Hydaelyn Role-Players
Flying Mounts and You - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Flying Mounts and You (/showthread.php?tid=11790)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Flying Mounts and You - K'nahli - 05-27-2015

I have been curious about this for a while now.

How many of you will be utilizing flying mounts of some description?
How many of you will be accepting flying chocobo as canon and lore-friendly(in the ARR universe)?
And finally, how many people who said yes to either of the above will be independently flying to your heart's content in pre-existing areas?

So for instance, hopping on your chocobo just outside the gates of Ul'dah and just taking off to the skies.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Gegenji - 05-27-2015

A flying chocobo has been in several Final Fantasy games before - FF4, FF5 (I believe), and FFT are the ones that immediately come to mind. So, there's nothing lore-breaking about a flying Chocobo, even if the wing sizes make it seem unfeasible.

If there comes a reason IC for any of my characters to use a flying mount, they will use it. OOCly? Riding that Fat Chocobo all over in the air once it's learned how to. Laugh

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Steel Wolf - 05-27-2015

Once realm-wide flight is available (if ever), I wholly plan to flutter about like a leaf on the wind.

A really tall leaf.

IC'ly, though, I kinda laugh at the idea of Steel being completely terrified of flight, so she'll likely be mounting one of the more "substantial" mounts until such time as she can afford (*snerk* yaright) or build (pffttt bahahahahaha) her own airship.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Bryn - 05-27-2015

I WANT MY GRIFFIN. Oh man. I am so hoping it's connected to Ala Mhigo.

And I know it's going to be lore friendly and has been in previous games, but from an anatomical standpoint there's no way a creature like the Chocobo could fly. Let alone the fat 'Bo. so I guess it's just another thing to hand wave, although it will quietly bother me.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Martiallais - 05-27-2015

I actually want a griffin for Martiallais, while Zarek's never been a fan of flying so like Steel he'll probably go for something big. I'm thinking a dragon or the like. Big Grin

And clearly the fat chocos are flying by, wait for it....

[Image: 59803453.jpg]

They stole fizzy lifting drinks!

... That or they want that cake SO MUCH that they defy physics to get to it.

Also, I'm mildly curious about the designs for the personal airships and such. Those count as flying mounts, right? Because I could totally see Judge riding around on one of those looking all stern.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Telluride - 05-27-2015

1)How many of you will be utilizing flying mounts of some description?

I preordered to get my griffin. I have no reason to use that boring chocobo except that it is a fighting companion. If SE would let other mounts be fighting companions (for which there is little excuse not to to except for SE's love of the birds mimicking the cliche' of Germans loving David Hasslehoff), I'd never use the chocobo again. EVER.

2) How many of you will be accepting flying chocobo as canon and lore-friendly?

With those tiny wings? Never. But considering that SE was showcasing a flying FAT CHOCOBO in their Heavensward Live Feed, it seems they care more about their trademark birds than they do in... well... even FANTASY PHYSICS. But, if it's not obvious, I am not nor have ever really been a fan of Chocobos, period.

3) And finally, how many people who said yes to either of the above will be independently flying to your heart's content in pre-existing areas?

Are they going to LET us fly in pre-existing areas? I thought flight was only for the new areas, so people who paid for the new content couldn't be elitist and do fly-by poops over those who didn't.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Cliodhna Eoghan - 05-27-2015

sooo sooo sooo soo freaking excited for the hanger and personal airship building!!!! clio will have her own of course and use it on a frequent basis....habanero will still be on the ground stuff (cause he's dapper) but given that clio already flies airships ic (even if it is just pretendies as we play pretendies ) it'll be nice to finally have some proper props. x3 ....ooc i'll probably use the other flying ones i have just for fun when i feel like it.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Martiallais - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:24 AM)Telluride Wrote: 3) And finally, how many people who said yes to either of the above will be independently flying to your heart's content in pre-existing areas?

Are they going to LET us fly in pre-existing areas? I thought flight was only for the new areas, so people who paid for the new content couldn't be elitist and do fly-by poops over those who didn't.

It's only the new areas right now but they mentioned that it could be something to come later, I think?

RE: Flying Mounts and You - K'nahli - 05-27-2015

I apologise if it's technically lore-friendly for them to fly then ^^  I just never heard of anyone flying so far, and though I don't doubt people do in their personal RP's, I had a feeling that chocobo flying cases were certainly few and far between.

As such, I was wondering how many people were going to suddenly start... because I'm sure they will!

Edit:
I love the excessive hype I am seeing in this thread, hahahaha

RE: Flying Mounts and You - shotgunbadger - 05-27-2015

Yea Chocobos can fly according to multiple past games, if it was me I'd rather something like a griffon be my main source of air travel just because I don't trust them stubby wings, but nothing lore breaking to worry about there!

(05-27-2015, 10:34 AM)K'nahli Wrote: I apologise if it's technically lore-friendly for them to fly then ^^  I just never heard of anyone flying so far, and though I don't doubt people do in their personal RP's, I had a feeling that chocobo flying cases were certainly few and far between.

In all cases, it was a rare Black Chocobo that was able to fly. In FF4, you actually had to use it to reach... the Magnetic Cave, I believe, since airships can't land on forest tiles. FF4 had a lot of vehicles, though - two airships, a spaceship, a hovercraft, the black chocobo, and you could always find a regular chocobo to ride too. I also believe this is where the White Chocobo was introduced as the healing chocobo, too, as a fun extra choco-fact!

I believe there was a Black Chocobo in FF5 as well, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what it was used for. I haven't played it nearly enough to commit specific scenes to memory. All I have is a vague nagging feeling that there is one in there somewhere.

FFT, though, the Black Chocobo was the only one of the three - Regular, Black, and Red - that could fly. While the Red was technically the "better" Chocobo due to being the third tier and having Choco Meteor to wreck face, it still could only run around and jump like the rest of the plebs. And, since you could ride Chocobos in combat, sometimes it's just nicer being able to just ignore the terrain and take your double-punching Ninja right to your target of choice.

Now that I think about it, I think your Chocobo in FF9 could "travel to the sky" too, but I don't quite remember if it actually flew up there to do Chocobo Hot and Cold amongst the clouds or if there was another method.

The only other case of a Black Chocobo that I can recall offhand was the Mountain-and-River Chocobo used in the second to last step to make the Gold. And also as Teioh (I think that's its name?), that jerk bird at the Saucer who always has higher stats than yours.

This has been Horsebird History with Gegenji. Laugh

EDIT: Black Chocobos! Apparently they were a cosmetic color option in FFXI, too, and provided a couple crystal shards along with its normal flying purpose in FF5! I knew I remembered them being in that one! Also, apparently they show up as flying burds in FFTA2, as well - a game I only vaguely remember playing once or twice, and am not even sure I beat it. >>

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Flickering Ember - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:04 AM)K Wrote: I have been curious about this for a while now.

So for instance, hopping on your chocobo just outside the gates of Ul'dah and just taking off to the skies.
I think you can only fly in Heavensward content. So the new zones, I think.

As for flying mounts, I don't like the chocobos much for flying. It is a little silly. But I will accept it as magic I guess. Chocobos could have a natural affinity with nature magic. 

I know. I am stretching. >_<

Does anyone know if CE digital is still available? I really want the dragon but I'd take anything over a black chocobo....>_> Sorry black chocobo fans...

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Steel Wolf - 05-27-2015

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Fat Bo sprouted giant, glowing gold wings of majesty due to the sheer force of want for that delicious, moist cake?

Yes, I know it's not actually happening, but I can dream.

RE: Flying Mounts and You - Telluride - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:50 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 10:34 AM)K'nahli Wrote: I apologise if it's technically lore-friendly for them to fly then ^^  I just never heard of anyone flying so far, and though I don't doubt people do in their personal RP's, I had a feeling that chocobo flying cases were certainly few and far between.

(snip)

This has been Horsebird History with Gegenji. Laugh

Gold Chocobo. Knights of the Round.