Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: (/showthread.php?tid=11056)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Zelmanov - 04-11-2015

SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFm47E-hL2g: for reference

I've watched these forums and remember a while back there were several topics concerning the Dragoon Job and the capabilities they have. With the trailer not only do we have proof of capabilities, but possibly the mechanics.

- some argued its just a title and only the Azure Dragoon is the crazy one that can jump all over the place. 

This is now false because we see multiple dragoons jump and come down upon dragons in the trailer

- some argued jump may be an impractical means of combat against a nimble, ground opponent.

This I agreed with until the trailer because it shows that jumps are 

a) almost literally lightning fast

b) Are Aether assisted as shown by the first scene and the final battle scene. They don't just leap up and come down, they ROCKET down.  This is one of the few times where a job ability is damn close to the cinematic equivalent. 

(also note one poor dragoon gets nommed after landing a jump on the big bad dragon. which is hilarious).

- Lore behind the new AF armor possibly hinted at (pure speculation)

perhaps Ishgard undergoes an Ul'dahn equivalent of free paladins and so the armor Derplander has is the Volunteer Dragoon armor. Either that or its was just that way to keep him unique among all the other faceless Dragoons.

This just showed up in Reddit. So yeah.

Yoshida wanted the Warrior of Light to wear the 2.0 Dragoon AF armor, but Ikumori insisted that they used the new weapon since they were going through the trouble of animating it anyway.

so thoughts? opinions? Aside from OMG SO COOL (which is what I am shouting every 30 seconds)

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Wymsical - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 12:41 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: (also note one poor dragoon gets nommed after landing a jump on the big bad dragon. which is hilarious).

This is actually why their armor is so spiky. Harder to eat! Who knows, maybe that dragoon managed to get some stabs in while the dragon was trying to swallow.

I especially like the mental images of Ishgard battles being 90% dragoons bouncing through the air like spine-covered pinballs.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Harmonixer - 04-11-2015

I do somewhat agree that PC's that aren't the WoL are capable of -some- of these feats. I also however don't think that everyone is capable of doing it, because they certainly would be if that was the case. You wouldn't be fighting a war like that and just suddenly go 'nah, I'll stay down here and take these to the face'.

Seeing one of the DRGs fail too seemed really important to me. I personally am going to take this as 'there clearly isn't only one way to skin a dragon'. Obviously aether boosted armors, Soul Crystals, weapons, everything needs to be in place. But to outright deny people this just closes doors. I think it's poor showing to deny it. To both ends!

Repeating myself, but presentation is everything.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - ChewableMorphine - 04-11-2015

Do what you must Squeenix, but salvaging the DRG from shit-tier is a feat and a half.

At least it's past SMN, and probably will actually be the most hype 60 upgrade, along with WAR, which in my opinion has the best 60 AF armor. I can bet that the new skills that will come with the 60 upgrade will probably be those multi-jumps aether explosions of maximum hype kamikaze nosedives for DRG. Just in time for whatever dragon problem Ishgard will face next, Bismarck maybe? Perhaps even Ravana? I'unnoooooo

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Flashhelix - 04-13-2015

(04-11-2015, 03:10 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Do what you must Squeenix, but salvaging the DRG from shit-tier is a feat and a half.

yeah, if only they could do the same for NIN

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Zac Evans - 04-13-2015

Look, Dragoons have always been a kind of 'aerial' based DPS class. Kain Highwind said it the best. 'You're not the only one who can ride the wind!'

In that sense 'Jumps' are perfectly fine. Maybe two or three rapid fire jumps are plausible, but no pulling a Hack-qua, please XD

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Meena - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 01:16 AM)Flashhelix Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 03:10 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Do what you must Squeenix, but salvaging the DRG from shit-tier is a feat and a half.

o.O Nin? Shit tier? What?

I pull 500+ DPS as a Ninja. They're the best burst melee dps in the game at the moment and give amazing group support.

Vulnerability? Yes please.
Bonus slashing damage? yes please.

sure they're no Monk with dragon kick - but geeze, a monk in similar gear will only ever pull 20-40 dps more than me.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Steel Wolf - 04-13-2015

Seeing Dragoons look absolutely badass was a thrill, and I'm not terribly invested in mine emotionally (just leveled up the class because I wanted a DPS'er...and something to do before Heavensward drops).

I never actually considered that the spikiness of the armor was a deterrent against dragon noms. I just figured it was for aesthetic value, but being hard to eat makes incredible sense.

So, yes, it's incredibly validating that people who are trained in their specific jobs have aetheric powers that are not specific only to the Azure Dragoon. This really does help validate a LOT of RP'ers who display their combat as being superpowered in some manner.

Personally, I'm relieved, because becoming aether-powered is literally the crutch of Steel's personal story progression.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Kellach Woods - 04-13-2015

DRG isn't shit anymore.

and in fact if more of them elusive jump'd they would stop being shit.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Yangh - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 01:24 AM)Meena Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 01:16 AM)Flashhelix Wrote:

o.O Nin? Shit tier? What?

I pull 500+ DPS as a Ninja. They're the best burst melee dps in the game at the moment and give amazing group support.

Vulnerability? Yes please.
Bonus slashing damage? yes please.

sure they're no Monk with dragon kick - but geeze, a monk in similar gear will only ever pull 20-40 dps more than me.

Okay i'll bite on this one...

DRG is the best burst melee in the game. Its kind of what they do. For about 25 secs they wreck so much face its crazy. If the Monk's you're seeing are only pulling slightly more DPS than you with equivalent gear then I can only assume the mechanics work against them (They often do, keeping GL up is very annoying sometimes.) or they're just not giving it their all / not very good ect.

A great monk is unparalleled melee wise if the fight is kindish to them and they have some real skill with the class. NIN is still a great class, by no means weak, but it IS the weaker of the three melee but not by a massive amount. SE did a great job balancing them in my opinion. I like them all if truth be told. XD

As or vulnerability / slash debuff. A friend of mine once said, and quite harshly at that, "Why would you take a NIN when you could take a MNK?". While I don't exactly agree with that sentiment, I do see their point. XD

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Kurt S. - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 08:07 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: DRG isn't shit anymore.

and in fact if more of them elusive jump'd they would stop being shit.

You haven't stopped proving the viability of elusive jumps haven't you?

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Seye Qhesu - 04-13-2015

Seeing the trailer itself made me want to suddenly make bri an official dragoon...but I hate ret conning and I sure as hell am not leveling up an alternative through all of that msq stuff again.

I was very pleased with how they depicted dragoons and feel like others they did a good job with animating how the jumps truly visualize in combat.

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Yangh - 04-13-2015

After re-watching the trailer a few times... contrary to what I once thought about DRG jumps as they're portrayed mechanic wise in the game, they are incredibley fast, extremely accurate and can be propelled without any aiding force (One of the Dragoon's literally changes direction and fires himself down like a bullet. That was cool.)

I used to think they jumped and fell but... according to the trailer that isn't the case. 'Goon's be scary. @w@

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

I'll spit out the inconvenient caveat:

The dragoons in the trailer are probably life-long soldiers and cream of the crop. They're the ones on the front lines right now killing dragons to protect their country. It's not unreasonable to say "Oh, that's what world-class dragoons are capable of."

That's not to say that every single dragoon out there learns how to do it instantly.

Show Content

RE: Lore drops concerning Dragoon via the Heavensward Opening: - Makyn Loneseeker - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 10:06 AM)Yangh Wrote: After re-watching the trailer a few times... contrary to what I once thought about DRG jumps as they're portrayed mechanic wise in the game, they are incredibley fast, extremely accurate and can be propelled without any aiding force (One of the Dragoon's literally changes direction and fires himself down like a bullet. That was cool.)

I used to think they jumped and fell but... according to the trailer that isn't the case. 'Goon's be scary. @w@
Les be careful with the 'goons there. xD

Also for any of those training to be a dragoon definitely wouldn't learn it instantly. But I can definitely see some accidents involving flying very far away from the originally planned destination during a jump. Big Grin