Hydaelyn Role-Players
About Au Ra... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: About Au Ra... (/showthread.php?tid=11402)

About Au Ra... - Raine - 04-30-2015

As I've said in my introduction topic, I plan to make the shift to Au Ra, and their motif is demons. I would assume that means the Au Ra are descendants of demons/Voidsent seeing as their scales are somewhat similar to these beings (and possibly a Hyur, as they seem Hybrid). I don't have any concrete RP storylines going on or anything currently, so I wanted to ask/discuss something before I did so, going on whether or not they were always an Au Ra.

An Au Ra trains (body and soul) for years, while researching their lineage, recounting tales possibly passed down from generation to generation. Would said Au Ra possibly be able to transform into a demon, even if only for a short time? Here's an eample:

An Au Ra out hunting gets ambushed by a pack of Couerl, and - while fending themselves off - gets severely wounded. With a strong will, and retaining quite a bit of knowledge about their lineage, they undergo a (very short) transformation into a type of Voidsent/demon, quickly dispatching the remaining Couerl. Reverting back to their original form, the Au Ra passes out from both their wounds, and exhaustion from the transformation.

For plots' sake, an adventurer or patrol finds the Au Ra, patching up their wounds. After awakening, the Au Ra remembers gaining a power boost, but not much else, and delves further into their past, potentially learning how to transform at will. Would this be plausible?

If it is plausible, so as to not make this OP: Each time an Au Ra transforms, their lifespan is shortened (hence the exhaustion when they revert), and if in that transformed state for too long (may vary between Au Ra, I'd give it a limit of maybe two minutes at best), their demonic instinct may take over, forcing their own comrades to kill them.

Sorry for the wall of text! I just wanted to ask and discuss this before I officially decided on whether or not my character would've been an Au Ra all along - or whether they just suddenly woke up as one. I also got this idea from the Dark Devices FATE-line, when the lady sacrifices herself to the Succubus who takes over her body.

RE: About Au Ra... - Fox - 04-30-2015

I could be wrong, because I'm still in class and haven't seen if there were lore updates recently. But I do not think it has been established to this extent and only mention was that they are demon motif (appearance) not specifically void sent or demons themselves.

I would be careful with this until more lore is officially released.

RE: About Au Ra... - Raine - 04-30-2015

^ Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if it was plausible. That's why I asked beforehand. I'll also wait for lore, I'd rather not break it, especially if my idea is WAY off base.

I don't think anyone right now can say if it is or is not plausible at this point with so little lore.

Yeah, I guess I got ahead of myself on that. Either way I'd have to wait before even trying this idea out. I'll just keep this in mind once more info about the Au Ra pop up

RE: About Au Ra... - Arelian - 04-30-2015

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't expect too much lore on Au Ra beyond the little snippet we've received in the character creation/maybe a few blurbs here and there ingame. No other race has been explored in-depth and so we really shouldn't expect the same for Au Ra.

As far as the possible demonic-heritage. Honestly? I don't think it has anything to do with demons. Just like Miqo'te don't have anything to do with people gettin' down with some cats at some point in history. It's just the design aesthetic they were going for.

RE: About Au Ra... - Mercer - 04-30-2015

I doubt we'll see much more lore about the Au Ra, Square hasn't been the most forthcoming with lore for the different races. 

Conceptually they are based on a combination of demonic and dragon concepts back when Heavensward was first being created. They are a hybridization of both ideals, thus don't really fit either. They are unique, not demonic or draconic.

(04-30-2015, 05:02 PM)Sylas Wrote: I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't expect too much lore on Au Ra beyond the little snippet we've received in the character creation/maybe a few blurbs here and there ingame. No other race has been explored in-depth and so we really shouldn't expect the same for Au Ra.

As far as the possible demonic-heritage. Honestly? I don't think it has anything to do with demons. Just like Miqo'te don't have anything to do with people gettin' down with some cats at some point in history. It's just the design aesthetic they were going for.
Hm, yeah... You're right, I just saw the focus on Yugiri and her reveal, so I figured that their lineage might be explored a little bit in Heavensward, what with Ishgardians likely to be hostile to these dragon-looking people. Like I said, I don't want to break lore, so if it doesn't seem plausible (which to, me, it doesn't, it was just an interesting idea that popped into my head, and wanted to hear others opinions on whether or not they thought it was), I won't do it.

Good points by Sylas and Oswin. I have said before that SE tends to keep open racial lore very wide unlike in depth species like Chiss in star wars. Regardless, I'd still wait a bit. I do too think they mean aesthetics by saying demon motif.

RE: About Au Ra... - Harmonixer - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 05:02 PM)Sylas Wrote: I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't expect too much lore on Au Ra beyond the little snippet we've received in the character creation/maybe a few blurbs here and there ingame. No other race has been explored in-depth and so we really shouldn't expect the same for Au Ra.

Of all people, I should be fully in support of the idea of transforming into demons/monster and what have you.

But I'm willing to be it has absolutely nothing to do with that, and is unlikely that it would ever happen.

Not to mention, you don't need to be au ra to make any sort of void related transformations. Temptations are available to all races when you consider things like Haukke Manor's lore. Even then, the change that happens there is pretty conditional.

Quote:“Once used by seedseers as a place for spiritual reflection and meditation, Haukke Manor was long frowned upon by the people of Gridania as a symbol of excess. After years of protest, the building was finally sold to a wealthy duskwight by the name of Lady Amandine. While little is known of the Lady, it was said that she was exceptionally vain, and that to maintain her impeccable beauty, she would spare no expense. From facial creams concocted from rare Coerthas honeys to shampoos derived from the milk of exotic phurbles, her daily ritual of beauty treatments escalated until it was rumored she was bathing in the blood of her virgin maidservants. No amount of man-made tinctures, however could hide the hideous scars she eventually suffered during the Calamity, and from that day forth she was forced to turn to a darker solution, signing away her very soul in a final effort to "save face". ”

It's possible to pick up more 'demon-like' traits I should think- in terms of personality and mannerisms. Like some miqotes that purr or whatever. There are plenty of fighters out there that have animal traits, mostly in namesake and in costume.

OP is right, it is for some interesting discussion but I don't think it's ever going to be a thing. Sans the examples I listed, and those are extremely conditional.

It's early to still, but I really hope they don't go this rate. If you think the rage about their race being introduced to the game in the first place is loud, wait till people who don't play them find out they may be super snowflakes.

(04-30-2015, 05:19 PM)Harmonixer Wrote: It's early to still, but I really hope they don't go this rate. If you think the rage about their race being introduced to the game in the first place is loud, wait till people who don't play them find out they may be super snowflakes.

I think it could potentially upset people who plan on playing them currently as well. Such a thing could alienate people more. I wouldn't say that the race being demonic would place them necessarily as snowflakes. Potential, yes, but that wouldn't prevent people from making them as such or people calling them snowflakes even if they werent over powered.

*sorry mobile posts my fonts huge, had to fix it.

(04-30-2015, 05:19 PM)Harmonixer

Not to mention, you don't need to be au ra to make any sort of void related transformations. Temptations are available to all races when you consider things like Haukke Manor's lore. Even then, the change that happens there is pretty conditional. Wrote:
It's early to still, but I really hope they don't go this rate. If you think the rage about their race being introduced to the game in the first place is loud, wait till people who don't play them find out they may be super snowflakes.
I agree with this. I'd rather it not be something like this at all. I completely forgot about Haukke Manor and the storyline behind that. If something like this does actually happen in the storyline, or it's revealed that it's possible for Au Ra to undergo transformation, but only by a very rare, select few, then I'd be for it.

Again though, the limit for said transformation (for myself anyway) would be two minutes tops, and the conssequences that I thought up (shorter lifespan, major exhaustion after reverting, potential loss of mind to demonic side) would likely make many shy away from this idea, or to even try it.