Hydaelyn Role-Players
Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it (/showthread.php?tid=6287)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Kage - 02-25-2014

I actually don't know what ilvl my FC's OT was but I popped all my CDs during the first DN. For first wave bugs I drew aggro but I figured it's not that bad considering we were all grouped for AOEs and healing anyway. Plus I was told to flare bomb and so did the other BLM until we told him to go DRG.

I did draw aggro on the wave 2 Soldier but I didn't pay attention to that and just let the OT do his thing while I worked on it. Should the two magic (if there are two) be separated?

What are the best potions to use to regain MP at this point?

My group seems to always be stuck at wave5-6 if anything. I know some have cleared it when PuGing and looking into other strats but I think they've only cleared T4 once as mostly a "static"

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aleister - 02-25-2014

(02-25-2014, 04:04 PM)ExKage Wrote: I actually don't know what ilvl my FC's OT was but I popped all my CDs during the first DN. For first wave bugs I drew aggro but I figured it's not that bad considering we were all grouped for AOEs and healing anyway. Plus I was told to flare bomb and so did the other BLM until we told him to go DRG.

I did draw aggro on the wave 2 Soldier but I didn't pay attention to that and just let the OT do his thing while I worked on it. Should the two magic (if there are two) be separated?
No, never make them split off and dps seperate soldiers. You're gonna wanna focus the first one down that doesn't have the caster absorbing stoneskin on it and move on to the next one together. Never branch off and kill separate things on your own in T4, kill in the assigned order given for your group comp.

(02-25-2014, 06:26 PM)Aleister Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 04:04 PM)ExKage Wrote: I actually don't know what ilvl my FC's OT was but I popped all my CDs during the first DN. For first wave bugs I drew aggro but I figured it's not that bad considering we were all grouped for AOEs and healing anyway. Plus I was told to flare bomb and so did the other BLM until we told him to go DRG.

No, never make them split off and dps seperate soldiers. You're gonna wanna focus the first one down that doesn't have the caster absorbing stoneskin on it and move on to the next one together. Never branch off and kill separate things on your own in T4, kill in the assigned order given for your group comp.

That's the thing. The group essentially split us two BLM up onto both soldiers (me on the OT the other on the MT). I was told to go to the OT's soldier.

(02-25-2014, 03:18 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 02:59 PM)synaesthetic Wrote: I pull aggro off i80 tanks without even trying. 

I do Wave 1 the way I do it because I want to save Quelling Strikes for the Wave 5 dreadnought.

Also the rest of your response shows that you're working purely with theory and not experience.

Additionally, BLM is not even close to the best single-target DPS in the game. We're behind MNK, DRG and SMN. My SMN is (slightly) lesser-geared than my BLM and has only 15 points into INT and yet they parse extremely closely.

Ahh, just saying I have i90 PLD and do T4 every week. I never have DPS pull mobs off me. I think your strategy is a work around for a tank that has low threat output. Like I said, if it works for you it works for you, but it just seems a rather convoluted way to go around it. Good tanks in T4 should have no problem with threat, regardless of the amount of dps, and since most groups wipe because of a lack of DPS, telling a new BLM to worry about threat is questionable advice. BLM should be worrying about maximizing DPS, kill orders, and when to use cooldowns, it's the tank's job to worry about threat, not theirs. If you are a BLM and you pull threat, don't sweat it, I'll cover you.

Just because I don't think your T4 strategy is universally applicable for all BLMs in all groups, doen't mean I "am working purely with theory and not experience".
Its also skill input, when I pugged coil for a bit I even saw i90 tanks losing hate to dps.. gotta factor that in as well. I tell my dps to never hold back in T4 because its a race lol but it does seem like you're workin around the tank though Aeri. o.o

(02-25-2014, 06:29 PM)ExKage Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 06:26 PM)Aleister Wrote:

That's the thing. The group essentially split us two BLM up onto both soldiers (me on the OT the other on the MT). I was told to go to the OT's soldier.
How is that working out? Not trying to sound rude, I am just curious because I see that as a no no. It would just take longer to kill the the adds which is something you don't want. Bigger no no if the melee are doing the same and then helping you guys with it cause of the melee stonekin they have.

(02-25-2014, 06:33 PM)Aleister Wrote: How is that working out? Not trying to sound rude, I am just curious because I see that as a no no. It would just take longer to kill the the adds which is something you don't want. Bigger no no if the melee are doing the same and then helping you guys with it cause of the melee stonekin they have.
It isn't working out well at all. I don't know what the best order for them is either. They don't regularly clear T4 and apparently they usually get walled at phase 5 too.

I think they usually have 2 PLD, 2WHM, 1 BRD, 1 MNK, 1 SMN, 1DRG/BLM

Switch up depending on turn but I think that's their 4 setup.

I was just sorta pugging it with them since a few in the static were gone and I guess they decided to let me join XD

How it is suppose for phase 2 is that casters kill the Main Tank Soldiers and melee kill Knight on the MT once those are dead they switch over to the Off Tank's adds and kill the exact same ones they were killing on the MT's side. Now if you only have 1 caster dps have the melee help kill the Soldier. How they are doing it would just increase the duration of the fight and not promise you'll live through Phase 6.

They should really stick to the methods that have proven to work instead. :S So they aren't stressing over doing it in a method that is unneed

I honestly don't know if they haven't tried it before or if they just haven't checked it out. But they had 2-3 dps on the MT while they said I whale away on the OT. Some of those who PUG and clear T4-T5 mentioned it was possible that they weren't doing it in order (but not when most of the static was around).

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - synaesthetic - 02-27-2014

The way my group does Wave 2:

Put your two magic damage folks on the MT's Clockwork Soldier. Put your two physical damage folks on the OT's Knight. Swap when they die. This way, the tank can focus threat generation on one mob and only have to worry about healing threat on the other two which is pretty mild at this point.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Kage - 02-28-2014

Thanks for your input!

I feel like a lot of groups have a good way to do things, having already had a set group composition and strategy worked out.

At this moment I seem to be in a follow the PuG strat and hope it works out.

Case: Last Saturday we did T4 with 2 PLD, 1 MNK, 2 WHM, 2 BLM (or 1BLM+DRG), and 1 BRD. Perhaps it was my DPS being lower, but we had a lot of roadblocks in Wave 3 getting the Dread before the Rooks.

2nd Case: When I did it this with week 2 PLD, 1 MNK, 1 BRD, (either 2 SCH or mix of 1 WHM+SCH I forgot), 1 SMN, 1 BLM....

In the first case I didn't have zenith and focused on the OT's Soldier. In the second I did have zenith and focused on MT's soldier before switching to OT's and we didn't have issues taking them down before the Dread came in.

Everyone tells me I'm doing fine as BLM but I always feel bad (at myself) because we're not doing well. I've heard T4 is a DPS check and as DPS it gives me anxiety when we wipe... I swear it must be raised as one of those must over-achieve Chinese daughters thing.

I want to thank everyone for your help!

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - synaesthetic - 03-02-2014

Past wave 3, T4 is more of a coordination check than a DPS check. Most of our wipes in waves 5-6 during the learning period were not due to lack of DPS, but due to healers being eaten by the wave 6 soldier/knight or being cleaved by the DN.

If you can burn the wave 3 DN before bugs fall in wave 4, then you have enough DPS.