Hydaelyn Role-Players
Long time lurker, first time poster. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Long time lurker, first time poster. (/showthread.php?tid=12028)

Pages: 1 2

Long time lurker, first time poster. - monored - 06-11-2015

Hello, Salutations, Aloha, (insert greeting of choice here)!

Obviously, I'm new here.  I've owned FF:XIV since the AAR release, but only just now really been able to play it due to varying reasons.  So, I'm just starting to enjoy the game, been playing it for about a week now and want to do something more just because FF is always so rich in story, RP!

Everything I've read online has drove me to here.  So I decided I might as well make an account and say hello while I go about the arduous task of trying to get a new character on Balmung (this weekend hopefully I can get in) since everything I've read has told me it is the RP server (unless I've been led astray).  No real idea of just exactly what I'm going to do with my character in the game, but that's most of the fun, right? I do have MMO experience, mostly with Eve Online and even some RP experience there as well...but not much else.  Anyways, I look forward to moving forward and talking/playing with you all.

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Aya - 06-11-2015

Yay! Good luck getting on to Balmung! Just in time for the excitement of the expansion :-]

RP certainly adds another element to enjoyment of the game!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - monored - 06-11-2015

(06-11-2015, 05:08 PM)Aya Wrote: Yay! Good luck getting on to Balmung! Just in time for the excitement of the expansion :-]

RP certainly adds another element to enjoyment of the game!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm certainly a long way from being ready for the expansion, but all in due time I guess.

Any tips for someone starting out as...well where to start, good RP guides, etc. etc. that I wouldn't be able to easily find either here or through Google?

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Aya - 06-11-2015

Look for people here, check out LSes, and FCs and see if any are to your liking.

Hang around RP hot spots in game, the Quick Sand, or whatnot.  Look for posted events to attend!

There's probably a bit of an RP lull right now as people ready for the expansion, but if you stick around as we head into Heavensward you should find opportunities!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Faye - 06-11-2015

Hey there, welcome! Good luck making it onto Balmung!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - monored - 06-12-2015

(06-11-2015, 06:38 PM)Faye Wrote: Hey there, welcome! Good luck making it onto Balmung!

Thank you! Managed to sneak (at least my 1st character) in this morning at around 10:00GMT, now the real work begins Chocobo

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Mountie - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 08:56 AM)monored Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 06:38 PM)Faye Wrote: Hey there, welcome! Good luck making it onto Balmung!

Thank you! Managed to sneak (at least my 1st character) in this morning at around 10:00GMT, now the real work begins Chocobo
Well the hard part is already behind you! Be sure to take your time leveling, as there is certainly no rush. I know I know, HW, but you know what, people are going to rush through and be left with nothing to do once more in good time. And you'll still have this glorious experience unfolding in front of you! So stop and do some fishing, visit the Quicksand, visit some less popular RP spots, and just have fun. It is a game, not a race!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Bexy - 06-12-2015

Greetings, and welcome! Hope to see you about, and if you need help with anything, just hit me up (Or just about anyone, really) And i'm quite happy to lend a hand!

Have fun~!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - monored - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 11:24 AM)Bexy Wrote: Greetings, and welcome! Hope to see you about, and if you need help with anything, just hit me up (Or just about anyone, really) And i'm quite happy to lend a hand!

Have fun~!

Thanks! One day, I'll figure out if there is even a friends-list type feature, how to use it, and all of those other joys Tongue But in the mean time, I was thrilled to see some people RPing in Quicksand as I ran past doing all of the early quests Big Grin

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Phoenix - 06-13-2015

Hey there! Figured I'd drop a welcome in, from one newcomer to another!

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Nebbs - 06-13-2015

Welcome

A good reference to round out any view on RP is [The Role-Play Handbook] a great resource.

As others have mentioned, check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you.

Fell free to come join us in [Hugs & Cakes Link Shell] where there is a nice positive bunch of RPers from beginners, veterans, shy folks and helpful folks.

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - monored - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 07:33 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Welcome

A good reference to round out any view on RP is [The Role-Play Handbook] a great resource.

As others have mentioned, check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you.

Fell free to come join us in [Hugs & Cakes Link Shell] where there is a nice positive bunch of RPers from beginners, veterans, shy folks and helpful folks.

I've been picking away at the RP Handbook. I've done some RP before in other settings, so a lot of it is a bit of review (which is always good), any suggestions as to some FFXIV specific advice?

Oh and you sent me an invite to Hugs & Cakes last night Big Grin And a related question, are the invites only server/character specific, or if I make a second character on the same server will they already be in the LS, or do I need to get another one for each character?

(06-13-2015, 01:15 AM)Phoenix Wrote: Hey there! Figured I'd drop a welcome in, from one newcomer to another!

Welcome to you as well! We need to get together and do some newbee-folly adventures. I'm thinking of starting up a journal/diary going from day 1 (most likely starting next week), any interest in getting involved?

RE: Long time lurker, first time poster. - Nebbs - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 09:03 AM)monored Wrote: I've been picking away at the RP Handbook.  I've done some RP before in other settings, so a lot of it is a bit of review (which is always good), any suggestions as to some FFXIV specific advice?

Oh and you sent me an invite to Hugs & Cakes last night Big Grin  And a related question, are the invites only server/character specific, or if I make a second character on the same server will they already be in the LS, or do I need to get another one for each character?

FFXIV - not really I suppose the things that occur to me that are different
  • Very much the game-play is single character multi-class as opposed to single class multi-character
  • Shout & Yell are area wide, so use /say and /em to RP with
  • Use <t>, <f>, <tt> to put in the names of target/focus/targets-target into text.. useful when you can't spell names (like meSmile)
My mind is a bit shot from yesterdays RP/wedding .. still catching up.. welcome to the LS Smile

LS membership is by character, so if you made another they would need to join separately. We have another LS for alts as the main one is now full, you are free to join that.

(06-13-2015, 10:10 AM)Nebbs Wrote:
  • Very much the game-play is single character multi-class as opposed to single class multi-character

This bit that seems so small, is going to be so hard for me to get use to Frustrated