Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Sultansworn RP Guide - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Sultansworn RP Guide (/showthread.php?tid=8358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Kage - 01-21-2015

You'll be looking for this stuff in the Hildibrand quest line.

Show Content

I just want o be cheeky and remind people that the noun sultanate is a word referring to either the rank or power of the sultan, or the land/country/area ruled by sultan.

Ul'dah is essentially the sultanate if you take that cheeky answer.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aya - 01-21-2015

My impression of the Sultan Sworn, honestly, is that they're like the Royal Guards around Europe.  They wear the fancy uniforms, strut around and drill, and are technically there to protect the monarch, but are really mostly there for show. 

I think the player base really likes them though and has kind of pressed upon them a more prominent role.  Besides, the majority of Ul'dah "officialdom" RPers are Sultansworn, I think, so its nice to take advantage of that even if it may not be strictly canon.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 01:43 PM)Aya Wrote: My impression of the Sultan Sworn, honestly, is that they're like the Royal Guards around Europe.  They wear the fancy uniforms, strut around and drill, and are technically there to protect the monarch, but are really mostly there for show.

That would be all well and good except we see them clearly in-game along certain quest lines doing much more than just standing around for show.

(01-21-2015, 01:48 PM)Coatleque Wrote: That would be all well and good except we see them clearly in-game along certain quest lines doing much more than just standing around for show.
Hildebrand? Since that quest chain name keeps getting floated around Smile

(01-21-2015, 01:50 PM)Aya Wrote: Hildebrand? Since that quest chain name keeps getting floated around Smile

And also the Ul'dah starting MSQ line. You help the Sworn go after a thief who stole the royal crown. At one point Papashan shows up with an entire company of Sworn to help you fight the Ascian's thugs.

(01-21-2015, 01:51 PM)Coatleque Wrote: And also the Ul'dah starting MSQ line.  You help the Sworn go after a thief who stole the royal crown.  At one point Papashan shows up with an entire company of Sworn to help you fight the Ascian's thugs.
That makes sense!  I know that its clear that they're involved with anything directly effecting the Sultana.  The only quests I've done that mention them, the later MSQ, basically just call them glorified bodyguards (though I took that for being banter given the way it was delivered ^^).

Regardless, it doesn't really matter to me.  I love our Sultan Sworn!

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Kage - 01-21-2015

One of the biggest things in the MSQ (way back for some of us or not at all since it's the Ul'dah stuff!) was when we first met Papashan and Nanamo. There was that lost item that gave the Sultana her credibility (crown? the symbol of her power of rule and the Ul line's legacy) which had the Sultansworn conducting their own investigations and raid. The crown was to be returned to the Sultansworn in exchange for something in the royal vaults (THE ZOMBIE POWER "again"). Rauhbahn was the one to task Papashan with a group of 'Sworn to help the poor Sultansworn who donefuckedup.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Melkire - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 01:43 PM)Kage Wrote: I just want o be cheeky and remind people that the noun sultanate is a word referring to either the rank or power of the sultan, or the land/country/area ruled by sultan.

Ul'dah is essentially the sultanate if you take that cheeky answer.

"Sultanate" essentially means the sovereignty of the sultan(a). Ul'dah as a city with its peoples can go on without the Line of Ul, should they be overthrown or abdicate.

It's like the distinction between a kingdom and its country. Take medieval England, for instance (more specifically, London). The cities and peoples didn't cease to be when the Normans took over. It was still the same place (albeit name changes b/c to the victor go the spoils yadda yadda yadda), but the sovereignty had changed.

In the vast majority of cases, the distinction won't matter. But sometimes, it will.

Think of Sultanate as you would Dynasty.

China was ruled by a Dynasty. The Dynasty ruled over all of China.

Thanalan is ruled by a Sultanate.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Melkire - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 04:11 PM)Coatleque Wrote: Think of Sultanate as you would Dynasty.

China was ruled by a Dynasty.  The Dynasty ruled over all of China.

Thanalan is ruled by a Sultanate.

That's the word I couldn't think of. Thank you.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Sounsyy - 01-22-2015

So, I was doing the Lv.30 Alchemy quest "Baleful Brews" and stumbled across this interesting tidbit. Further expanding upon the misconception that Sultansworn just stand around in the palace all day.

[Image: 1CX7IGB.png]

Have fun doing deep undercover work. ^^

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Kage - 01-22-2015

Yep, you can definitely do whatever you can to halt crime against the sultanate (note theft in palace/ "bloodlest heist in the palace").

Also note that she is not primarily a sword user (not that we did not know this)

Show Content

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Sounsyy - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 01:26 PM)Kage Wrote:
Show Content

I'm okay with this...

Godbertia?
Mandervillage?
Julyannia?
City of the Golden LB Hammer?

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Berrod Armstrong - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 01:40 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:26 PM)Kage Wrote: