Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you view your level 1?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How do you view your level 1?! (/showthread.php?tid=10346)

Pages: 1 2

How do you view your level 1?! - Stormsrage00 - 02-26-2015

I'm in the midst of rewriting my character's back-story before formally introducing him to all you wonderful people of the RPC community. While I was doing so I got a little curious about something.

I've seen various ideas on the skill a level 1 character has in their respective class and I'd like to see what you guys have to say on the topic! I'll start by explaining my viewpoint using my favorite class of all time: The Martial Artist/Monk.

Basing my opinions on my D&D days, I usually assume that at level 1, my character is already at the level of a black belt. They've completed their initial training and while they are not by any means a "master" of their respective class, they have the proficiency that elevates them above the standard individual. Essentially, at level 1, if my character was in a fight his trained attacks and defenses would all be muscle memory with little to no hesitation. Naturally that doesn't make him an automatic winner of every single fight. It only means that his movements show the signs of years of dedicated practice.

This gives, what I feel, a more natural feel to the skill progression as my character levels up. It also lends plausibility, in my mind, to why my character can take on career soldiers/brigands or wild animals while still being able to walk away without being mortally wounded or maimed. I believe this also gives my character room to grow as he journeys his way to mastery and perfection of his art.

Well that's about it for me, I'd love to hear how you all handle this. There is no wrong answer and no incorrect opinion! The point is to better understand, out of pure curiosity, how we all enjoy weaving our own stories Smile

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Magellan - 02-26-2015

I don't approach MMO RP the same way I would DnD RP. In fact, I generally try to separate the game mechanics from RP entirely.

Rather than try to fit my character into the structures the game has created, I try to fit the structures of the game into my character. For instance, my character Lyra is a lvl 25 lancer in game. So ICly she should be rising pretty fast right? Really showing progress, starting to reach a deeper and higher level of her craft.

But she isn't. Everything she's learned so far has been self-taught, and shaped by her environment in the wilds. The form of lancing she uses would not be recognizable to the lancer's guild. It's also a very undisciplined form.

In DnD, the game mechanics are tied inherently into the rp experience, and created specifically for RP. That does not hold true with MMO. If I try to play my character firmly within the game mechanics, I end up feeling frustrating by the enormity of restrictions. So... at lvl 1, in an MMO, I tend to base her skills off of what I want them to be at that time in her life, not off of what's actually available to her via the game itself.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Sounsyy - 02-26-2015

I'm one of those who doesn't connect in-game level with in-character skill and don't (personally) believe it should be a factor. I play an experienced veteran soldier who's been using a sword and shield for over 15 years now, but she's only a 25 GLA because I rarely get time to play on Balmung and when I'm on Balmung, I'm doing RP. I've got an i125 WAR/PLD on Hyperion I can always link if someone gives me grief.

But outside of myself, I know a few characters who play errmmm "ditzy" characters? Or characters that aren't particularly skilled. But they're walking around with 50s or 50 everything. So I don't equate them being 50 PLD because they do Coil in their free time to them actually being a "master" or necessarily skillful Gladiator or whatever. I think whatever character they choose to play matters more.

That said, if you want to play as your character becoming more experienced ICly as you level up OOCly, I think that's great, progressive way to advance your character! And makes a lot of sense in a D&D sense of story progression. So go for it if its how you want to portray your character - I just wouldn't want my own character to be looked down on because she's a Lv25 hardly-played OOCly character. ^^

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Tyndles - 02-26-2015

I'm one of the people that generally DOES connect in character level with RP in most games.  Final Fantasy is not one of those games though.

In FFXIV, Everyone can max level in all of the classes, and in an RP sense, it doesn't make sense for one person to be able to master EVERYTHING.  That just wouldn't be any fun.

I could go on to defend why I think level matters in other games, but it wouldn't make any sense here.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Stormsrage00 - 02-26-2015

(02-26-2015, 08:03 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I'm one of those who doesn't connect in-game level with in-character skill and don't (personally) believe it should be a factor. I play an experienced veteran soldier who's been using a sword and shield for over 15 years now, but she's only a 25 GLA because I rarely get time to play on Balmung and when I'm on Balmung, I'm doing RP. I've got an i125 WAR/PLD on Hyperion I can always link if someone gives me grief.

But outside of myself, I know a few characters who play errmmm "ditzy" characters? Or characters that aren't particularly skilled. But they're walking around with 50s or 50 everything. So I don't equate them being 50 PLD because they do Coil in their free time to them actually being a "master" or necessarily skillful Gladiator or whatever. I think whatever character they choose to play matters more.

That said, if you want to play as your character becoming more experienced ICly as you level up OOCly, I think that's great, progressive way to advance your character! And makes a lot of sense in a D&D sense of story progression. So go for it if its how you want to portray your character - I just wouldn't want my own character to be looked down on because she's a Lv25 hardly-played OOCly character. ^^
Oh I hear you Sounsyy! You'll get no downward looks from me! when it comes to straight up RP I try to be flexible and always try to keep in mind that everyone has different styles/preferences.

I'm just the type that works better creatively if I create a structure/outline before I write the story. Using the level up mechanic really helps me in pacing out my RP progression. Otherwise I tend to RP one thing, then forget what had happened and RP something contradictory...and then everyone gets all confused! Dazed

Also, I'd like to apologize if my original post was taken in a negative way. I don't look down on anyone's style of RP! I have a strict live and let live policy. I don't want people telling me to how to tell my stories, so why would I want to go out and tell others how to tell their own?! I find I have more fun if I only concern myself with my own decisions. It lets me more easily ride the waves on the oceans of your adventures Big Grin

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Sounsyy - 02-26-2015

(02-26-2015, 08:24 PM)Stormsrage00 Wrote: Also, I'd like to apologize if my original post was taken in a negative way. I don't look down on anyone's style of RP!

Not at all! ^^ No offense taken! I've not had anyone tell me I'm not "experienced" based on my OOC level (Twelve save them if they ever do) but I've heard horror stories.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Naunet - 02-26-2015

Not only do I not consider level when thinking about my characters, 90% of the time I don't really think about their class either. xD I just kind of pull from themes, lore, flavor, and details to construct a character of my own. Sometimes the class I pick for that character OOCly has some sort of influence, but not always or even often.

For example, Antimony is OOCly a WHM and SCH/SMN, but IC... well, "financial auditor highly skilled in traditional shamanistic medicine involving a mix of alchemy, first aid, and aether manipulation." xD Sure it takes cues from bits of conjury lore and whatnots, but it's definitely not quite so straightforward as, "My character is a conjurer!"

So yeah, that's my take.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Khoure - 02-26-2015

I somewhat connect levels to my IC character, but that's mostly because I'm pretty new to RP and want something as a base to fall back on. The upside is that I can have a pretty good idea of where my character is in their life, and even as I lvl it's easier to think ICly. The downside is that I don't have as much freedom in what my characters do- they basically all have to be newbie adventurers who tend to wander, otherwise why would they be progressing in battle lvl and warping all over the place?

One fun think I have going on is with my duskwight toon Lysiette, she's pretty intelligent and loves learning how to do things which allows her to learn a lot of different things without deteriorating too much in skill. However this also makes her impulsive and irresponsible with her time, deciding to pick up anything and everything interesting to her. To reflect this, I had her join every single class guild, but I don't allow her to get any more than 10 lvls past any other class. This drives the time it takes for me to level her through the roof, and acts as further reinforcement that her intense dabbling makes her mediocre at best in everything (her intelligence is how she's not completely terrible, but it certainly isn't making her shine anywhere)

as for how I consider lvl 1s? I've never played DnD (though I've always wanted to lmao) so I always considered lvl 1 to be "has some decent talent/self taught skill but isn't at all refined".

Of course, that being said, I have my other character Synglona in several guilds I don't IC consider her joined yet because I wanted to reserve them for later when she WOULD join them. I'm going to lvl MRD so I can crossclass overpower because it's very useful in dungeons, but I'm not sure if she would ever join marauders ICly given how much of Limsa's law enforcement is form MRD guild and the fact that a lot of her family is in pirate jail. So I guess I wanted to say that personally, taking lvls into account is helpful for me as a new RPer but only to certain points.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Chris Ganale - 02-26-2015

Yeah.... I have a bounty hunter rocking modified Garlean armor who mains energy guns. His best class? 22 GLD. So I pretty well don't connect levels to character.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Kurt S. - 02-27-2015

I connect the levels of my characters to their IC lives in one way or another. The thing is I only connect those levels if they were classes relevant to the character. 

Kurt for example has some ARC and THM levels but if you notice he's still kinda upset over his less that shitty aether capacity. He still mentions that he can't handle even a basic Ruin spell. But he does acknowledge his level 50ness as a warrior and weaver. Despite having levels in LNC he does not acknowledge that he even has an interest in the lance. 

And just because he's level 50 does not make him a master at the art. He still has his fair share of shortcomings especially on his warrior side seeing as he's not always in control of the inner beast. He maybe talented and capable of most of the feats but that's only half the story. Knowing how to do it is very different from knowing when and where to do it and what to do it on.

I guess that's just me wanting to work in the gameplay aspects into my characters besides using the world around them.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Magellan - 02-27-2015

Oh no I didn't take it negatively, and I hope I didn't come across as disapproving of progressive style rp. I think its great that other people use the leveling system to denote their characters actual growth, it just hasn't worked for me personally with mmos.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Parvacake - 02-27-2015

I do most of it on the fly with only the very loose foundations of a story laid in place.
[Image: flying-bird.gif]

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Gone. - 02-27-2015

Depends on the character. Sometimes drawing inspiration from their actual level for progression is nice, other times it's just not really needed.

About the only real draw for an RP character to reach 50 here is glamours, anyway.

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - FloriaRaine - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:37 AM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: Depends on the character. Sometimes drawing inspiration from their actual level for progression is nice, other times it's just not really needed.

About the only real draw for an RP character to reach 50 here is glamours, anyway.

Glamours and additional dungeon rp!

RE: How do you view your level 1?! - Caspar - 02-27-2015

I used my character's level as a way to reflect her being crippled temporarily for various story reasons, mostly because I wasn't sure if people generally took levels seriously in terms of determining a character's apparent strength for purposes of observation.