Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafellin Family Names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafellin Family Names (/showthread.php?tid=11655)

Lalafellin Family Names - Cailinus - 05-17-2015

Hello everyone Smile

I am quite new to this place, so forgive me if I haven't looked around hard enough to find the information I needed (there's just so much to go through!).

I have a Dunesfolk Lalafell, Mamani Mani, who is 57 years old, and serves as the Quartermistress for our FC. Long story short, before she joined my FC in an official capacity (long time ago, before the Calamity; in other words, when she was only a young lady), she used to work with her parents as a merchant and a crafter, until things started going downhill. She joined up with the FC as a means to have steady income and help her parents with enough for food and shelter, but her parents wanted to keep their shop running, so they began to take loans, and now the loan sharks are after her parents for having missed their payments, so she and her brother are having to find ways to make additional income to help pay for their parents' debts.

"So, what's your question? All you've done is ramble .__."

Well, I want to give her brother and her parents life, create a story for them, and make them more than just "my brother, father and mother". With that, comes giving them a name, and although I understand the naming conventions for Lalafell, the one thing that I have not been able to find is how one would be able to tell Lalafellin families apart. How could I name her brother and parents in such a way that, lore-wise, would indicate they are all from the same family? Is there a particular syllable in the name that signifies "this Lala is from such-and-such family" or is it a free-for-all and I just get to say that they're related?

If there is a specific indicator of families, and any of you have any examples to give, I would be more than glad to see what you may come up with!

As an added question: if any of your suggestions sound like something I would use, may I have your permission to use such names? If you would all be so kind as to give me a 'yes' or a 'no' if you happen to suggest a name, I would greatly appreciate it!

RE: Lalafellin Family Names - Sounsyy - 05-17-2015

Here's a link to the Lalafellin Naming Conventions. While it doesn't specifically make mention of shared family names, it does have a couple things which may point in the right direction.

Quote:Surnames are only surnames in placement, as they are not taken from the mother or father and are unique to the individual.

This means that examples like the Coco brothers of the Thaumaturges guild share a common rhyming syllable in their surname for one of two reasons: 1) their parents simply wanted the brothers to all have the same syllable or 2) only brothers/sisters/siblings share same rhyming syllables, but not parents.

However!
Quote:Fun Fact: Members of the Ul'dah and Sil'dih royal families also bear the names of their respective sultanates.

- Nanamo Ul Namo
- Lalawefu Sil Tatawefu

This may be specific to Dunesfolk but the two Lalafellin family names we do have examples of in lore are placed in the middle of the First and Surname. So an example of a family name for your character may look something like...

Mamani Dal Mani
Mamani El Mani
Mamani Gib Mani

Family names, based on our extremely limited lore examples, appear to be one syllable, vowel-prevalent names. First and Fore are unique to the individual and based on a rhyming scheme due to the Lalafellin's native language being a musically influenced language.

Quote:Throughout history, the Lalafell passed their histories down through song, which is why even now many use heavy alliteration in their speech.

Hope this helps! ^^ Sorry there's not much more lore on the topic.

RE: Lalafellin Family Names - Gegenji - 05-18-2015

It may not be cleaving too close to the lore, but I've inferred a familial line with my Lalas by having them have a pseudo-Coco Brothers-style naming convention for the boys. To wit, they are all A-A-nji so that their last name can be Gegenji.

Zozonji Gegenji
Gogonji Gegenji
Chachanji Gegenji

I could also explain this away, though, as just a family practice - done to keep the name "Gegenji" continuing from generation to generation. Possibly after the original Gegenji who started the family of smiths in the first place all those cycles ago. Since Doma is sorta not-Japan, I've leaned a bit on the patriarchal lineage format for my little Doman Lalafell family, so it sorta-kinda makes sense that the name would be carried on by the boys?

As for the girls, I've had them share the last syllable of their mother. Zozonji Gegenji married Jijinya Jinya. Their daughter is Nininya Ninya. So, in that way, a bit of the mother's line is carried along as well. However, it's not as consistent since the wife is married in and thus will change every generation.

So, for example, let's say Chachan got married to a girl - let's call her Tetesti Testi, keeping her a Dunesfolk for simplicity's sake. They have a boy and a girl. The boy would be named something like "Raranji Gegenji" while the girl would be named "Nenesti Nesti" or something.

... Then again, I put way too much thought into goofy little nuances like this, so your mileage (malmage?) may vary. Blush

(Plus, being the dork he is... he'd likely name one of them after his big brother. So we'd have two Gogonjis. I'd likely just refer to Chachan's kid as "Gogon Jr" or something. Laugh )

RE: Lalafellin Family Names - shotgunbadger - 05-18-2015

Yea basically there's no hard set rule about it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that some families would, especially after living with other races so long, want to emulate the 'family names' customs by setting up their kids' names so they have matchy last names. It's entirely on the family, though, I don't think any Lalafell would think you strange to do either. Personally for me none of Zutoto's family has a shared last name, but she'd find it very cute if someone did that for their kids.

RE: Lalafellin Family Names - Cailinus - 05-23-2015

I may have found something! Let me know what you guys make of it!

I just did Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard), and...

Show Content

Could it be, then, that the last one or two syllables of their first and/or last names share a common consonant or grouping of consonants?

I know I'm probably reading too much into this, but I figured since there's not enough information on this, it'd be good to see what people think, with the information we have at hand.

RE: Lalafellin Family Names - Aduu Avagnar - 05-23-2015

(05-17-2015, 07:33 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Mamani El Mani
I now want a bandito style Lalafell character....