Hydaelyn Role-Players
trouble figuring out a character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: trouble figuring out a character (/showthread.php?tid=11090)

trouble figuring out a character - FloriaRaine - 04-13-2015

(Preemptive apology if this is the wrong section)

So anyone who knows me probably knows I'm a huge alt-oholic, lately I've been trying to figure out an alt idea for heavensward, i know plenty of things about the au ra already, she's an entertainer, a songstress dancer bard, whose very peculiar about when or what she performs, she's an astrologian, and very mysterious. Though there lays the problem, she's a mystery even to me!

So, my fellow alt-oholics, or people who've been in similar situations, any tips? Advice? How do you figure out your characters for rp? This is probably the first character who wasn't written for other uses that I'm putting so much thought into

RE: trouble figuring out a character - Seye Qhesu - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 12:54 PM)FloriaRaine Wrote: (Preemptive apology if this is the wrong section)

So anyone who knows me probably knows I'm a huge alt-oholic, lately I've been trying to figure out an alt idea for heavensward, i know plenty of things about the au ra already, she's an entertainer, a songstress dancer bard, whose very peculiar about when or what she performs, she's an astrologian, and very mysterious. Though there lays the problem, she's a mystery even to me!

So, my fellow alt-oholics, or people who've been in similar situations, any tips? Advice? How do you figure out your characters for rp? This is probably the first character who wasn't written for other uses that I'm putting so much thought into
Do you have a buddy you could rp with to get a feel for the character? I always found rping them before creation helps to solidify their personal and quirks for me.

RE: trouble figuring out a character - FloriaRaine - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 12:55 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 12:54 PM)FloriaRaine Wrote: (Preemptive apology if this is the wrong section)

Do you have a buddy you could rp with to get a feel for the character? I always found rping them before creation helps to solidify their personal and quirks for me.

That sounds like a good idea, i should give that a try. Thanks!

RE: trouble figuring out a character - Nebbs - 04-13-2015

Try...
  • Start some forum RP
  • Write a piece of fiction (that's what I did)
  • Do the 101 questions about my char
  • You could even make them as another race for now if you can overlook all the missing stuff
Just on what you have said though could I offer an alternative starting point? That is to wind back back on some of her skills and develop them further either through the writing above or in game. So she could be an young entertainer that starts out good at reading her audience, then as she progresses the dreams she has been having start to come as she performs. This would then lead into Astralogian training.

That way you can get to know the character through RP and development.

If you want to start them now, work in a curse. You know ensourceled to look like a <pick a race> which involved switching her with another baby. Just time the RP revelation and restoration for when the expansion hits. That is assuming we can change to that race when it comes out right away.

RE: trouble figuring out a character - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

Otto actually posted this great thing this morning. I haven't finished filling it out myself, but it's a spectacular at-a-glance with some meatier bits in it.

RE: trouble figuring out a character - Kishi - 04-13-2015

Well typically when I have an alt or a new character all laid out. I'll try to take them on one or two trial rps. Just to see what I like or don't like about the character, also I'll try to get a feel for how I want the character's personality to be. While I  rp with them, I'll see if seems things flow naturally or not. If things seem to go well enough, I'll finish off any small details and have my character ready to go!

Now granted things will change with anyone's character over time, but I hope this helps ya a bit to get things started! If you need any other help feel free to pm or message in game!

RE: trouble figuring out a character - ZacharyVolfire - 04-13-2015

Actually i plan on becoming Au Ru and made a comedic way of changing with a firend of mine. She uses me to test potions for her and she accidentally creates a potion that make Zachary look more like his mother then his father. Losing his elezen ears and growing horns and scales but keeping his overall height and skin compelxtion.