Hydaelyn Role-Players
Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? (/showthread.php?tid=11216)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-21-2015

So. How many people are thinking it?

Do you know if any people are considering avoiding RPC because of it?

WHY IS IT HAPPENING?!

What's with all the recent aggression in so many threads lately?! Disagreeing on a topic is fine. Having a debate doesn't need to have a "losing" side. Opinions are OPINIONS. They cannot be considered "wrong". (Maybe informed, but that's an opinion!)

There's been a noticeable trend lately in newer threads that there needs to be some "correct" interpretation to EVERYTHING. Honestly, it's kinda sickening. Why is there this massive push for everything to be 100% compatible with everything else? Am I really speaking only for myself when I say "we're roleplayers playing in a make-believe game"? There can be disagreements. There can be differing levels of realism. The word "Fantasy" is in the title of the game we play! I'm sure everyone has some level of realism they want to play in. There are -how- many active users in the forums? 100% compliance across the board just isn't gonna happen.

For the most established members, remember when we held actual discussion instead of arguing a petty point until the mods needed to delete posts or lock a thread? They shouldn't need to do that. They're people too. And they've got opinions as well. Can't we (as a community) be a LOT more respectable to each other? If there's a post/thread you don't like, exercise some restraint. An argument on the internet isn't going to suddenly make Square Enix change their minds on a design decision.

It's even stated in the rules of the site. Own your words. Please. I'm begging. If you don't think you can keep the peace, then please don't derail a thread's topic or post otherwise aggressive comments. Can't we get along AND be in disagreement if necessary?

edit: I should state directly. I like being on the RPC. I'm not considering leaving, but I have seen related posts by people who used to come on here who frequent less and less due to the drama, which is greatly upsetting.

2nd edit: so...I have no idea if the translation's "good" or not, and I am completely incapable of understanding korean. But it's catchy and upbeat. And the couple English clips in it sum it up well, as far as I can tell.
Show Content

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - OttoVann - 04-21-2015

I think you will come to see it in this thread, as people wax poetically about what should be different and why they've said certain things in the past. To be honest I can't figure it out, this is the first and likely last mmo I will RP in for a variety of reasons, and for a while I was high on the RPC but I haven't visited it for months until recently.

The only thing I can "point out" is that from what I've seen, a lot of people that aren't 'old-crowd' RPC members are straight ignored in any discussion that lasts more than 2 pages, the 'old-crowd' people seemingly talk back and forth only while the rest just sort of speak to the void.

The other thing I guess I could stretch for and say is that theres been quite a few more threads with just...hundreds and hundreds of bitchfest posts arguing over inane shit. Ive been around a few forums, the only threads that ever went to a critical-mass like size were the ones dedicated to women in bikinis or something to that effect. This place has them on a regular basis now.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Kage - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 04:58 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: How many people are considering avoiding RPC because of it?
I know several who were and have done this but once aired out a nice lovely bearded* man said he'd voice some of what our thoughts were.

I said it earlier today, but kudos to you.

*I'm sorry I actually don't know if you're bearded but Osric's got a beard and whenever he doesn't it's -weird-

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:07 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Ive been around a few forums, the only threads that ever went to a critical-mass like size were the ones dedicated to women in bikinis or something to that effect. This place has them on a regular basis now.

Clearly the solution is bring back the cheesecake thread.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=7874&highlight=hotties

Also I don't know, but I am not sure it's recent. The hot button issues used to be arguing over in game things (aka housing.) but I remember the white mage lore arguments quite vividly.

It almost seems cyclical, however I think this sort of obsession with realism or what is 'believable' will be forgotten just like those other topics were. I think people just need to get it out of their system.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Hammersmith - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:07 PM)OttoVann Wrote: The other thing I guess I could stretch for and say is that theres been quite a few more threads with just...hundreds and hundreds of bitchfest posts arguing over inane shit.  Ive been around a few forums, the only threads that ever went to a critical-mass like size were the ones dedicated to women in bikinis or something to that effect.  This place has them on a regular basis now.
[Image: nerdss.gif]

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Aaron - 04-21-2015

Doesn't take much to ignore someone when they start making snide remarks. 

In that thread where me and flynt apologize any post that had something intended to belittle or such in it, i simply stopped reading mid post and went to the next post.

Not that hard people lol

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Aya - 04-21-2015

Things have been a little bit testy!  (Too testy I think too). 

Our fun threads that run to amazing length though are like the compliments thread and stuff!  Community building fun, I think... that's not bad at all Smile

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Chris Ganale - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:07 PM)OttoVann Wrote: The only thing I can "point out" is that from what I've seen, a lot of people that aren't 'old-crowd' RPC members are straight ignored in any discussion that lasts more than 2 pages, the 'old-crowd' people seemingly talk back and forth only while the rest just sort of speak to the void.

This is a pretty common thing. I won't inflate my sense of worth by saying it's a big issue, but it is common.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Hammersmith - 04-21-2015

Realtalk as a newb-

I've had good "fun" threads and a few good "Srs time" threads here.  I've not run into much or any "real" aggression either.

Maybe I need to go into these sketchier threads....

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Zhavi - 04-21-2015

I blame end-of-cycle boredom. People need new and shiny things to distract them.

But also, lots of people are in school. Finals should be coming up soon. Stress can make people testy. *shrugs*

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Aya - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:24 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: Maybe I need to go into these sketchier threads....
But what if we just ignore you? Then where will you be! *foot tap* Hmmm? ^_^

(04-21-2015, 05:25 PM)Aya Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 05:24 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: Maybe I need to go into these sketchier threads....
But what if we just ignore you? Then where will you be! *foot tap* Hmmm? ^_^
Outside.

Playing sports.

NERD.

*runs off crying*

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Seye Qhesu - 04-21-2015

A huge problem is that it is hard to read the tone of what someone may imply from text which may on one hand be done as a joke to ease what may already be seen as aggression only to make it worse.

I do feel as if there has been a good bit of aggression but I think it is everyone just getting 'ancy about the Xpac coming around and wanting to nitpick lore or other issues they see fit. I am sure it will blow over but I surely hope no one becomes fearful of the RPC. I've met some amazing people here and know I will continue to do so!

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Steel Wolf - 04-21-2015

Some threads have been a bit...zesty? But overall this is still the place that I go to repeatedly to keep in touch with my RP homies and the game that I love. Even despite some of its more boneheaded design decisions.

I think that maybe we should take stock in what's coming. We've got an expansion pack to what is easily the biggest MMO success story of 2014, with all sorts of new, wanted and eagerly awaited jobs and ALL of the characterization that comes with it! Good, bad or brilliant. The doldrums before are gonna suck...and I have a pretty strong feeling that launch will be a disaster for at least four days...but this is positive!

Accentuate the positive, my brothers and sisters! ROEHUGS TO ALL, DAMMIT!

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Elaris - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:18 PM)Aaron Wrote: Doesn't take much to ignore someone when they start making snide remarks. 

In that thread where me and flynt apologize any post that had something intended to belittle or such in it, i simply stopped reading mid post and went to the next post.

Not that hard people lol

This is basically what most people should do honestly. Rarely there is going to be somebody who does not agree with your opinion so they will toss snide remarks your way, post a meme to try and make your post seem insignificant or a joke if you will. I do agree that the forums have been somewhat tense lately with some hostility, some people just need to agree to disagree when it appears that you cannot change somebodies opinion, it is their opinion afterall. I have only ever been a lurker really since I had joined the RPC but it was nice to read community debates, and it is also nice to view those community building threads too. I guess my only rant would be is to ease up on the memes, I noticed some threads get derailed by memes lately and It does get annoying imo. Although I mention the memes it is something I can ignore too if need be, this is the best RP community I had been able to lurk and trust me I had lurked more than a few over the past 5 years.Blush