Hydaelyn Role-Players
Astrologian FC concept! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Astrologian FC concept! (/showthread.php?tid=11188)

Astrologian FC concept! - Velaena - 04-20-2015

So as I was discussing the Au Ra and the Astrologians while trying to sell Heavensward and FFXIV to an irl friend who plays WoW they basically asked if the Astrologians could interpret the future. I thought on it a bit and I don't see why not? It says in the description that Astrologians of the past "laboured to master the skill of foresight" and apparently did. So I was thinking that my character could make her living being a fortune teller. I started talking to my friend about this and I kinda figured that other people would think of this too, since it seems like a pretty obvious route of IC Astrologians other that the academic one. 

So my concept! 

An IC Astrologian centred FC where we would make money telling people their fortunes or answering questions about their future (like Oracles of ancient Greece), but may also pursue more academic activities such as charting stars. Obviously we wouldn't be closed off to other jobs IC or not and it definitely wouldn't be Au Ra only. We would perhaps operate out of a Free Company house, and then have travelling members/groups that would host events elsewhere. Readings may take as long as they wanted of course, and it may double as a tavern FC with refreshments being provided. 

I'd imagine our star charts to look something like this...

Now some questions I imagine people will ask would be along the lines of;
1) How would you tell people's fortunes when obviously you can't see the future? 
2) What if people want to be involved but can't because they are in an FC already?
3) What other roles would you need in an Astrologian centred FC?
4) Would you actually be making money?/Would people really need to pay?

So.

1) There are two possible ways I can see going about this. The first would be to make such vague Nostradamus/Pythia-esque predictions that nobody can really refute or approve them. Alternatively, we would talk to the players OOC before or during the reading (probably in /tell) about what they had planned for their character and what they wanted or didn't want to hear. ICly I would either use the star globe as a kind of crystal ball and/or the cards as tarot cards. However, whilst I would personally choose the second way of presenting the reading that would be up to the members themselves. 

2) If people want to be involved that's great! If that happens then a LS would be set up either IC or OOC about events and when they are happening/where they are happening. As I said, it wouldn't be a static FC and so I would hope there would be interest since players aren't pinned down.

3) That would depend on how things develop. From the get-go I think it would just be the fortune tellers themselves. But once the house is opened then I would personally like to see stewards/hosts, bar staff, kitchen staff including a head chef and his/her subordinates, possibly entertainment such as IC bards singing/playing while people have their readings done. If it became popular then I would imagine that security would be added also, perhaps presenting the opportunity for some cross-FC roleplay. 

4) I leave that entirely up to the players. If that want to immerse themselves that much into the RP and gil isn't an issue for them, then sure. But I wont force anyone to actually give our members gil, and I would hope that other people don't force that upon people either. 

Please feel free to PM me/reply if you're interested or have any feedback!

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - E'irawen - 04-21-2015

I like the idea. It's one I wanted to dabble with myself with the announcement of Astrologian. My only concern so far (and what has prevented me from doing much at all) is how Eorzea treats tarot, and if it's anything like how we do it or not.

But! Either way. I like this concept Smile

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - Velaena - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 02:23 PM)Fai Wrote: I like the idea. It's one I wanted to dabble with myself with the announcement of Astrologian. My only concern so far (and what has prevented me from doing much at all) is how Eorzea treats tarot, and if it's anything like how we do it or not.

But! Either way. I like this concept Smile
Thank you! That was a concern for me too but I think, along with other forms of Magic it would be accepted and possibly taken quite seriously. Taking the example of the Oracle of Delphi, for arguments sake, shows that there has been a huge buzz around knowing the fate of oneself. Though prophecy is in no ways limited to Ancient Greece, it was also popular among many ancient civilisations. It is closely associated with Romani people also. 

I think in terms of Eorzea, they are at the point in history where they still don't know much about the world. Religion and magic are commonplace, but there are also scientific and industrial advances. For this reason I think it would be met with skepticism initially (as would all new practices) but as it is a type of magic and is legitimate in that sense, it may grow to be quite popular. 

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - Virella - 04-21-2015

All I can speak if for the Ishgardian, they find it a waste your craft onto any else than the Dravanian Horde. Astrologian NPCs back in the Observatorium make this pretty clear! But as for personal choices, and non-Ishgardians? I wouldn't exclude doing such things. However, it seems the Ishgardian lot are very much against using their craft for non-Dragonsong stuff.

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - allgivenover - 04-21-2015

I'd be game for a linkshell, sure. The concept is too narrow to base an entire FC around though.

EDIT: Of course, need more lore to go off of, but it is an interesting idea.

(04-21-2015, 04:19 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: All I can speak if for the Ishgardian, they find it a waste your craft onto any else than the Dravanian Horde. Astrologian NPCs back in the Observatorium make this pretty clear! But as for personal choices, and non-Ishgardians? I wouldn't exclude doing such things. However, it seems the Ishgardian lot are very much against using their craft for non-Dragonsong stuff.
I can see that being true for Ishgardian Astrologian, the craft itself originated in Sharlayan implying that there are other Astrologians out there. That being said, there are bound to be Ishgardian characters that break that lore and maybe want nothing to do with Ishgard. 
(04-21-2015, 04:52 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I'd be game for a linkshell, sure. The concept is too narrow to base an entire FC around though.

EDIT: Of course, need more lore to go off of, but it is an interesting idea.
Yeah, the lore is only a few sentences, but once we get more I'll be developing the idea. Like I said, it is only a concept thus far.

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - Orphean - 04-21-2015

I'd be all over this as a linkshell given I plan to head into the class when it's released. I already had thoughts of making a fortune teller's linkshell as it is, as it seems to be a popular theme and my character would be all about exchanging tips/tricks and possibly patrons.

RE: Astrologian FC concept! - Lutra - 04-21-2015

My Au Ra character will an astrologian/fortuneteller/crystal healer type, so I would definitely be interested if this becomes a linkshell. :)

(04-21-2015, 05:14 PM)Orphean Wrote: I'd be all over this as a linkshell given I plan to head into the class when it's released. I already had thoughts of making a fortune teller's linkshell as it is, as it seems to be a popular theme and my character would be all about exchanging tips/tricks and possibly patrons.

(04-21-2015, 05:16 PM)Lutra Wrote: My Au Ra character will an astrologian/fortuneteller/crystal healer type, so I would definitely be interested if this becomes a linkshell. Smile

Sounds like a Linkshell will be my first priority to set up! Hopefully that could evolve into an FC. I would also love some feedback on possible names.