Hydaelyn Role-Players
False Black Mage? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: False Black Mage? (/showthread.php?tid=10643)

False Black Mage? - Aaron - 03-18-2015

Ok, so for the first time in what, 6-7 months? I decided to create an alt aka Aaron's untold sister (twice the emo *monotone hooray!* lol) and here's a synopsis of her story.

She unlike Aaron is very magically adept and talented, she always went above and beyond with her skills (prodigy) while Aaron was an scared weak little underdog (he had to work hard to gain the skills with a blade everyone who knows him IC knows he posses, he didn't have talent). So by default, Aleria is more happy and such than the reserved, indifferent and moody Aaron. She comes to Ul'Dah telling Aaron she wanted to be a Paladin (was actually looking forward to her at one point having a PLD she grew respectful of tell her she's getting into dark magic and that's bad) but in reality, she wants to become a powerful black mage using her natural ice affinity to really make large ice sculpture and such at first. . . But eventually goes down a more dark path. She's not going to be as bloody or reserved as Aaron but she's gonna no longer be all cheery and more cold stare serious and start mocking people weaker than her in public (not for no reason of course. It'd be more a general "weak die strong survive just like me and my brother).

So questions,

- What exactly separates the capability of a black mage from a THM? IC im thinking of Aleria being a "false black mage" because she's gonna get stronger but she won't actually be as strong as a legit blm. No black holes or anything lol just ice.

- What type of type do you think this is? Neutral? Chaotic good? Etc.

- any lore on using a stardust rod IC  or the BLM ILVL 90 GEAR?

thanks!

RE: False Black Mage? - Warren Castille - 03-18-2015

Just dumping a Sounsy post that I have butchered.

(01-01-2015, 02:09 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Part 1:

Thaumaturgy is believed to be the original form of magic of the 5th Astral Era, close to 3000 years ago. Thaumaturgy draws from the caster's own aether and focuses the spell through a gemstone medium to cast. Over the centuries, Thaumaturgy took a dark turn and became a magic focused upon death. Skilled wielders of the magic were able to do incredible things, such as return people from Thal's realm. When Ul'dah and Sil'dih rose from the ashes of Belah'dia, Thaumaturgy took on the duality of the Traders, Nald'thal, and became the study of life and death. The religious Order of Nald'thal was formed with the belief that by using Thaumaturgy to more deeply understand Death, they might better be able to understand and appreciate Life.

Black Magic, by contrast, is actually a technique, not a true form of Magic. In the early years of the 5th Astral Era, a young Magi named Shatotto wished to further the limitations of Thaumaturgy, but was ultimately unable to perform the magicks she wished to due to her own limited aether supply. So she devised a method to curb the Lifestream and draw upon the aether of the planet instead of her own. This technique was coined "Black Magic" as it killed the land around the caster, but it afforded Shatotto unlimited power and paved the way for the War of the Magi centuries later. By the time the War of the Magi broke out at the end of the 5th Astral Era, Black Magic was capable of many incredible feats - bringing down stars, animating inanimate objects, and tearing holes in our Physical Plane, opening a portal to the Void and drawing forth unimaginable demons upon the world. However, by the end of the War, Black Mages had drained the world entirely of its aether and had nearly killed the planet. Because of this unlimited destructive force, Black Magic was forbidden and strictly outlawed.

So, taking all that, could one person learn to master multiple forms of magic, perhaps yes? But it'd be extremely difficult as each branch of magic is unique in its own way and in the case of some, diametrically opposed to another. In the case of Black Magic and White Magic, they are both forbidden and forgotten magicks that were created in opposition of one another.

As far as any of the ancient magicks go, they are all but lost to the world for many centuries. Learning one is probably fine, but learning multiple relies on the absolute crazy happenstance of finding out about the magic in the first place and finding someone to teach it.

If you want to do that, I tried to break down who would feasibly know about each of the ancient magicks:

Black Magic: Prelates and High Priests in the Order of Nald'thal would know about Black Magic but most would not be able to teach it. There are also some Beast Tribes which still practice Black Magic to some extent. If your character is friendly with beastmen, perhaps that could be used as an in for Black Magic.

RE: False Black Mage? - Kurt S. - 03-18-2015

Now I'm no lore buff but I know THE Stardust rod is like the delicious limited edition BLM weapon that's so very rare and powerful only a few of em exist at all, the original ones made by Shattoto or was it Shanttoto. I think what Gerolt makes for you is simply a replica at best. Then Jalzhar helps you turn that replica into something else that's probably better than the original thing by killing you slowly with Zodiac.

I'm not sure about the i90 gear  neither seeing as I've ever resorted to the Cashmere/Saurian combo. Pretty sure those are the ala 'Audi' of robes. Meanwhile stuff like Kirimu/Arachne are the 'Lamborghini' of clothes.

Any answers in this thread might actually help me. Since ICly Ramona is rocking a Stardust replica and Cashmere/Saurian gear.

RE: False Black Mage? - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 06:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: Ok, so for the first time in what, 6-7 months? I decided to create an alt aka Aaron's untold 

So questions,

1 What exactly separates the capability of a black mage from a THM? IC im thinking of Aleria being a "false black mage" because she's gonna get stronger but she won't actually be as strong as a legit blm. No black holes or anything lol just ice.

2 What type of type do you think this is? Neutral? Chaotic good? Etc.

3 any lore on using a stardust rod IC  or the BLM ILVL 90 GEAR?

thanks!

I've put number on to make things a little easier to answer.

1) Quite a bit, even if they use similar spells. I will source a Sounsyy write up in a moment. edit: Warren linked it. Now I don't have to!

2) Alignment? Whatever you want her to be. I personally don't like constraining my characters to any partcular alignment.

3) Stardust Rod is a "relic" but the lore states it's a replica. People could make unfinished ones left and right. Killing primals might be a bit more difficult... As for the i90 gear, we know these are replicas (I think?) from Rowena, closely based on the originals. I think it's safe to say that if she had the means of getting a relic weapon, she probably has the money/resources to pay Rowena.

RE: False Black Mage? - Sounsyy - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 06:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: - What exactly separates the capability of a black mage from a THM? IC im thinking of Aleria being a "false black mage" because she's gonna get stronger but she won't actually be as strong as a legit blm. No black holes or anything lol just ice.

I'll quote myself from another thread. ^^

(01-01-2015, 02:09 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Thaumaturgy is believed to be the original form of magic of the 5th Astral Era, close to 3000 years ago. Thaumaturgy draws from the caster's own aether and focuses the spell through a gemstone medium to cast. Over the centuries, Thaumaturgy took a dark turn and became a magic focused upon death. Skilled wielders of the magic were able to do incredible things, such as return people from Thal's realm. When Ul'dah and Sil'dih rose from the ashes of Belah'dia, Thaumaturgy took on the duality of the Traders, Nald'thal, and became the study of life and death. The religious Order of Nald'thal was formed with the belief that by using Thaumaturgy to more deeply understand Death, they might better be able to understand and appreciate Life.

Black Magic, by contrast, is actually a technique, not a true form of Magic. In the early years of the 5th Astral Era, a young Magi named Shatotto wished to further the limitations of Thaumaturgy, but was ultimately unable to perform the magicks she wished to due to her own limited aether supply. So she devised a method to curb the Lifestream and draw upon the aether of the planet instead of her own. This technique was coined "Black Magic" as it killed the land around the caster, but it afforded Shatotto unlimited power and paved the way for the War of the Magi centuries later. By the time the War of the Magi broke out at the end of the 5th Astral Era, Black Magic was capable of many incredible feats - bringing down stars, animating inanimate objects, and tearing holes in our Physical Plane, opening a portal to the Void and drawing forth unimaginable demons upon the world. However, by the end of the War, Black Mages had drained the world entirely of its aether and had nearly killed the planet. Because of this unlimited destructive force, Black Magic was forbidden and strictly outlawed.

(03-18-2015, 06:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: - What type of type do you think this is? Neutral? Chaotic good? Etc.

I can't really speak to character types or how you should RP your character, but Black Magic is a skill that takes years to learn, decades to master, and the only true point of the magic is to have unlimited power source for your spells. And many of Black Mages past have fallen into the trap of the Void seeking even greater, otherworldly powers. Usually ending in their demise. Essentially it is an incredibly long and arduous road to achieving unlimited and forbidden magic - at great personal cost. So usually it's a very megalomaniac type character that would be attracted to the role. If your character isn't seeking unlimited cosmic powers of the universe to reshape the face of entire mountains with a single spell... black magic probably isn't for them. Thaumaturgy is incredibly powerful on its own... it's just using those higher tier spells as a Thaumaturge will takes its toll on your body, while it won't for a black mage.

(03-18-2015, 06:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: - any lore on using a stardust rod IC  or the BLM ILVL 90 GEAR?

I'm assuming you're referring to the AF1.5 or blue AF robes? Those are imitation artifacts and replicas of the original robes sold by Rowena's crafters and as such should be quite accessible ICly. The same can be said of the Stardust Rods, as it is not one rod but a whole set of "Stardust Rods."

According to lore, one of Shatotto's greatest magical achievement was bringing down a star and using its fragments to create a series of magical staves called the Stardust Rods. Now, collectors have sought after these pieces for hundreds of years and it makes it quite ICly possible to actually own one of these rods as it's never stated exactly how many were created.

Hope this helps! ^^

EDIT: DAMNIT WARREN! LOL

RE: False Black Mage? - Aaron - 03-18-2015

Thanks for the replies!

Not gonna lie but I also made this thread so people would know when Aleria calls herself a Black Mage, that she knows she's telling a lie but she can at least seem to be one with the right take.

Also no not the ilvl 90 robes I mean the purple ones with the insanely high collar lol

(03-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Aaron Wrote: Also no not the ilvl 90 robes I mean the purple ones with the insanely high collar lol

The Artifact Gear gear?

(03-18-2015, 07:14 PM)Pan Seared Rib-eye Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Aaron Wrote: Also no not the ilvl 90 robes I mean the purple ones with the insanely high collar lol

The Artifact Gear gear?
Thought those were something else? 

Welp. Im stupid. Lol

(03-18-2015, 07:18 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 07:14 PM)Pan Seared Rib-eye Wrote:

The Artifact Gear gear?
Thought those were something else? 

Welp. Im stupid. Lol

I dunno I only one thing with a high collar (the douchecollar)

[Image: Elezen_Black_Mage_XIV.png]

(03-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Aaron Wrote: Not gonna lie but I also made this thread so people would know when Aleria calls herself a Black Mage, that she knows she's telling a lie but she can at least seem to be one with the right take.

Just be advised that BLM is illegal and not just considered dangerous. A lazy approximation would be like telling folks that you're a part of a terrorist cell. If you wanted a similar hook about lying about her power or origins, it would be just as easy to say she trained with a tribe of Amal'jaa in the Sagoli.

...that'll still get her arrested if the right people hear it, but it's less blatant than going "Yo, Al-Qaeda in the houuuuuse!"

(03-18-2015, 07:22 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Aaron Wrote: Not gonna lie but I also made this thread so people would know when Aleria calls herself a Black Mage, that she knows she's telling a lie but she can at least seem to be one with the right take.

Just be advised that BLM is illegal and not just considered dangerous. A lazy approximation would be like telling folks that you're a part of a terrorist cell. If you wanted a similar hook about lying about her power or origins, it would be just as easy to say she trained with a tribe of Amal'jaa in the Sagoli.

...that'll still get her arrested if the right people hear it, but it's less blatant than going "Yo, Al-Qaeda in the houuuuuse!"
Wow that woulda been ugly lol.

Noted. Thanks for the heads up. Saved me a lotta drama.

(03-18-2015, 07:23 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 07:22 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Wow that woulda been ugly lol.

Noted. Thanks for the heads up. Saved me a lotta drama.

Yeah, black magic literally almost killed the planet and is partially responsible for the elementals flooding the Shroud and ending an entire Era. It's not exactly well regarded.