Hydaelyn Role-Players
How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How would a Hyur name-change legally? (/showthread.php?tid=11969)

How would a Hyur name-change legally? - OttoVann - 06-08-2015

So, I've sort of tossed the idea around of changing Otto's last name to Nunh. Question is, how do we as player characters go about that from a writing perspective / IC perspective? Do we go to the Hall of Flames and bring a fat sack of gil and say "One namechange please?"

Not really sure how I would ever entertain the idea to be RP-friendly.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Aya - 06-08-2015

I would imagine you start asking people to call you something different Smile

The legal matter may be entirely separate.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - allgivenover - 06-08-2015

It's not like Eorzea has a social security registration system. Most people can't read or write, so as a consequence most people are not that great at keeping records.

Otto just starts introducing himself as Nunh and deals with the raised eyebrows. He'll probably have to inform all of his business contacts with some document, but I doubt there's any administration that handles names.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Dogberry - 06-08-2015

Screw the rules, Otto has money!

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Hammersmith - 06-08-2015

Given how much the Hellsguard DGAF about names, and change them easily on heading Out, I don't think it matters unless you have some pre-existing legallity that requires your name involved.

Though it's kind of like giving yourself a nickname.  Without a reason for it it's kinda weird.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Lilia Lia - 06-08-2015

But wouldn't that affect the recognition of the "Otto Vann" brand?  I was just telling Fiona the other day how you have the perfect fashion designer name.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Gegenji - 06-08-2015

It should be his nickname. The mighty Otto "Nunh" Vann. Then you don't even have to worry about legal name changes. Unless you want it to be his middle name or something, so it's actually Otto Nunh Vann.

... Or Otto Vann Nunh.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - OttoVann - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 03:53 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote: But wouldn't that affect the recognition of the "Otto Vann" brand?  I was just telling Fiona the other day how you have the perfect fashion designer name.

Oh fuck

Threads over boys.

(Tell me more of your logic Lilia)

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Lilia Lia - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 03:58 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 03:53 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote: But wouldn't that affect the recognition of the "Otto Vann" brand?  I was just telling Fiona the other day how you have the perfect fashion designer name.

Oh fuck

Threads over boys.

Oh, just that one thing.  It just has that perfect fashion designer sound.

"That's a beautiful lab coat."  "Thanks! It's an Otto Vann."

I assumed you did this on purpose?

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - OttoVann - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 04:07 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 03:58 PM)OttoVann Wrote:

Oh fuck

Threads over boys.

Oh, just that one thing.  It just has that perfect fashion designer sound.

"That's a beautiful lab coat."  "Thanks! It's an Otto Vann."

I assumed you did this on purpose?

I chose the name Otto Vann back in P3/P4 Beta because I had lived in Germany fur drei jahren due to my wifes mililtary career. Otto Vann being a RP - Player Character is recent. Just dumb luck on my part. Happy accident his name is sexy for crafting

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Seriphyn - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 03:01 PM)allgivenover Wrote: It's not like Eorzea has a social security registration system. Most people can't read or write, so as a consequence most people are not that great at keeping records.

Otto just starts introducing himself as Nunh and deals with the raised eyebrows. He'll probably have to inform all of his business contacts with some document, but I doubt there's any administration that handles names.

Yes. A lot of the stuff we take for granted in the contemporary world did not exist back then, that being a permanent bureaucracy. We might expect a place like Garlemald to have it, but as for the other countries, I doubt there is anything of the sort.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Rhianna - 06-09-2015

(06-08-2015, 04:49 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 03:01 PM)allgivenover Wrote: It's not like Eorzea has a social security registration system. Most people can't read or write, so as a consequence most people are not that great at keeping records.

Yes. A lot of the stuff we take for granted in the contemporary world did not exist back then, that being a permanent bureaucracy. We might expect a place like Garlemald to have it, but as for the other countries, I doubt there is anything of the sort.
For RP purposes I've assumed there's a city-hall type of place, at least in Ul'dah, where taxes are collected and licenses are handed out and all that. They seem the type to also enjoy a little bureaucracy and making money. It's the perfect place for bribes, too!

Limsa has the Arcanist's guild where merchant and I'd assume tax records on said goods is kept.

RE: How would a Hyur name-change legally? - Hyakki - 06-11-2015

Nunh is a title for breeding males so you've got me wondering... has Otto decided its time to become a family man?

By giving up your old name, you're missing a golden opportunity to call your children mini-vanns.