Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:30 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: People can RP however they want and you're an ass if you try and force a certain style of RP for everyone.

Grow up.

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. If people want to role-play something unusual then they're free to - that doesn't make someone an 'ass' for raising an eyebrow if they encounter a character that uses aether portals to conjure up a fleshy appendage or someone claiming to be the long lost brother of Hildibrand.

Yes but we don't have to make a thread telling people they're "Doing it Wrong", as if there is one true and proper holy way to play an entire 'race' of sentient beings.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: People can RP however they want and you're an ass if you try and force a certain style of RP for everyone.

Grow up.

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. If people want to role-play something unusual then they're free to - that doesn't make someone an 'ass' for raising an eyebrow if they encounter a character that uses aether portals to conjure up a fleshy appendage or someone claiming to be the long lost brother of Hildibrand.

It does make them an ass when they hope the server remains locked down so that people can't roll Au Ra, which is the trail of discussion the OP-quote originates from.

(01-27-2015, 10:30 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:27 AM)ReforgedWoodenSword Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:13 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:26 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: As I've said before, they really need to fix this before the expansion, with all the Au Ra alts that people are going to want to make (and the player pickup on an expansion release).

I... hadn't thought of how the Balmung restriction might will still be in effect come Heavensward and severely limit AuRa creation.

Best possibility I've read about AuRa and Heavensward in regard to RP in days, not even being sarcastic, I hope it stays locked.
So...you're hoping new character creation stays locked throughout the release of the expansion...?

Yes, anything to stop people from ruining AuRa the same way they ruined Miqo'te.

I know it's a controversial opinion and perhaps a bit mean-spirited, but after a year and a half of polarizing lore, man-hating futa covens, and Hyur characters wearing cat ears and a tail, I'm done. The fewer AuRa the better.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Cato - 01-28-2015

The frustration is understandable to an extent. I think it's worth seeing it from both sides. I won't lie - as much as the Au Ra initially intrigued me I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth due to some people role-playing them before they've even in the actual game. We don't know much about them yet and despite that people will form 'fanon' lore that they'll likely cling to even when the race itself is fully revealed and more fleshed out.

I don't think it's fair to rail so heavily against the guy for posting something that is quite clearly posted in the heat of the moment.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:33 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Grow up.

It does make them an ass when they hope the server remains locked down so that people can't roll Au Ra, which is the trail of discussion the OP-quote originates from.

(01-27-2015, 10:30 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:27 AM)ReforgedWoodenSword Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:13 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:26 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: As I've said before, they really need to fix this before the expansion, with all the Au Ra alts that people are going to want to make (and the player pickup on an expansion release).

I... hadn't thought of how the Balmung restriction might will still be in effect come Heavensward and severely limit AuRa creation.

Best possibility I've read about AuRa and Heavensward in regard to RP in days, not even being sarcastic, I hope it stays locked.
So...you're hoping new character creation stays locked throughout the release of the expansion...?

Yes, anything to stop people from ruining AuRa the same way they ruined Miqo'te.

I know it's a controversial opinion and perhaps a bit mean-spirited, but after a year and a half of polarizing lore, man-hating futa covens, and Hyur characters wearing cat ears and a tail, I'm done. The fewer AuRa the better.

Yerp, there is nothing constructive about this line of thought, it's just a thread to shame those who don't RP how someone else thinks they should RP.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:34 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: The frustration is understandable to an extent. I think it's worth seeing it from both sides. I won't lie - as much as the Au Ra initially intrigued me I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth due to some people role-playing them before they've even in the actual game. We don't know much about them yet and despite that people will form 'fanon' lore that they'll likely cling to even when the race itself is fully revealed and more fleshed out.

Well, there's also the simple matter of you can choose who you RP with. If you don't like how someone is RPing, don't RP with them. I know it sounds like a flippant answer but... it's a thing you can do.

Find the Au Ra that fit the criteria you're looking for, I'm sure there'll be some out there come the expansion. Or just continue RPing with the folks you're already comfortable RPing with. This is all supposed to be for fun, after all, so there's no need to drive one's self into a tizzy by getting upset about how OTHER people have their fun (unless they're trolls </hypocrite.).

100% trufax, I'm tempted to use an Au Ra as the frame for a FFTA-style Judge character. Mostly because I think their horned heads would look best hidden under a full plate helmet. ... And we don't have any access to the stuff the Garleans are wearing that REALLY looks like Judge gear at times.

But yeah. Totally going to be have a character that might show up at the Grindstone and seek to apply arbitrary rules to the combat.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - FreelanceWizard - 01-28-2015

Hey, so... we're having a relatively nice discussion/debate on racial portrayals, regardless of the original line of posts that got us here.

Please don't spoil it by calling people names and taking shots at others.

#magicAdminHat

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Alothia - 01-28-2015

I think that the best conversation comes from conversing. Not from pointing fingers or saying that someone does something "wrong." 

Instead, let's frame it as "Racial RP: How do YOU do it?"

Instead, we can discuss how we see Eorzea and the races within it. Hey, might get a couple of good ideas from each other that way instead of making people feel like the things that are done are going to be shunned.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:26 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: allgivenover is more just really irritated (to the point of retiring his character) that 9/10 Miqo'te RPers take the non-traditional/city/lore-breaking route when he just wants to play with more RPers that actually RP out the traditional lore as it stands. It's less trying to 'force a certain style of RP for everyone' and more wanting SOMEONE, ANYONE to roleplay with that is outside a very small, close-knit circle.

(I haven't RPed in-game in quite some time, so I don't actually know if this is the case, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.)

When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish. There's obviously interest -- otherwise you wouldn't see so many attempts at starting tribal groups -- the issue for a lot of it is that creating something from scratch is incredibly painfully hard, and getting your core group of people set up can make or break attempts. Not to mention that managing people (sometimes especially rpers) is frustrating enough on its own. You have to work your own ideas without prohibiting people from adding and adapting as the rp moves forward.

So if I was him, I'd dredge through the wiki, I'd send pms to new players who seemed like they might fit, I'd talk to other players I knew who I thought I might convince to make an alt -- even if short term -- to help get things moving.

Rp is as frustrating as it is fun.

But the setting is dumb. It's not set up for rp. It is dumb, and it's silly to be upset that other people are having fun with something you don't have fun with. And I say this as someone who gets frustrated when other people are having fun with something I don't have fun with and I want them to do what I find fun. Hey, I'm human too. All the same, it's important to realize that actively hoping other people aren't able to do those things is getting to the point where you need to take a giant step back and look at how you can accomplish the things you want to do -- without feeling disheartened because your thing isn't the popular thing.

And I know that feeling, because finding the sort of Limsa rp that I wanted to rp was really quite painful at times.

(and yes, at times I would look across to Ul'dah, metaphorical tears in my eyes, and lament the lack of interest in Limsa. But I never hoped they wouldn't be able to continue their rp, you know?)

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:40 PM)Alothia Wrote: Instead, let's frame it as "Racial RP: How do YOU do it?"

I definitely agree. The current thread name puts a bit of a negative spin on it, rather than offer a potential for suggestions on how to spice up your RP with more racial antics.

After the little back and forth with Kage has me tempted to put little ear-twitches into Chachan's emotes when he's curious about something, for example. I think it'd be cute.

"Hey, my Chocobo just had her chicks. Wanna see?"
*ear twitch*

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:40 PM)Alothia Wrote: I think that the best conversation comes from conversing. Not from pointing fingers or saying that someone does something "wrong." 

Instead, let's frame it as "Racial RP: How do YOU do it?"

Instead, we can discuss how we see Eorzea and the races within it. Hey, might get a couple of good ideas from each other that way instead of making people feel like the things that are done are going to be shunned.

...almost.

Sorrynotsorry..

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:40 PM)Alothia Wrote: Instead, let's frame it as "Racial RP: How do YOU do it?"

I definitely agree. The current thread name puts a bit of a negative spin on it, rather than offer a potential for suggestions on how to spice up your RP with more racial antics.

After the little back and forth with Kage has me tempted to put little ear-twitches into Chachan's emotes when he's curious about something, for example. I think it'd be cute.

*ear twitch*

This is a test to see who jumps on to point out that chocobos are all male in Eorzea, right? DID I WIN? AM I A WINNER?

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Blue - 01-28-2015

As a Miqo'te myself I admit I get vaguely irritated when some miqo'te near me RPs their tail/ear movements every other line they type. It gives sort of the effect as though they were shouting "look at me! I'm a kitty person! Tails, ears, look look!"

I do keep my Keepers nocturnals in my RPs, except for Blue, but that's because her traveling companions are forced her to a diurnal lifestyle (it took her a lot). Light still bothers both her and Jet'a though, especially Jet'a, who wears sunglasses almost fulltime because of that. I do RP a certain smelling ability, too, but like with tail and ears movement, I bring it into emotes only when I feel it's absolutely necessary. Which to my standards, doesn't even occur in every RP session I have.

With all that being said, I feel it's kind of unfair to tell others how to RP. I do notice some odd behaviors in a number of roleplayers I come across, some of which defy my comprehension or logic in terms of realisticness too (see my threads where I express my perplexity over some people's obsession with e-dating), but hey... if it doesn't hurt my character (see godmoding, metagaming), they're free to do it as far as I'm concerned. Telling others how to enjoy themselves in RP is generally always the worst approach you can take. If something bothers you in what others are doing with their characters, move along and leave the area. It has been working well for me.

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

*ear twitch*

This is a test to see who jumps on to point out that chocobos are all male in Eorzea, right? DID I WIN? AM I A WINNER?

Wait what, they are?

Even the pinku ones!?!?!

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

*ear twitch*

sometimes you are a great big silly.

RE: Racial RP: I'm watching your subjects like a hawk - Alothia - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:46 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

*ear twitch*

Wait what, they are?

Even the pinku ones!?!?!

ESPECIALLY the pink ones.

#effyourgenderstandards