Hydaelyn Role-Players
Wiki : A tip! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Wiki : A tip! (/showthread.php?tid=11008)

Wiki : A tip! - Bryn - 04-08-2015

Hi all,

If you're anything like me, you love the Wiki, and use it obsessively.

As such, I wanted to share a little tip I happened upon recently while exploring the preferences tab on the wiki top menu.

I love checking the recent changes log so I can keep up with the happenings of my favourite PCs. However, a lot of us get rather edit-happy when tinkering with our wikis, and we end up flooding the log with our page edits.

I don't know if this came with the update to the newer wiki or if it was always there and I'm just a derp who didn't notice it, but I found this nifty solution for us recent changes stalkers.

1. Head to the preferences tab up where you log in to the wiki.

[Image: WikiTip1.jpg]

2. Goto the 'recent changes' tab and check the 'Group changes by page in recent changes and watchlist' box.

[Image: WikiTip2.jpg]

... And boom! That changes this:

[Image: WikiTip3.jpg]

To this:

[Image: WikiTip4.jpg]

Complete with handy drop-down menu showing all the recent changes to that character's page.

[Image: WikiTip5.jpg]

I hope this was useful. Enjoy!

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-08-2015

This is amazing.

I know I was doing some wiki-poking of my own. (Thought I'd at least make it as minor changes so it could be hidden away)

RE: Wiki : A tip! - g0ne - 04-08-2015

As of now, Bryn senpai is my wiki senpai! 

Best wiki senpai ever! :3

Your lessons on the wiki are always awe inducing for little idiots like myself. x3

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Steel Wolf - 04-08-2015

Wiki-senpai is loveliest senpai....because her wiki is so pretty.

I need to learn how to style my wiki as well....then senpai will notice me.

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Ilwe'ran - 04-08-2015

Thank you for that Bryn ♥

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Aya - 04-08-2015

Teach me to wiki-wiki!

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Chris Ganale - 04-08-2015

-Goes to fix some settings, no longer will feel self-conscious about uploading more than two images at once-

RE: Wiki : A tip! - FreelanceWizard - 04-08-2015

Yeah, that's a feature in the newer version of MediaWiki that we're running. It's a great tip! Smile

RE: Wiki : A tip! - C'kayah Polaali - 04-08-2015

Bryn, you are my hero!

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Erik Mynhier - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 03:54 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Yeah, that's a feature in the newer version of MediaWiki that we're running. It's a great tip! Smile

Hey FLW, I have seen a tab on the left for awhile marked "Free Companies" but clicking it takes you to an empty page. Are we in the future going to start making profiles for our fcs as we do our characters? I ask only because I am slow at noticing things like that sometimes and honestly just noticed it. So I am unsure if its old or new.

Edit: By seen it for awhile I mean I noticed last week.

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Rosamund - 04-08-2015

Very helpful, thank you!

RE: Wiki : A tip! - FreelanceWizard - 04-09-2015

(04-08-2015, 06:09 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: Hey FLW, I have seen a tab on the left for awhile marked "Free Companies" but clicking it takes you to an empty page. Are we in the future going to start making profiles for our fcs as we do our characters? I ask only because I am slow at noticing things like that sometimes and honestly just noticed it. So I am unsure if its old or new.

It's been there for a bit, actually (back when I created the Stagecraft categories). I had an FC leader ask me if they could put up a page as a profile for their FC, as it'd let them link wiki profiles for their members and do more layout than the LS Hall lets you do, so I said, "Sure! I'll add it!" The page never materialized, alas, but yes, if an FC wants to make a wiki page for themselves and put in "Category:Free Company", that's totally okay.

RE: Wiki : A tip! - Marisa - 04-09-2015

Huh. I didn't even know I was spamming something that people used, so I've just been haphazardly making changes and saving them without restraint...