Hydaelyn Role-Players
Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? (/showthread.php?tid=10564)

Pages: 1 2

Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Sparrah - 03-13-2015

So, for a while now, I've been thinking on the possibility of having my character lose an arm (or part of it) during 3.0's war. My character  has been through a few games, and in most of the incarnations, they've developed a mechanical arm.

So my question is, is it plausible for someone to have a magitek prosthetic arm? We've got the magitek armors and vanguards that are far more advanced than our real tech, and in reality we're getting pretty close to prosthetics that can connect to our nerves.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Aya - 03-13-2015

Dogberry has magitek prosthetic legs.  I'd give some thought as to where it was acquired, and at what cost.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Ruran - 03-13-2015

A simple prosthetic arm has been around for centuries. With magitek technology, I imagine it would be entirely possible for it to advance in that direction.

It's actually something that my character has been starting to look into. As Aya said, it would likely be expensive. And the more complex and advanced it is, the more rare it would be.

But yeah, I say go for it, if you've got a story that fits.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Aduu Avagnar - 03-13-2015

I point you in the direction of Merri.... XD

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Aaron - 03-13-2015

[youtube]HoLs0V8T5AA[/youtube]

Sorry. always wanted to use this

In all seriousness go for it. I see nothing wrong with it.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Flashhelix - 03-13-2015

I think it's perfectly reasonable as long as you don't just use them for some edgy reason like to say "oh man my cool robot arms have super strength/a build-in-gun/sword-arms/whatever"

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Erik Mynhier - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 12:52 AM)Sparrah Wrote: So, for a while now, I've been thinking on the possibility of having my character lose an arm (or part of it) during 3.0's war. My character  has been through a few games, and in most of the incarnations, they've developed a mechanical arm.

So my question is, is it plausible for someone to have a magitek prosthetic arm? We've got the magitek armors and vanguards that are far more advanced than our real tech, and in reality we're getting pretty close to prosthetics that can connect to our nerves.

There is a gentleman on this forum by the name of Askier. For a time he played a sort of "magitech bionic man" and did it well. He could help I bet.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Edvyn - 03-13-2015

i never asked for this

/rimshot
/applause

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Soalean Monterey - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 02:13 AM)Flashhelix Wrote: I think it's perfectly reasonable as long as you don't just use them for some edgy reason like to say "oh man my cool robot arms have super strength/a build-in-gun/sword-arms/whatever"
Since everyone seems approving, I suppose I'll reveal myself.

It'd be just as strong as a regular arm, just maybe somewhat sturdier. It's also not gonna be flawless. It's going to suffer from phantom pains, sometimes at the worst possible moments.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Mikh'a - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 01:31 AM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: I point you in the direction of Merri.... XD

This. Pretty sure Merri said his character has had his Magitek prosthetic since he was 11? He'd be a good place to go.

(03-13-2015, 02:19 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: There is a gentleman on this forum by the name of Askier. For a time he played a sort of "magitech bionic man" and did it well. He could help I bet.

Also this! And check out Ragnar too, his character helped with the maintenance on Askier's arm and I thought he said there were spares laying around if you ever need one/want to look at one ICly.

But yeah like they said, it's been around for quite a while. I know there was also a bard that had a Magitek leg because a Roe tried to eat him. >_>

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Nebbs - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 01:19 AM)Aya Wrote: Dogberry has magitek prosthetic legs.  I'd give some thought as to where it was acquired, and at what cost.

It's not Nebula's fault! Honest! She warned him, but he went anyway!

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Qhora Bajihri - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 02:23 AM)Edvyn Wrote: i never asked for this

/rimshot
/applause

[Image: I2QVaTq.gif]

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Ashren Dotharl - 03-13-2015

The only thing I want to point out as someone who plays a Magitek Engineer and has done a lot of research into the lore behind it in FFXIV and other games (for inspiration) is that outside of the Garlond Ironworks no one canonically makes Magitek in Eorzea, everything is either pilfered Garlean tech or stuff made by Cid for a specific purpose and person. With that in mind you'd definitely need a good explanation and backstory for how he managed to come into possession of something like a fully functional Magitek limb, obviously it's not something you could just find lying around since it would have to be modeled after your own arm as far as measurements go. The other thing to consider is that all Magitek runs on Ceruleum, which is a fairly expensive fuel source to come by (being that it is refined crystals), so you'll have to struggle with your arm always needing a power source that can and should deplete at times. This can be troublesome, but also opens up the door for some interesting RP as well. I guess the biggest point I want to get across is that it's possible, but it'd still be a rather large undertaking to have done and should involve significant story explaining how you got it.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Askier - 03-13-2015

Well saw the title and then that I was mentioned so now I have to reply. Lol.

Askier has, had, a magitek arm after his left one was blown off by a explosive saving Roen's life. The process of getting the new arm was a lengthy one involving rping stealing some from a castrum, learning with Alexei how install one in character, and then having Alexei perform the surgery to install the mounts and wiring needed to use the arm but it ended up working wonderfully. Let me toss a few things out.

One, due to the increased weight and fact that Askier can't feel the limb at all, it greatly impeded his ability to fight so basically he's not any good up close anymore. One thing worth thinking would be having your character train with it.  I had a lot of fun rp sessions with Alexei about maitainence and training.

Note, it takes years for the limb to become truly synced to the body so you'll have keep that in mind. Askier was afraid to grab stuff for awhile cause he had trouble opening the hand and he still has to visually look at the arm to move it.

Also, consider how disguised you want the arm. I never had Askier disguise the magitek limb other than a long sleeve and a glove but I believe Merri  has a fake set of skin on his. I've had a few rp sessions where the magitek limb made him untrusted  IC.

And, since it was mentioned, I -did- have Askier install a six round cylinder, barrel, and firing pin into the arm once he had it attached for awhile. Askier likes explosions and him not putting in basicall gun blade parts seemed out of character. Lol. If you've met Askier you know what I mean.  I know a fellow poster said it could be overkill but if you balance it correctly and rp and don't use it every moment, its can work.out well. Its the only way Askier could easily defend himself anymore and since he was violently tortured once, he never wanted to be unarmed again. Personally I don't think a hidden blade or gun is that op considering you could have a hidden gun blade or knife on your character normally. (See Assassin's Creed games)

Hope that helps at all and if you have any more questions feel free to ask me.  I also know Merri is -the- engerneiring guy so you should definatly ask him too,  I just make stuff go boom IC really. Also Alexie does have extra limbs he and I stole IC if you need one and he can do the surgery if you need someone to help install it IC.

RE: Magitek Prosthetic Arms? - Cato - 03-13-2015

My biggest concern with such things is that they're meant to be fairly rare and that there's an awful lot of people role-playing their character with a disability only for the disability to be completely meaningless as a result.

I've seen multiple blind characters who just happen to be able to see via magitek or characters who just happen to have a super strong replacement limb. I must admit that it rubs me the wrong way as I firmly believe that such themes should be explored tastefully and not just embraced so that someone can pass off their character as being 'cooler' through very cheap means.

So with that in mind? I'd strongly suggest remembering that they're drawbacks rather than perks. I have a lot of respect for those role-players out there who keep that in mind.