Hydaelyn Role-Players
Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=11983)

Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Yunas13 - 06-09-2015

Hi guys!Big Grin

I would like to run something by you and wanted to see if it is possible for this sort of profession to exist in the game or world of FFXIV.

For my story, I didn't want my main to just be an ordinary botanist/carpenter/etc, but a horse breeder/racer/trainer. I know we have horse mounts (regular ones, not the elemental versions) that are obtainable from doing PvP wins achievement for each GC. Horses/horseracing has been a passion of mine for a lot longer than anime/gaming and I wondered maybe the reason I'm struggling in my writing is that I'm not starting with something I know.

So the question is, is it POSSIBLE for my main, Serena Jackson, to be a horse breeder/racer/trainer in the world of Eorzea? She could be the one that all the commanders of the GC's come to to have her train their horses for combat in the PvP areas or for inexperience horse riders who are used to chocobos and not horses to learn how to ride one?

Another IDEA, that I am playing with is that maybe the elemental horses (I plan to get at least the water/fire ones) could be summons like the egis in the game. They are part of the Primals too, if I am reading the descriptions correctly. I really like the idea and I honestly think it will work.

What do you all think?!

Thanks again!ChocoboSmile

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Nadine Marteau - 06-09-2015

Well chocobo breeding and racing is quite a valid past-time. Horses aren't nearly as central to Eorzea as the chocobo. Of course, all female chocobo are kept in Ishgard such that they could have a monopoly on breeding. No problem, of course, if your character is Ishgardian.

Racing, however, seems to be becoming quite popular in Eorzea since Godbert Manderville opened the Gold Saucer.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Seye Qhesu - 06-09-2015

(06-09-2015, 12:47 PM)Nadine Marteau Wrote: Well chocobo breeding and racing is quite a valid past-time. Horses aren't nearly as central to Eorzea as the chocobo. Of course, all female chocoholics are kept in Ishgard such that they could have a monopoly on breeding. No problem, of course, if your character is Ishgardian.

Racing, however, seems to be becoming quite popular in Eorzea since Godbert Manderville opened the Gold Saucer.
I would definitely go with a Chocobo breeder. I have YET to see one of those RP'd out ingame.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - shotgunbadger - 06-09-2015

Yea Chocobo breeder is the way to go. Horses are super rare and usually mythical beasts (unicorns, elemental stuff) more than just 'a horse'. The only qualifier you need to play a Chocobo breeder is Ishgardian alignment.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Mae - 06-09-2015

If the 2014 Near Year's event would be considered canon (not everyone considers the holiday events to be canon because of how SE counts time), one of the reasons we don't have horses in Eorzea is because the Elementals have forbidden them from the Shroud. To the point where in one dialogue, it was hinted (my interpretation, at least ) that bringing a horse there could get someone some measure of Greenwrath. 

Beyond that, though, horses just aren't native to Eorzea. The GC ones from PvP were 'purchased from the Far East' (from the same NPC that was introduced in the New Year's event, it seems), so even those are foreign bred, born, and raised.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Martiallais - 06-09-2015

Martiallais has run into two different RP'ers who say they're skilled chocobo racers, so I'd say it's definitely a thing. Same with a breeder as well I'd imagine. I want to say there was mention of it (breeding) in some quests in the Shroud but I can't remember exactly.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Mae - 06-09-2015

(06-09-2015, 03:57 PM)Zarek Wrote: I want to say there was mention of it (breeding) in some quests in the Shroud but I can't remember exactly.
Low-level MSQ in Gridania, yeah. The point where you go to Bentbranch Meadows, there's a plot revolving around the stables.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - EkheiBalduin - 06-09-2015

If you speak to ... I think it's Kenthy ... at the Bentbranch Ranch, she'll clearly state that the majority of Chocobos fled south into the Shroud during the sudden weather change in the Ishgard/Coerthas regions (read Calamity). As such, Ishgard no longer held sway over the Chocobo trade as most of their birds came into the hands of the good folk of the Shroud.

And even with the addition of Chocobo racing ... all the initial birds come straight from Bentbranch, where they are bred and raised.

That all being said. I don't see why you couldn't be a horse breeder/trainer/racer. Or mayhaps ... an aspiring one? That would be easier, as you could try to build up connections to start your own ranch for just horses.

Chocobo breeder would not be a bad choice if you went that way as well. I happen to know at least one person who does RP one. I, myself, RP as a Chocobo Inspector.

In finality, I think it comes down to how you want your character to grow. Horse breeder/trainer/racer would be the toughest route, but entirely passable with some creativity.

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Aris - 06-09-2015

Definitely possible!

I think it would be quite restricted when roleplaying with others, though? Firstly, very few people have the PvP horse mount, so if you planned on teaching them to ride a horse or something it would be quite difficult to find people who could particpate. I also don't know anyone who RPs PvP directly. So while your character could be a Grand Company horse trainer, it would be a little limited when interacting with others aside from Serena talking about it, if that makes sense Blush Or at least - I can't think of anything, but I imagine you have many more ideas than I! BAn interesting idea and I'd love to see where it could go Smile

As far as the elemental horses go, that would be a much more difficult route to take. From my understanding they definitely aren't an egi, they are Nightmares, sacrificed from the beast tribes to their respective Primal, except Shiva's mount, which was a sacrificed Unicorn from her followers. If you decided to portray them as egis, it would require your character to be a Summoner. Hopefully someone could come and shed some light on Summoner lore, as I've read a few different interpretations and don't know right from wrong. Tongue

It would be received quite subjectively: some would roll with it, others who are more strict when it comes to lore may not be so fond of the idea.

Personally, I do second the idea that you go in the Chocobo Trainer direction. Your horse training/racing knowledge could easily be applied to chocobos, with a few tweaks. Chocobos are the Eorzean version of horses, and everyone could join in with it as OOCly we all have a Chocobo mount. Smile

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 06-09-2015

(06-09-2015, 06:52 PM)Aris Wrote: Hopefully someone could come and shed some light on Summoner lore, as I've read a few different interpretations and don't know right from wrong. Tongue

Show Content

As for horse breeding, I don't see why you couldn't. Perhaps your character was a former/current Chocobo breeder who is assisting the Grand Companies with breeding an Eorzean Horse, since the military seems to have some amount of favor towards them.

Warsteed Wrote:After witnessing dazzling demonstrations of how a warsteed might turn the tide of battle, the Grand Companies of Eorzea emptied their coffers at the feet of the Far Eastern uma bugyo, each seeking to put themselves at an advantage during Frontline campaigns.

Why pay Far Easterners when Eorzean breeders may successfully be able to breed their own now? Could be a fun thing to play with. Or, as others suggested, be a Chocobo Breeder/Trainer! For a long time, chocobo breeding was limited to only the most prestigious of Ishgardian stock, however, since the Calamity, chocobo ranches have begun sprouting up in Gridania as well.

Keitha Wrote:Yes, what with the fine flock we've been raisin', people have finally come to accept and appreciate Gridania-bred birds.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Yunas13 - 06-09-2015

thank you for the ideas on both horse breeder, chocobo breeder, and the summoner topics. 

I started to think about how one poster mentioned that they were bought from the Far East, maybe the rich who bought these horses started to have them bred after so much service in the GC and that is how Serena becomes a trainer/breeder.

The summoner idea just comes from thinking of FFX and of the thunder summon, Ixion, who was a thunder unicorn. I apologize for using the word egis as I was just trying to use a word that was associated with the arcanist/summoner class. I wouldn't think of them as egis but of some sort different type of summoning. What I've gathered so far from playing is that arcanist/summoners/scholars are very interested in learning on how to do battle or work with the elements they command. (Fire, Wind, and Earth) I just thought for fun to make Serena different is to have them come in a different shape. Smile

I wish these were RP ideas but they are more writing ideas as I'm not on a server that isn't RP oriented. I needed an outlet to be able to see my character grow from the adventure she is doing in-game, so I'm doing my own fanfiction for FFXIV.

I've been working on this story for months (Since I came back in Feb.) and keep having each beginning I come up with change and can't seem to keep one idea down for long. It is a pain and wish I knew of a way to stop my brain from changing direction every few days. T.T

RE: Horse racing/breeding in Eorzea? - Aris - 06-12-2015

No need to apologise at all! You have some really awesome ideas, and I'd love to see what you come up with. Smile Would she work with all the GCs or just one?
I wish we were on the same server, Serena sounds like she's a very interesting character that's for sure.

& Yes, I know completely how you feel haha. A few months ago I was inspired by a completely different character and now my brain is going in another direction. Tongue