Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra Naming Conventions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra Naming Conventions (/showthread.php?tid=12122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Blythe - 06-18-2015

Nnnnngghh, these are wonderdul. But it sucks because I don't know which tribe Nalli would have belonged to before her surname went into cultural assimilation in Eorzea.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - C'io Behkt - 06-18-2015

Where was this gorgeous list of diversity when they were making the Miqo'te?

I am crying from joy and jealousy, oh my goodness. DIVERSITYYY

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Geisterfuchs - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 01:19 PM)C Wrote: Where was this gorgeous list of diversity when they were making the Miqo'te?

I prefer the Miqo ones. Why? Less specific. More things you can just make up.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Seye Qhesu - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 01:11 PM)Blythe Wrote: Nnnnngghh, these are wonderdul. But it sucks because I don't know which tribe Nalli would have belonged to before her surname went into cultural assimilation in Eorzea.
At the end of the post there is this blub-

'The Othardian steppe is a vast region, therefore, every so often, one may come across a Xaela with a surname that is not found on the list of 51. This may mean that they are from a clan that was recently destroyed or absorbed. It may mean that they are of a new tribe that was formed by members leaving another. It may mean they are of a tribe that remained hidden in the northern mountains.'

This allows players who do not like any of the tribes listed to more or less create their own as long as it follows the naming conventions.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - D'aito Kuji - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 01:19 PM)C Wrote: Where was this gorgeous list of diversity when they were making the Miqo'te?

I had zero plans to roll a new character or change the one I have but WOW, the lore is soooo good.  I'm going to try to resist.  But I might think up a name and a tribe just in case.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Arik - 06-18-2015

I was originally considering a 'raised by Doman Hyur in tiny village' concept (resulting in a sort of xaela firstname + adopted doman surname convention) after either being separated from his original tribe or his original clan being destroyed in some tribal warfare. But now that there are so many cool concepts available from actual canon, I'm seriously torn. Dx To a degree, I'd come up with that contingency plan due to paranoia we'd either get the info seriously late or else when we *did* get it, it'd be too vague to comfortably work with... Boy were my fears on the latter unfounded. I might still go with some variation on my original plan, but hnnnngh some of these are so coooool.

This is going to take some more research and brainstorming, I think. At least I now know Verik likely won't quite work as a first name without shoehorning it in there-- But Arik might be a good compromise. (Thanks, internet.)

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Zhavi - 06-18-2015

MONGOLIAN MONGOLIAN MONGOLIAN MONGOLIAN

[Image: T9WNs6C.gif]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am so happy.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - C'io Behkt - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 01:28 PM)Geisterfuchs Wrote:

IF the mind police allow you to. But I accept your point.

However, what I love most is that this is a list of tribal concepts which are not so heavily focused on sexual or gender politics. The emphasis on mating that so many miqo'te bring to the game because of the lore is very off-putting to me.

Marrying horses and making charcoal out of poo? I'd prefer it.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Valtiere - 06-18-2015

I had a feeling they were going to wait for the servers to go down before giving us this stuff. Mass name-change incoming...

Now that I've seen the names I think I might end up going with a Xaela after all. I speak no Japanese and those Raen conventions seem daunting to say the least; even after looking at the resources people have posted here and in another thread it makes my head spin. Plus I think I like the sound of the Himaa tribe... I might go with that.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Miko Shiroi - 06-18-2015

I really, really love how unique and interesting the Au Ri (is that the proper plural form of Au Ra?) culture is. I think ancient Mongolian and Japanese names are a great way to go so people can have the Eastern names they wanted without so much of the stereotypical and common ones about.

Of course, I especially love the fact that the Xaela tribes each have quirky little traditions and behaviors that are unique to their specific tribe. SE really outdid themselves with naming conventions on this one.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Haven's Fox - 06-18-2015

Auri is the plural of Au Ra. It's listed a few times in their intros and in the naming convention thread too.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Gegenji - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 02:43 PM)Haven Wrote: Auri is the plural of Au Ra. It's listed a few times in their intros and in the naming convention thread too.

... I thought it was Au Ra for singular and plural, but Auri for adjectives? One Au Ra, two Au Ra, an Auri child. Or did that get changed up again? Huh

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Meena - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 02:23 PM)Talandir Valenfort Wrote: I had a feeling they were going to wait for the servers to go down before giving us this stuff. Mass name-change incoming...

Now that I've seen the names I think I might end up going with a Xaela after all. I speak no Japanese and those Raen conventions seem daunting to say the least; even after looking at the resources people have posted here and in another thread it makes my head spin. Plus I think I like the sound of the Himaa tribe... I might go with that.
The names are really easy to do for Rean, as a Japanese classics major, maybe I can help you? Big Grin I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Edo and Heian Japanese!

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - V'aleera - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 02:46 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 02:43 PM)Haven Wrote: Auri is the plural of Au Ra. It's listed a few times in their intros and in the naming convention thread too.

... I thought it was Au Ra for singular and plural, but Auri for adjectives?
This is correct.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Meena - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 02:23 PM)C Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 01:28 PM)Geisterfuchs Wrote:

However, what I love most is that this is a list of tribal concepts which are not so heavily focused on sexual or gender politics. The emphasis on mating that so many miqo'te bring to the game because of the lore is very off-putting to me.

Sadly, this would still be the case, the Devs stated that they werent changing lore regarding the gender ratio, in any civilisation if there are less of one gender than anothe genetically, group marriages happen to sustain population. Population and fertility is  amassive part of community. Empires fall without succession even in the lower classes.

I wish people would stop seeing that as a negative thing, it really isnt. You can be creative with it.