Hydaelyn Role-Players
Liberal police state - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Liberal police state (/showthread.php?tid=11677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Liberal police state - Ignacius - 05-19-2015

On that note, what the Hell is a "liberal" police state?  I mean, leftist I'd understand, but liberal police state is an oxymoron.  A police state is, by definition, totalitarian.

RE: Liberal police state - Erik Mynhier - 05-19-2015

So I read all of it. Very slowly I watched this thread unfold all day. I wanted to post here and there but wanted to get a feel and understanding of both sides. I believe what I am seeing is a growing/changing community. A year ago we had a smaller site here. Sure numbers were there but I only counted maybe 15 active posters, myself included. Yes I know there were more then 15 users on the site, and more then that posted, but those 15-20 were the majority of posts. Now a year later, the number of majority posters have doubled. I count about 30 people who post most of the posts.

So as the numbers go up, new ideas showed up. More people meant more conflicting opinions. Now it wasn't just WHM/DRG threads that flamed, but many different things not set off arguments. New words (not really new but new here) started appearing. Words like hyperbole, echo chamber, baiting, populars, hugbox, and so on. In what seems like a sudden shift, but looking back was a gradual change, the site became divisive. So mods do as they normally do, claim rules had always been the rules, and began to enforce them more then they did. This causes some (mostly long time users) to become irritated. Yes the rules were always there in some form, but the smaller size of the community allowed for more personal interactions, fewer people, with fewer misunderstandings because everyone knew everyone and there was an understanding of people. Older users remember that personal feel, that looser use of rules and feel the tightening as the rules are changed to effectively handle the larger and less personal community.

A similar situation has been effecting the Red Wings for the last few months. Where as we are still personal and friends, as our numbers have grown, rules had to be put in place where before it was more an understanding among friends. Again we are all friends and friendly, but as different people joined, with differences in how they do things, it had to be organized more and became less personal. An example I can give is that in the early days of the FC there was no rule on bad mouthing or being toxic, however when a few new people joined, several members decided that they were not like them or something like that. Names were called, like "terrible" and "bitch", and even though they tried hard to not let it be known what was said behind the back, my ears are sharp, and friendships with others outside the fc leaned to me things said in confidence. This back and forth, old and new, caused a rift. Feelings were hurt, moves made in secret, friendship and understanding were lost. There was no set rule about such behavior and yet I thought it was understood, and as the fc leader that was my shortcoming I felt.

I do things differently now. The fc is no longer run on a "gentleman's agreement" as it was before. There are rules in place to keep fragmentation from growing as it did. Rules that protect new members from distrust and disrespect. And a more cut and dry, and by virtue, a more transparent method of punishment. We recently let a member go, something in the past I never would have done. This was more then a fc I use to think, its a family.... but it is not. The member in question violated rules, was warned publicly, and on the third warning removed from the rolls. I felt bad but it had to be done. To me as the oldest member here, I can see what we are now, and though good and even stronger and more focused then we were, I can see what was lost. And on that I worried that I would dry up my own fc, and a few did go, but in time were replaced by better people. And though it is less "a family" now, there is a focus now, a feeling of unity. We are all on the same page, no room to misunderstand what is expected, and from that transparency we form friendships which feel more trustworthy.

So from all that I sort of see on a larger scale what is happening in the RPC. More and more people coming in, different ways of seeing things (ie, gifs disruptive & gifs not disruptive), rules changing to meet the needs, hells even new leadership on the way. There will be whispers in secret, feelings hurt, and so on. But if we manage to hold fast through the changes, we may come out stronger then ever.

RE: Liberal police state - Aduu Avagnar - 05-19-2015

Show Content

The whole thing about Meme's was brought up before the new moderation policy was put in place. A lengthy discussion was had, and as far as I was aware most people here were involved in that discussion also, and I had thought had come to accept, if not fully agree with said rules and clarifications provided (see above).

RE: Liberal police state - Edvyn - 05-19-2015

ive been noticing this weird pattern where people who push for the rpc to be handled with kid gloves are also super condescending to people who disagree with them

kinda goes against the philosophy, doesn't it?

the "tolerant" people are the least tolerant of all

Mod Note: Belittling/Baiting. User was warned for this post. - Melkire

No one is calling for kid gloves. The mods decided that it was required to actually be more stringent with the rules that everyone agreed to when signing up to the website.

That's being responsible and owning what you say.

(05-19-2015, 09:33 AM)Ignacius Wrote: On that note, what the Hell is a "liberal" police state?  I mean, leftist I'd understand, but liberal police state is an oxymoron.  A police state is, by definition, totalitarian.
it's probably the same sort of thing as a Liberal Fascist.... at least in the way that it tends to be used now.

RE: Liberal police state - allgivenover - 05-19-2015

This topic having over a hundred replies and thousands of views is just sad. No wonder Freelance is jumping the admin ship.

RE: Liberal police state - Gone. - 05-19-2015

(05-19-2015, 10:15 AM)allgivenover Wrote: This topic having over a hundred replies and thousands of views is just sad. No wonder Freelance is jumping the admin ship.

I don't think posts like this really help the situation any.

(05-19-2015, 10:07 AM)Nako Wrote: No one is calling for kid gloves. The mods decided that it was required to actually be more stringent with the rules that everyone agreed to when signing up to the website.

and why did the mods decide that, i wonder? could it be because roleplayers were doing what roleplayers do best and making drama out of nothing?

the rules revisions weren't a random decision made on the fly, they were a reaction to a barrage of complaints

i have seen this kind of ridiculous shit happen in pretty much every rp community ive been part of (and it probably wasnt just me, surely im not that much of an impact on people). someone inevitably works themselves into rectal fission over the idea that they're being picked on, these people gradually form a loud and demanding group, administration goes on a witch hunt and things that were never seen as a problem in the past are suddenly mortal sins

it always happens, it's a fucking farce when it happens and im both amazed and appalled that it keeps happening no matter where i go

when will you people learn???

youre gonna miss me when im gone

RE: Liberal police state - Nebbs - 05-19-2015

(05-19-2015, 10:23 AM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 10:15 AM)allgivenover Wrote: This topic having over a hundred replies and thousands of views is just sad. No wonder Freelance is jumping the admin ship.

I am lamenting that non game/RP related posts are taking over

(05-19-2015, 10:26 AM)Nebbs Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 10:23 AM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:

I am lamenting that non game/RP related posts are taking over

^ This here. 

The RPC has increasingly become more about arguing the meta of the website itself than having to do with role-play. 

Hell, if it were me in control this topic would have been gone the moment I saw it. And if OP and others didn't like it or wanted to cry about a "liberal police state", I'd tell them that the RPC is a privately owned website and that I didn't owe them shit. They're free to go make their own role play website where tedious off topic debate is allowed.

(05-19-2015, 10:25 AM)Edvyn Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 10:07 AM)Nako Wrote: No one is calling for kid gloves. The mods decided that it was required to actually be more stringent with the rules that everyone agreed to when signing up to the website.

and why did the mods decide that, i wonder? could it be because roleplayers were doing what roleplayers do best and making drama out of nothing?

the rules revisions weren't a random decision made on the fly, they were a reaction to a barrage of complaints

i have seen this kind of ridiculous shit happen in pretty much every rp community ive been part of (and it probably wasnt just me, surely im not that much of an impact on people). someone inevitably works themselves into rectal fission over the idea that they're being picked on, these people gradually form a loud and demanding group, administration goes on a witch hunt and things that were never seen as a problem in the past are suddenly mortal sins

it always happens, it's a fucking farce when it happens and im both amazed and appalled that it keeps happening no matter where i go

personally? no I won't but that's cause I don't feel we're close, and as such, it will simply be a meh feeling. I will think it is sad that you felt you had to leave, but that will be it.

The reason, to my knowledge, that the rules were clarified was that the moderation team felt that the environment within the RPC had deteriorated to a point were taking action was felt to be an appropriate step. They are also members of the community, and have a fairly good grasp of the environment they want to promote. Most of them having been here since 1.0.

Yes, the number of complaints received likely went up as the community deteriorated. Which it did. That is a basic causality, and likely to be expected.

Also, to state that 'things that were never seen as a problem in the past are suddenly mortal sins' is a gross error. They were always against the rules, however there was more leniency given in that past. It is now felt that the leniency has been taken advantage of, and the mods are now being more proactive.

Don't like the rules? No one is telling you to stay.

RE: Liberal police state - Mountie - 05-19-2015

If I remember correctly, what I just read in his post states that he is stepping down for personal reasons. I doubt I'm the only one - new as I may be - that sees this comment of yours as a bit of a stretch.

1. The thread is posted in Off-Topic, which I would believe everyone browses for some laughs and insanity.

2. The original posts were simply in place to establish how silly the accusation of "police state" was.

3. From there the conversation simply grew as a conflict. The masses love conflicts. Don't believe me, watch the news. Conflict conflict filler conflict. And so more people - such as myself - threw their hat into the ring.

And so here we are. I don't think this thread as a whole reflects negatively on the RPC, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I personally find that making obscure statements that impede upon the privacy that another has asked for is nothing short of rude.

Let individuals discuss what they will, but don't name drop. And most certainly do not drop names for reasons which you do not truly comprehend.

(05-19-2015, 10:34 AM)Nako Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 10:25 AM)Edvyn Wrote:

personally? no I won't but that's cause I don't feel we're close, and as such, it will simply be a meh feeling. I will think it is sad that you felt you had to leave, but that will be it.

The reason, to my knowledge, that the rules were clarified was that the moderation team felt that the environment within the RPC had deteriorated to a point were taking action was felt to be an appropriate step. They are also members of the community, and have a fairly good grasp of the environment they want to promote. Most of them having been here since 1.0.

Yes, the number of complaints received likely went up as the community deteriorated. Which it did. That is a basic causality, and likely to be expected.

Also, to state that 'things that were never seen as a problem in the past are suddenly mortal sins' is a gross error. They were always against the rules, however there was more leniency given in that past. It is now felt that the leniency has been taken advantage of, and the mods are now being more proactive.

Don't like the rules? No one is telling you to stay.
it's like you didn't even read my post, you're just spouting the same tired points you've been trying to smugly shut other people down with for the past month or so

the mods felt this the mods felt that community deterioration theyve been round a long time they must be right dont like it leave youre wrong but im not gonna tell you why im just gonna use words like "causality" and "error" to make my arguments for me instead

i dont like the rules so im gonna bitch about them incessantly until im forced to stop, and then when im forced to stop im just gonna bitch somewhere else, i will bitch so goddamn hard that my keyboard will be sticky with sweat, tears, spilt coffee and drool

im gonna throw tantrums the likes of which the internet's never (read: always) seen and you're gonna watch me

Mod Note: Attempting to undermine moderator actions/decisions, Section 4. User was warned for this post. Warning resulted in 100% warning level and a one week temporary ban. - Melkire

(05-19-2015, 10:36 AM)Riordyn Ashentyr Wrote:

If I remember correctly, what I just read in his post states that he is stepping down for personal reasons. I doubt I'm the only one - new as I may be - that sees this comment of yours as a bit of a stretch.

1. The thread is posted in Off-Topic, which I would believe everyone browses for some laughs and insanity.

2. The original posts were simply in place to establish how silly the accusation of "police state" was.

3. From there the conversation simply grew as a conflict. The masses love conflicts. Don't believe me, watch the news. Conflict conflict filler conflict. And so more people - such as myself - threw their hat into the ring.

And so here we are. I don't think this thread as a whole reflects negatively on the RPC, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I personally find that making obscure statements that impede upon the privacy that another has asked for is nothing short of rude.

Let individuals discuss what they will, but don't name drop. And most certainly do not drop names for reasons which you do not truly comprehend.

I'm just going on a limb here and guessing that in addition to this topic Freelance's private message box is probably stuffed with angry messages. 

I don't know Freelance at all really, but watching what goes on here all the time and having been a mod elsewhere I've seen what angry forum users will do to an inbox, and there's certainly a LOT more anger here than where I was a mod. 

So yeah, I'm speculating about private reasons, but that's a far cry from name dropping. Name dropping is something you do to make yourself seem more important in a certain community. I don't see how bringing up Freelance's PUBLIC statement to step down and speculating that it might be because managing this place is a nightmare is name dropping.

Finally, I don't see the point in telling me to "let people" do anything. I'm not a mod and would never ever seek to be one here after seeing the shit this community is capable of stirring up. So how about we turn that back on you and I tell you to "let me" say my piece about a topic that I frankly think is shitting up the community here?