Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? (/showthread.php?tid=10526)

Pages: 1 2

The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Heart Quintessence - 03-10-2015

So  as I was working on my ideas for my history and started  realizing, if my character is say 15 or was 15 at the Battle of Cartenau but is not 20 due to the five year timeskip.

Perhaps she's just been traveling? Or are all 'non-legacy  characters' strickly new to Eorzea?

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Chris Ganale - 03-10-2015

I don't play ball with "if you're not legacy you're not from around here". I didn't start playing until last February, but my character Ganale was at Carteneau. R'tahz lived in La Noscea with his tribe still at the time of the Calamity. -Runs down list of other characters- Seno and Yuuna were still in Doma at the time, Chao was still in Garlean service out of Eorzea, Garon didn't participate but he scavenged the field afterwards. Cres probably was nowhere around there, and I haven't even started figuring out Ghost's history yet.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Seriphyn - 03-11-2015

Not everyone was 'timewarped' at the Battle of Cartenau. Only the adventurers stayed behind, or the 'Warriors of Light'. If you watch the 8-min cutscene that plays at the main menu after idling, you'll see the Grand Company soldiers retreating after Bahamut appeared (by the by, this is what my character did as well, so no timeskip for him)

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Warren Castille - 03-11-2015

I was under the impression the Warriors of Light were the only ones to get timeskipped. Loiusoix does it to protect you, and the rank-and-file basically got left to get Gigaflared.

15 seems a bit... green... to have been present in the combat itself, though. /peanutgallery

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Alothia - 03-11-2015

Alothia was time skipped forward, but most of her friends weren't. It was a really fun thing to RP out, having people not remember/recognize her at first. It took quite a bit for her to get back into the swing of her life, and eventually their memories returned, slowly but surely.

But yeah, you don't have to be one of the people who was time skipped. A lot of people chose not to do that, and that is perfectly okay.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - BlackmoreKnight - 03-11-2015

Convention generally is that you don't need to play your 2.0 character as a 'stranger' to Eorzea. You could have been a GC soldier at the time if you're not playing a warrior of light (And there are other threads throughout the forums that speak to WoLs and their role in things/RP). You'd just have retreated after the order was given by the city-state leaders when everything was going to hell. 

Fifteen is a 'bit' young to be a professional soldier, though. I assume Eorzea has standard ages of majority. That said, not like there are medieval birth certificates or something. It could be an interesting story beat. Your character wanting to fight the Garleans bad enough to lie about her age, and the GC being too hard-pressed for bodies to look too deep into it.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - SessionZero - 03-11-2015

I also don't buy into the whole "you're not from around here if you're not legacy" thing. All of my characters are native Eorzeans, and one was at Carteneau, but did not get time-skipped because he retreated with the Grand Companies.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Aya - 03-11-2015

Was chillin' in Ishgard, with no clue what was about to hit her.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Cato - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 01:33 PM)BlackmoreKnight Wrote: Convention generally is that you don't need to play your 2.0 character as a 'stranger' to Eorzea. You could have been a GC soldier at the time if you're not playing a warrior of light (And there are other threads throughout the forums that speak to WoLs and their role in things/RP). You'd just have retreated after the order was given by the city-state leaders when everything was going to hell. 

Fifteen is a 'bit' young to be a professional soldier, though. I assume Eorzea has standard ages of majority. That said, not like there are medieval birth certificates or something. It could be an interesting story beat. Your character wanting to fight the Garleans bad enough to lie about her age, and the GC being too hard-pressed for bodies to look too deep into it.

A lot of people lied about their age to go and fight in WW1 and WW2. In many ways that's part of what made the entire thing so horrific - many young men were running off to get killed and some of them were generally just kids.

It wouldn't surprise me if that sort of thing happened at Carteneu. The chances of a young character surviving would be pretty slim though and it'd likely leave them with a pretty major case of PTSD.

War isn't pretty. Hollywood makes it seem really heroic and great but even when doing against a hated enemy it isn't something to aspire to. Every moment taxes one's sanity and ability to fit back into civilian life. It's something that sticks with you for the rest of your life - the memories very rarely go away.

It'd be pretty interesting to see someone bold enough to go down that route and play a young character who, thinking they'd come back as a hero, signs up to fight against the enemy only to be left a husk of their former self after barely surviving.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Chris Ganale - 03-11-2015

Not even necessarily have to be a kid to get messed up in the head by surviving Carteneau. Ganale was 23-ish at the time and not only received crippling injuries to his arm, but was so mentally scarred that he went back to Ul'dah and lived in the streets for 3 or so years. And still has nightmares and moments where he's just not there.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Aya - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 01:45 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: It'd be pretty interesting to see someone bold enough to go down that route and play a young character who, thinking they'd come back as a hero, signs up to fight against the enemy only to be left a husk of their former self after barely surviving.
Missing a leg, hobbling on a crutch, having had to crawl back home and become a burden to his family after the battle.  Unable to provide, and battling the complete lost of hope.  Until... something inspires him either for good or ill.  He sounds like a terrific villain or unlikely anti-hero Smile

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Warren Castille - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 02:07 PM)Aya Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 01:45 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: It'd be pretty interesting to see someone bold enough to go down that route and play a young character who, thinking they'd come back as a hero, signs up to fight against the enemy only to be left a husk of their former self after barely surviving.
Missing a leg, hobbling on a crutch, having had to crawl back home and become a burden to his family after the battle.  Unable to provide, and battling the complete lost of hope.  Until... something inspires him either for good or ill.  He sounds like a terrific villain or unlikely anti-hero Smile

I'll one-up you and say that he gets transported with the rest of the Warriors of Light. A child in a world that's seen dramatic change, and nobody remembers you.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Erik Mynhier - 03-11-2015

Erik was sent to the battle as part of the Flames, but he and his unit were ambushed on one of the plateaus above the battle. He survived the ambush but never made it to the battle, watching from the plateaus as the dragon and hell itself broke free. The shockwave of Bahamut's gigaflare, despite being far out of range, nearly killed him. He woke up in a makeshift Immortal Flames medical tent. The timewarp thing seems a little much for me. If you wanna play it that way its cool, but Erik's not so special as to rank a temporal ride with the WoL. Little bit of a special snowflake thing for me.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Val - 03-11-2015

I imagine Val knew about the battle and said, "Nah. If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna do it wasted with a beautiful woman in my arms."

So he wasn't there, but I took it into account with his age/history.

RE: The Battle of Carteneu & You(Non-Legacy Adventurers)? - Sounsyy - 03-11-2015

Basically, there was a contingent of Adventurers who stayed behind to protect Louisoux as he attempted to summon the power of the Twelve. This was something that, during the very last quest of 1.0 "Living on a Prayer," these select Adventurers agreed to do when the time came. It was these, and only these, Adventurers who were time skipped after Louisoux's spell failed and Tupismati was shattered. So unless you were in the domed off area that appears in the cutscene, it's highly unlikely that you were also time-skipped.

If you wanted your character to be time skipped, that's fine too and I don't think too many people would be upset by it. But those were the general conditions of being time skipped and becoming a "Warrior of Light" (note: Warrior of Light as in Adventurer who stayed behind with Louisoux. Not Warrior of Light as in Hydaelyn's Chosen. There is a difference.) Just that not everyone who was at Carteneau got time skipped. The Eorzean Alliance called a full retreat after Dalamud shattered, so most fled the battle. Those who were left behind likely perished in the fire if they weren't time skipped.

You'll have to meet Sounsyy sometime. Cuz... this is pretty much Sounsyy's life for the last 15 years.