Hydaelyn Role-Players
Cliques and RP Etiquette - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Cliques and RP Etiquette (/showthread.php?tid=10229)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Rosamund - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:16 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I personally would love to see the Adventurer guilds (or the Bismark) get some more use in other cities. It's kind of a bummer when my non-Ul'dahn alts have to head to Ul'dah for the brunt of most RP.

Yes, please! I've RPed in the Bismarck and Wench but both seem so quiet in comparison to Ul'dah. It's a shame to waste such a beautiful (in my opinion) location.

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Berrod Armstrong - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:16 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I personally would love to see the Adventurer guilds (or the Bismark) get some more use in other cities.  It's kind of a bummer when my non-Ul'dahn alts have to head to Ul'dah for the brunt of most RP.
I believe part of solving this problem lies in -not- heading to Ul'Dah. Stay in the other places, emote around, ask a couple friends to join, let it spread!

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 05:48 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(02-23-2015, 03:16 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I personally would love to see the Adventurer guilds (or the Bismark) get some more use in other cities.  It's kind of a bummer when my non-Ul'dahn alts have to head to Ul'dah for the brunt of most RP.
I believe part of solving this problem lies in -not- heading to Ul'Dah. Stay in the other places, emote around, ask a couple friends to join, let it spread!

i'm up for meeting people in other places if they wish! just let me know stuffs happening and if i'm free; i'm there fast >u<

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - C'kayah Polaali - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 05:48 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:

Personally I feel the opposite. I started on Balmung in Gridania (Archer/Conjurer RPer, yo!), and found so little RP around there as to make it practically nonexistent. It wasn't until I went to Ul'dah that I really found any at all.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll do it again: The #1 technique I use to find RP is simply to send cold tells to people. If I'm bored and want RP, I'll sit somewhere where there are a lot of RPers (The Quicksand, the main drag of Ul'dah, at the aetheryte plaza, etc) and simply examine people. I'll look for people walking (they're almost always RPers out trolling for RP), or people with some sort of RPish tag in their search info.

And then I'll send them a tell.

"Hi! I see you're a roleplayer! What sort of RP are you looking for?"

Something short and simple. I don't ask for RP - not in that first tell. Instead, I'm just asking what they like. Whoever they are, they're already doing something - they're going to turn in a quest, or looking for RP themselves, or whatever. If I ask for RP right off the bat, then I'm immediately trying to pull them away from whatever that is. Why should they? They don't know me. Asking about what they like, though, takes an interest in them, and tries to start a conversation that is about you listening to them. It's not 100% successful, of course. Lots of people are too shy or too busy or not interested or simply afk. But that's okay, because lots of people will respond to tell you about their RP. Then you can have a conversation about that: What do they like, what do you like, how might your characters run into each other. You're finding common ground, and that often flows naturally into actually RPing together.

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Kage - 02-23-2015

^ I don't remember why but Kayah had someone looking for Kage for some reason or another and I wasn't really doing anything... Someone simply sent me a tell. We got to talking and we figured one of the easiest ways for the two to start talking.

On another point, it's also -extremely- hard for me to avoid the Quicksand even while not RPing.

In my head I know it is an RP hub. It hasn't always been that way for me though. I've always run through lots of things in Quicksand OOCly and before it was always a place for me to just chill. While I've used it for months on end for RP, I've also had it for OOC uses and there are people who do see it that way.

A little other anecdote. At one point in time my character was both amnesiac and out of his natural form so to speak. So he was in a different city, wandering around and doing business for the guy who took him in. Things render so nicely I saw certain people I knew RPing around and I thought "wow this could be either a really great RP moment or... maybe not."

The thing is I never took that chance to just send a /tell and say something or ask if it was possible to have the character stumble upon them and introduce more drama even though I could clearly see some of the characters though not the text.

I play "what if?" with that all the time. It might be beating a dead horse, but even with those who you frequently RP with more often than others, it's always good to have communication.

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Tiergan - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:26 AM)sforze Wrote: I'm doin' it. I'm gonna start parking my ass at the Drowning Wench until it becomes hip. You saw it here first -- I'm making it A Thing.

Now spearheading the "Make All Adventurer Guilds Into RP Hubs" Initiative.

New plan: Have terrible, wonderful drinking contests in the Drowning Wench.

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Chris Ganale - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:26 AM)sforze Wrote: I'm doin' it. I'm gonna start parking my ass at the Drowning Wench until it becomes hip. You saw it here first -- I'm making it A Thing.
You would say that now that I look at my character list and realize I have all of them hanging out in the Gridania/Ul'dah area.

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Klynzahr - 02-24-2015

(02-23-2015, 05:50 PM)Tiergan Wrote:

Count me in!

(Once I pay for a character transfer... ahem... yeah.)

RE: Cliques and RP Etiquette - Gurren Dai - 02-24-2015

(02-23-2015, 05:50 PM)Tiergan Wrote:

I would totally pay to see that.

I doubt Solaire would even try it, but I know she'd go to watch!