Hydaelyn Role-Players
Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball (/showthread.php?tid=11604)

Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Icywebs - 05-14-2015

Hello! 

Fresh blood. Sprout. Newb. Whatever you'd like to call me, that's me! I've been staring at this forum since my friend gave me the link and have finally decided to take that leap of faith. Provided all goes well, my tale will not end with me being little more than an hors d'oeures. The template seems a great way to present myself, so here goes!

MMORPG background:
I started playing MMOs about 10 years ago. Prior to that, my life was primarily on chat mediums like Halsoft (AKA: VP - Virtual Places, Excite chat). 
  • World of Warcraft since vanilla beta. I started on Kargath when the game went live. Moved several servers around. It took a couple years for me to actually find RP and wasn't just griefed off the RP servers. 
  • City of Heroes since launch. I played on Virtue, the official-unoffical RP server.
  • Lord of the Rings Online - I started playing about 3 years ago on Landroval. I miss the accommodations it made for RPers such as instruments, player housing, and I LOVE the cosmetic system. I love it. It is perhaps the best system in existence. The cosmetics were fantastic. Despite being an outdated game, it's BEAUTIFUL. Sadly, the community kind of imploded. 
  • I touched Wild Star. I got bored and left.
  • FFXI - I made it to 20. There wasn't much RP easily found at that point on the Fairy server. 
  • FFXIV - The newest addition. I am thinking I'll probably end up staying at least a while.

RP Experience:

I have been RPing on text based mediums for 17 years. Over half my life now. I started when I was twelve on ICQ. It evolved when I was introduced to Halsoft/VP/Excite Chat, a chat program which was out of this world for the time. 

Show Content

I have done a lot of forum RP with varying degrees of long-written responses to short paragraphs. 

I have done a great deal of RP via messenger as I thrive on direct interaction. 

I have co-written stories, which is almost like RP. 

I have RPed in MMOs. 

I have a lot of tabletop gaming experience. My favorite settings/systems are: World of Darkness, Exalted, D&D 3.5, Eberon, Forgotten Realms, Iron Heroes, Arcana Unearthed/Evolved.

I LARP in a Dark Ages: World of Darkness game which involves multiple factions such as Vampire, Werewolf/Fera, Wraith, Mage, etc... 

I LARP in a Steampunk version of Oz using materials from movies and books to piece together something that works for a setting. 

I've taken a lot from each of these experiences. I've learned not to be an elitist, I've learned that sometimes a character acting strangely isn't just a troll, idiot, unappealing newb, or necessarily a Mary Sue. I've learned that every character worth a damn DOES have traits that are Mary Sue and said traits will be acceptable to some and not others. Every character. Even by some of the best RPers I've met. I've learned etiquette in dealing with RP. I have a VERY solid IC/OOC filter and find that the sanctity of IC needs to remain there lest we cheapen the story. 

Most of all, I have learned that I have a lot more to learn.  I feel this is true of everyone, whether they've RPed for 3 days or 20 years. 

Character Ideas/Info:

I have a little bit of altidus going on here, so I've created about half a dozen characters already. Each has a unique personality, though I'd like to play a bit more and peruse the lore provided on this sensational site before I set them in stone. 

The concepts I've managed thus far: 
  • Very much a stereotypical Conjurer who was not given the Echo. Wasn't a big time adventurer. Grew up in Gridania. 
  • Snarky little Thaumaterge/Black Mage who is, ICly, kind of a troll. She's playfully so, however, and not quite maliciously so. Generally. Obviously, there are darker layers in the onion.
  • White Mage (I KNOW! I already have a Conjurer!) type who I am considering having been one of those returned. Obviously not the sensation we're each individually made out to be in the main storyline but I am absolutely enthralled with the idea of playing 'one of those people'. 
  • Highlander who is a bit more tribal. Very much my combat prowess character type. Not really one to back down. Dominant and more intense personality. ADORABLE with her little dreadlocks. I mean, wut? Oh so fierce to a fault! Probably going to get herself into way more trouble than any of it is worth.
  • Stereotypical rogue type. Cunning, witty, charismatic, and very much an information gatherer. Pretty decent with a blade, even better when she gets the drop on someone. But I wouldn't quite deem her to be a super-crazy-awesome-assassin. Just a really good one. ^_~
How did you learn about the coalition? 

I followed some friends back to this game. They took a hiatus for a time and went to WoW, joined my guild, and earned my affection. They were talking up this game a lot, and excited about the expansion. Being a fan of Final Fantasy in general, I opted to give it a shot. I love how it plays like another Final Fantasy game. I love the story. I love how cute I am. I have lurked throughout the cities and observed the RP, which for city/hub RP in an MMO is FAR superior to some of the others. So I expressed a lot of interest in the RP. 

One of my friends gave me the link, and also sent me about a dozen links about the lore and areas specific to my interests. 

What kind of Role-player are you aiming to be?

Medium-heavy. Right now I add medium because I am interested in seeing the rest of the story. After that point, I intend fully to get cute RP gear and be pretty much an avid RPer in this game. The RP is what draws me in to MMOs anymore, not the grind. Not dungeons. Not raids. Though I'll do these things anyway cuz... that's where you get the cute stuff. I mean. Wut?

Anything from real life you're comfortable in sharing?

I'm super boring. I'm happily married. We've taken in 4 friends (it's a big house so we really don't see them as often as one would think) so it makes life a little hectic for me. I'm head of one of the staff departments for my primary LARP, which can be time consuming. 

I have an adorable fuzzy child who is turning 17 this year. Her name is Kitty. 

I love to draw and am teaching myself to use Adobe Photoshop for coloring purposes. However, I still prefer to draw on a notebook and scan it as the medium for the linework is both more familiar and natural to me. 

I'm very happy with life, more so now that I've adjusted my lifestyle to accommodate an auto-immune disease I've been dealing with since I was 16. 

I turn 30 this year. 

I'm kind of a dork. 

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Makyn Loneseeker - 05-14-2015

Welcome to the meat grinder!

You'll fit right in. Big Grin

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Warren Castille - 05-14-2015

Good morning!

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit about yourself. Here's to hoping you find the concept you like most in a timely manner; There's a lot of lore and room to write in here in XIV, and it's very very easy to get sidetracked by OOH, WHAT IF I MADE THIS PERSON AND-

It's especially difficult on Balmung because our server is so full, we're almost always locked for character creation after a short window in the early (US) mornings.

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Mercurias - 05-14-2015

(05-14-2015, 06:40 AM)Icywebs Wrote:
Character Ideas/Info:

I have a little bit of altidus going on here, so I've created about half a dozen characters already. Each has a unique personality, though I'd like to play a bit more and peruse the lore provided on this sensational site before I set them in stone. 

The concepts I've managed thus far: 
  • Very much a stereotypical Conjurer who was not given the Echo. Wasn't a big time adventurer. Grew up in Gridania. 
  • Snarky little Thaumaterge/Black Mage who is, ICly, kind of a troll. She's playfully so, however, and not quite maliciously so. Generally. Obviously, there are darker layers in the onion.
  • White Mage (I KNOW! I already have a Conjurer!) type who I am considering having been one of those returned. Obviously not the sensation we're each individually made out to be in the main storyline but I am absolutely enthralled with the idea of playing 'one of those people'. 
  • Highlander who is a bit more tribal. Very much my combat prowess character type. Not really one to back down. Dominant and more intense personality. ADORABLE with her little dreadlocks. I mean, wut? Oh so fierce to a fault! Probably going to get herself into way more trouble than any of it is worth.
  • Stereotypical rogue type. Cunning, witty, charismatic, and very much an information gatherer. Pretty decent with a blade, even better when she gets the drop on someone. But I wouldn't quite deem her to be a super-crazy-awesome-assassin. Just a really good one. ^_~

First, welcome to the game and the forums. We're glad to have you, and we hope you have the best time ever. 

I also turn 30 this year. Let us both weep quietly into our keyboards and wonder where our youth went. Tongue

Looking over your concepts, I like them, and while I'd be super careful about the WHM thing (white mages are very hard to do as far as lore goes), I've seen some others who were forced to make the time jump and had everyone who didn't jump, including friends and family, forget about them. Some characters have a lot of trouble with that if they were close to their friends and family, while others just don't give a flip.

If you get bored, please feel free to hit me up for RP on the forums on on my listed alts in the game! I hope to see you around!

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Martiallais - 05-14-2015

Popping in to say welcome aboard from another former Virtuer. Big Grin There's actually quite a few of us hanging about here and there on Balmung. Props to another tabletopper (high five WoD! I'm a Hunter/Werewolf sort myself) and while it seems like you've got quite a few ideas, feel free to hit up the Character Development forum as there's lots of nice prompts, questions, and folks sharing about their character too.

Hope to see you around! Cool

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Icywebs - 05-14-2015

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! 

Mercurias, thank you very much for the tips! And indeed, I'll just pull out my fine plum wine and lament ^_~ You're very welcome to join me.

I was wondering if you had any resources I should look into to make sure I am able to pull WHM off accurately. I've been reading what resources I can and following my questline. 

Zarek, I will absolutely look into the Character Development area for the aforementioned desire to be accurate. Nice to see another VP refugee! I haven't seen very many folks since Halsoft went to paid services x_x. 

See you in game!

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Martiallais - 05-14-2015

(05-14-2015, 01:09 PM)Icywebs Wrote: Thank you very much for the warm welcome! 
Zarek, I will absolutely look into the Character Development area for the aforementioned desire to be accurate. Nice to see another VP refugee! I haven't seen very many folks since Halsoft went to paid services x_x. 

See you in game!

Herp derp, my fault. I meant Virtuer as in played on Virtue in CoH. Whoops!

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Aya - 05-14-2015

Welcome to Balmung - soon, soon!!

(I also played on Virtue, albeit very briefly ^_^)

Edit: Just do a search for White Mage on the forum.. you're likely to turn up a number of very contentious threads. My suggestion would be to give the entire idea a wide berth until you're feeling comfortable in your FF lore footing :-]

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Jancis - 05-14-2015

Holy RP Pro Batman! Dazed It would have been shorter to list what you haven't done. Lalalalala~

I know there's a good chunk of CoH (Rest in Peace) alumni that role play here and they've been a delight to be around.

I was on WoW Moon Guard for years and did a spot of RP with some closer friends! And I had an elf on Landroval ^_^ Loved the music. That cowbell ♥

I'm of the opinion that un-special people have more depth and become special. Going to echo some of the other comments and say the white mage, if any, might work out as a highlight npc style for a special story, but as long as you're having fun you're winning the game. I'm not going to link any, but there are a lot of threads in the RP discussion comparing classes/jobs and their ilk, particularly white mage info.

Welcome aboard!

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Sounsyy - 05-14-2015

Welcome to the RPC and Eorzea! If you have lore questions feel free to post them and we'll try to get you an answer. ^^

RE: Wading in with entire body, but somehow not a cannonball - Icywebs - 05-14-2015

I wasn't entirely sure about the viability of white mage ICly. I had assumed that as a class it was viable enough to play. But if there's a stigma, I'm pretty sure I don't want to deal with that the moment I start playing. 

Given its close ties to Conjurer I may just go ahead and stick with that.

I should also add, thank you very much for the advice! I am greatly appreciative.