Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello! Brand New player - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello! Brand New player (/showthread.php?tid=11838)

Hello! Brand New player - Flashealer - 05-30-2015

Hello people of Eorzea!
I am a new player and quite unsure of what to do. Unfortunate for me, I cannot play until June 23 because I am a OSX user. On the bright side I can meet with the RP comm before I join. Super excited to seeing you all in game a monthish from now!

Now a little bit about myself. Im a Mac user since birth which limited my mmorpg choices. Ive played games like GW2 and WoW causally but never got really deep. My first RPG love was Dofus which I played off and on for 8years(!?)now. Funny thing is that Dofus is the Land of Twelve just like the 12Gods in Eorzea.

so um questions..

-What server should I play on? (I'm looking at Balmung atm)
-How important are the God of Twelve in FFxiv? In Dofus lore/rp the Twelve are major, cant seem to find much about the 12 in Eorzea however

RE: Hello! Brand New player - Garza Redwing - 05-31-2015

Welcome to the group!

I can't very well tell you much about the Gods because I'm not too familiar with them myself, but I think they play as much of a part in your story as you'd like them to. I haven't run into any encounters where it's been a huge deal, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. 

In any case, make sure you come to Balmung when you get the game so you can hang out with me!

RE: Hello! Brand New player - Sounsyy - 05-31-2015

(05-30-2015, 11:52 PM)Flashealer Wrote: -How important are the God of Twelve in FFxiv? In Dofus lore/rp the Twelve are major, cant seem to find much about the 12 in Eorzea however

The Twelve play varying roles of importance depending on who you're talking to in Eorzea. Overall, the Twelve were believed to be divine beings of immense power before a time known as the Dawn of Eras, an estimated 10,000 years ago. Some are accredited with creating life on Hydaelyn - the planet - while others are merely watchful guardians. The Twelve are only worshiped in Eorzea, not the rest of the world, and even in Eorzea, some are worshiped more than others. Nald'thal, for instance, is the patron deity of Ul'dah and its sister and mother nations Sil'dih and Belah'dia. While in Limsa Lominsa, seafarers are more like to worship Llymlaen.

While the Twelve are often credited with making life possible on Hydaelyn, (namely Nymeia, Althyk, and Llymlaen) Eorzeans do not believe in "Creationism" but believe that the current Races of Man evolved from an ancient common ancestor that was born of Hydaelyn. There's a lot of interesting evolutionary debate that many Naturalists deem farfetched - like Miqo'te having a common ancestor in the Coeurls or Elezen having evolved from Hyur... not Hyur evolved from Elezen...

Only the Beast Tribes believe they were created by Gods, but they do not believe in the Twelve, they believe they were created by Primals - Terrestrial Deities born of the Twelve and of Hydaelyn.

So as you can see there's a lot of mythology and mystery surrounding these ancient gods, but one thing all the stories have in common is that the Twelve once lived in harmony among each other, wandering and creating life on Hydaelyn. When Man first came to Eorzea - the land of the Gods and birthplace of the world - it was a harsh, unforgiving land and the Gods took pity on Man and began to favor them and watch over them. Until the Gods began to bicker amongst themselves and eventually waged war upon each other. (According to the Moogles over a glass of wine.) Eventually the Gods went into eternal slumber and Man was left alone to watch over themselves, so began the Dawn of Eras. There have been seven cycles of Astral and Umbral eras since.

Each god or goddess has its own lore, who worships them, what element they represent, etc. The lore behind each one is way too long to list out here, so I'll link a few good references:
-The Twelve
-Mercurias' Twelve Lore
-Azurymber's 1.0 Lore Guide

Hope this helps as a general overview! Lemme know if you have any questions about any of the Twelve specifically and I can try to answer those in more detail! ^^ One thing to note is that an Eorzean can choose to worship one, many, none, or all of the Twelve depending on their own belief system.

RE: Hello! Brand New player - Garza Redwing - 05-31-2015

That's actually a really good post, really interesting and I'll probably look through those three links because I'm curious about more info.

RE: Hello! Brand New player - Mountie - 06-01-2015

"Been with Mac since birth?"

You poor soul... but seriously, why not just run a dual boot for Windows fun times? Regardless, with the OSX version coming we hope to see you in-game eventually. I can never top that post on the Twelve, but yes, Balmung is the server that majority of us play and roleplay on.