Hydaelyn Role-Players
Inter-species Procreation. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Inter-species Procreation. (/showthread.php?tid=15485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Teadrinker - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 06:38 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?

Well I'm screwed... Since Aoi's child will only be half Au Ra...

As for your question, it'd depend how you'd want it to look but there's lots of way to go about it. Even in real life genetics there are dominate and recessive traits. It could be as simple as choosing a dominate side, as mentioned prior. Maybe a super short au ra for half lala? Might explain the 'boy' Fem Auri that we see walking about.

This is an area I don't really bother with because it just seems like a massive headache. If you have the child look one way then SE comes out and states "these hybrids looks THIS way!" Now you essentially have to retcon your child's appearance.

Just....meh.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Nodem - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 08:47 PM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:38 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?

Well I'm screwed... Since Aoi's child will only be half Au Ra...

As for your question, it'd depend how you'd want it to look but there's lots of way to go about it. Even in real life genetics there are dominate and recessive traits. It could be as simple as choosing a dominate side, as mentioned prior. Maybe a super short au ra for half lala? Might explain the 'boy' Fem Auri that we see walking about.

This is an area I don't really bother with because it just seems like a massive headache. If you have the child look one way then SE comes out and states "these hybrids looks THIS way!" Now you essentially have to retcon your child's appearance.

Just....meh.

Not really, because nothing states that all elezen hyur half breeds will look like Hilda. Players will, for obvious reasons, state this is the case and can only be that case. However genetics say that the child could look another way. Nothing to retcon. ^.^

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - allgivenover - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 07:52 PM)Nodem Wrote: I've seen a few female Au Ra walking about with the search comment "Is a pretty boy" or the like. That's what I meant by my boy fem au ra comment.

-____________-

The sexual dimorphism is so great that a transgender Au Ra would be a nightmare scenario.

EDIT: This is kinda lore-breaky to me, Au Ra dimorphism is a signature trait of the race, but whatever, people should do what they want to do. I'll just be off ignoring it in my own social bubble.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Warren Castille - 03-08-2016

So, to sum up:

Cross-breeds are beholden to no rules or lore, and can do whatever they want practically. Just be mindful that some people will just nope out of the situation because you shouldn't really exist.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 11:08 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: So, to sum up:

Cross-breeds are beholden to no rules or lore, and can do whatever they want practically. Just be mindful that some people will just nope out of the situation because you shouldn't really exist.
Unless you're a plant.

Cross breed plants are lore approved.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Teadrinker - 03-09-2016

Stop making me rep like everything you post. Jeez.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Pascaleret - 03-09-2016

(03-08-2016, 11:33 PM)McBeef© Wrote:

Unless you're a plant.

I plant chives with glazenuts to make peppers. Does that mean a roegadyn and an elezen make a miqo'te?

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 01:36 AM)Threed Crowley Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 11:33 PM)McBeef© Wrote:

Unless you're a plant.

I plant chives with glazenuts to make peppers. Does that mean a roegadyn and an elezen make a miqo'te?
Sure why not.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Shofie - 03-12-2016

Usually in cases where wildly different-looking parents can have offspring, the child will take more heavily after one parent or the other--and this works pretty well in the context of Eorzea, since we are limited by the character creator anyway. (We're all basically made of aether anyway, right?)

For example, my RP partner's character is half-miqo'te, half-highlander, and for all intents and purposes is a miqo'te, though he's much taller than a normal miqo'te. Stuff like that.

There's absolutely no reason mixed-race characters can't exist; we have them in the game established, and developers have flatly said they can exist, but usually don't for cultural reasons (i.e. it's not likely a elezen is going to cross paths with a miqo'te for the most part, but it could happen).