Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique (/showthread.php?tid=11365)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - LiadansWhisper - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 12:56 PM)Blue Wrote: If the races design is truly profit-driven, and as such strongly based on demand, are we to imagine the next one will be Viera? People have been crying for it since that very first misfortunately worded poll back in 1.0...

It's quite possible that it will be.  However, Yoshi-P and company do seem inclined to do "surprises," and Viera would be the "expected" next race.  So we may end up with an actual Dragon race, or something completely different.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Kage - 04-29-2015

From what I saw, they -did- consider Viera but their art concepts were not what they wanted in the end so they didn't go with it. There were some screens somewhere with Viera concepts.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Mercer - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 12:56 PM)Blue Wrote: If the races design is truly profit-driven, and as such strongly based on demand, are we to imagine the next one will be Viera? People have been crying for it since that very first misfortunately worded poll back in 1.0...

That depends, I'd say it's likely. They were one of the races they attempted when Heavensward was in it's concept stages and there is a ton of concept out art about them. The Au Ra are a combination of two different race designs being hybridized into a final product, a combination of Demonic and Dragon concepts.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Mercer - 04-29-2015

One last thing before I head off.

Variety seems to be the name of the game here, people want more variety in the characters they want to create. I would like to reiterate that variety takes time. The Au Ra are something completely different that the game has not seen before. They stand out as very unique, given there demonic and draconic imagery, the wide size differences, the large variety of skin tones.

Do they rely heavily on moe and shonen themes? Yes, but nothing else in this game has really done that look. Regardless of how focus tested they maybe, they are definitely unique in the game world. It hints that Yoshi-P and the developers do want a diverse and strange world to explore, as each race does bring something unique to that table as far as looks, stature, muscle structure and diversity goes.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

As has been mentioned, "just" doing two tribes is effectively asking for four unique models, skeletons and motion-capture parts. This is what takes so long when designing new races, to my knowledge - Unless you want copy/pasted/palettechanged people, there's a lot of design and work that goes into them.

I hope we get more options in the future, too, but it's also true I'm happy with my characters at the current time.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - OttoVann - 04-29-2015

Id like to see the bunny people. It would be a profit driven thing too since like 65% of japanese characters are miqo, almost all female. More subscribers, more racial diversity, plus they look good and are tall.

Why not

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Wymsical - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 01:06 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: As has been mentioned, "just" doing two tribes is effectively asking for four unique models, skeletons and motion-capture parts. This is what takes so long when designing new races, to my knowledge - Unless you want copy/pasted/palettechanged people, there's a lot of design and work that goes into them.

I hope we get more options in the future, too, but it's also true I'm happy with my characters at the current time.

Additionally, half of Highlander and Roegadyn was already done so it was a lot less work to just add females. That's probably why Roegadyn and every other race are only palette swaps (and a few other details) and Hyur are the exception. 

I don't see two vastly differing clans/tribes happening again unless fewer gameplay/areas/ect are being added.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 01:11 PM)Wymsical Wrote: Additionally, half of Highlander and Roegadyn was already done so it was a lot less work to just add females. That's probably why Roegadyn and every other race are only palette swaps (and a few other details) and Hyur are the exception. 

I don't see two vastly differing clans/tribes happening again unless fewer gameplay/areas/ect are being added.

It actually goes a little further than that. I could be wrong but I thought that the split eye color was locked to Keepers at first before becoming a universal character option. There's a lot of homogenization in character creation now.

That is, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm trying to recall character building in 1.0 but it was a lifetime ago.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Flickering Ember - 04-29-2015

Here's the thing and it was mentioned in the previous thread. A race like Au Ra isn't bringing in a significant player base that wasn't there already. It is more of the same and I see it as a race that is essentially generating hype amongst the existing player base rather than pulling in new folks who don't feel represented in this game's character creation.

I would have passed on this game without female roegadyns being added. At this point it is the only races I would consider playing.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Kismet - 04-29-2015

If we had absolutely no "husky" races to choose from in XIV, I'd be more disappointed about the inclusion of the Au Ra. But that isn't the case. We have Highlanders and Roegadyn. A good handful of MMOs don't even have one "burly" option for players, let alone two. Is it equal to the amount of pretty races we have? No. Is it better than nothing? Very much so.

Now, if I'm going to touch on the limitations of the character creator itself (i.e. "why isn't this more like Aion/PSO2/Black Desert/etc?"), I like ones that are very involved. Even before I knew RP even existed as a thing anyone did, I just loved making characters. It's a fun process in itself. However, if the CC needs to be limited in order to make the rest of the game fantastic (and the LARGE majority of XIV is indeed fantastic), then I'm totally okay with that. It's a small price to pay, imo, for consistent high quality content updates and an attention to detail that most other studios are too cheap to give a damn about.

[insert obligatory commentary about how the PS3 is holding back XIV's true potential here]

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Zhavi - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 02:53 PM)Kismet Wrote: If we had absolutely no "husky" races to choose from in XIV, I'd be more disappointed about the inclusion of the Au Ra. But that isn't the case. We have Highlanders and Roegadyn. A good handful of MMOs don't even have one "burly" option for players, let alone two. Is it equal to the amount of pretty races we have? No. Is it better than nothing? Very much so.

The problem with them is more lore related than anything else, at least from my perspective of me being whiny.

That and, I dunno, highlanders are fierce but in the way of a fiercely beautiful Greek goddess. Roes are closer but they're lacking something (and their lore isn't terribly appealing to me). What I'd like is something a little more inhuman, a little more rugged, and a little more badass with some options that go for 'tough' over 'beautiful'.

I'm being exceptionally picky, but there you have it. *waves special snowflake flag*

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - industrythirteen - 04-29-2015

Personally, I'd like to know how the art team tests their designs. How do they choose what gets modeled? Do they run their models by others, test to see what is or isn't going to be picked? Do they test for eastern and western sensibilities? Maybe that bottom right Au Ra male face is super popular in japan, but I see it used less on the RPC and tumblr. 

I've found myself thinking, and sometimes saying out loud to no one but myself "Oh. If only this weren't there, or if that was over..." with many of the options. To me, I see a lot of wasted potential, but again, it's only my opinion. It's not just FFXIV, or the Au Ra (which I love, not to give anyone any impression otherwise.) I see it across the entire genre. 

Without fail, I have never seen any MMO change any character creator after beta, or take player feedback seriously regarding the character creator, or the models, or what options people would like to see in addition. Of course, I haven't played all MMOs, but I've played some of the bigger-named titles from the past twelve years. I've seen barber shops added, maybe some hair styles, but for the most part, what we get is what we get. I don't like it anymore than anyone else. And I'd like to think developers can do better. I'd like to see developers do better. 

A quick quip. Please indulge me. Not sure what happened to, and I paraphrase, "You'll be able to make the females look beastial, too." Except, I don't see anything that looks beastial, at all, and I wonder now if that's just something lost in translation, or if I just have an idea that radically differs from what Yoshi P thinks is beastial. Probably.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - SessionZero - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 03:27 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: A quick quip. Please indulge me. Not sure what happened to, and I paraphrase, "You'll be able to make the females look beastial, too." Except, I don't see anything that looks beastial, at all, and I wonder now if that's just something lost in translation, or if I just have an idea that radically differs from what Yoshi P thinks is beastial. Probably.

The wording used was something more akin to "succubus", which means something far removed from bestial in my opinion.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - industrythirteen - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 03:29 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 03:27 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: A quick quip. Please indulge me. Not sure what happened to, and I paraphrase, "You'll be able to make the females look beastial, too." Except, I don't see anything that looks beastial, at all, and I wonder now if that's just something lost in translation, or if I just have an idea that radically differs from what Yoshi P thinks is beastial. Probably.

The wording used was something more akin to "succubus", which means something far removed from bestial in my opinion.
I dunno, man. I still have a really different idea of what I think a succubus, even an FFXIV succubus, looks like.

RE: Character Creation: Assessment and Critique - Hyrist - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 01:38 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Here's the thing and it was mentioned in the previous thread. A race like Au Ra isn't bringing in a significant player base that wasn't there already. It is more of the same and I see it as a race that is essentially generating hype amongst the existing player base rather than pulling in new folks who don't feel represented in this game's character creation.

I would have passed on this game without female roegadyns being added. At this point it is the only races I would consider playing.

Its far too early to make any consequential statements about the attraction of any component of Heavensward to new players, because we are not currently at the Heavensward release point. While those can speculate that it is 'more of the same' that depends entirely on the perspective of the recipient. 

It is the same in the fact that it is a humanoid race with set variants appealing to a specific aesthetic style that follows the theme of protagonists in the game.

It is not the same in the fact that it is the first race featuring such a broad gender variation (size wise), and as of yet unwritten lore with its own in-storyline introduction. It is also the only available player race that can amount to possessing scales.

Unfortunately, a lot of what people seem to describe or desire as a new race or option tends imply that what they want is a full on beast-race of some sort, or closer too. Ignoring the lore difficulty aspect of having any race stray too far into beastmen territory, comes the system and writing manner in which such characters would find themselves at odds with such beast-men. (The common beastman insult of "Smoothskins" come to mind.)

If we are to get a future race, my preference and recommendation would be of a race that takes the gender-line trends of Au Ra and reverses them - featuring a larger, stronger, perhaps more angular females to their male counterparts, who would then be more demure.

However, that is not Au Ra - and I rather like Au Ra as it's presented.