Hydaelyn Role-Players
Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! (/showthread.php?tid=10997)

Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - Seriphyn - 04-07-2015

So I have found places, but do not know where they go, or what they are...firstly, there is this castrum in Coerthas near Monument Tower...then this gate between Sagolii Gate and Gate of Thal...and then this closed gate south of Hawthorne Hut. Sorry for nighttime pictures; for the latter, all that is mostly visible is a mountain in the distance and an Adders watchtower.

What are they? Did 1.0 tell us what they are?

RE: Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - mongi291 - 04-07-2015

I'm sure that the Castrum in Coerthas will be accessible in Heavensward. They can't just tell us Garlemald is up to something and then ignore it. As for the other two, I have no idea.

RE: Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - Sounsyy - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 04:02 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: What are they? Did 1.0 tell us what they are?

Sadly, the 1.0 maps are not much help due to the vast differences made between the city-state's maps. (Not so much Coerthas, that map is actually almost identical.)

[Image: WNqoIt2.jpg]
As you can see Coerthas 2.0 map fits very nicely ontop of the 1.0 map. Anyways, as for the Castrum, not sure. I'd have to rewatch Alphinaud's Operation Archon explanation of the castrum assault, maybe it's mentioned there? Otherwise, not sure. In 1.0, Coerthas's primary Garlean stronghold was actually Dzemael Darkhold. The Garleans infiltrated and took over the fort as their own. The 1.0 8-man version of the dungeon was to go in and eliminate the Garlean presence there.

[Image: ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg]
The East Shroud in 1.0, or "East End" did not connect so directly to Central Shroud like it does now. So I haven't the faintest clue what lies south of those gates.

[Image: ffxiv-maps-thanalan.jpg]
The gate in question leads to a small ledge that used to be around the backside of Ul'dah in 1.0, but this ledge merely looked out over the northern edge of the Sagolii Desert. Nothing special there. I'm not sure why there's a gate around it now, unless it leads directly into the Sagolii, bypassing the Amalj'aa controlled Southern Thanalan region? Again, not sure.

Here's a screenshot of the bit in question tho:
[Image: DHjuoXS.jpg]

RE: Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - V'aleera - 04-07-2015

Another weird non-entrance are the doors in North Shroud, near where all the dullahans are.

RE: Mysterious places in Eorzea - What are they and where do they go?! - Ethys - 04-19-2015

(04-07-2015, 07:21 PM)Intaki Wrote: Another weird non-entrance are the doors in North Shroud, near where all the dullahans are.

This is probably a placeholder entrance to give the devs an option for a future Gelmorran dungeon, maybe even with surviving Duskwight occupants (let me dream).