Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=12043)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Terra - 06-13-2015

I just saw this thread on the official forums and it's stuff like this that makes Balmung a bit intimidating... 
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/236402-Roleplaying-Etiquette-Waitress-on-the-First-Day-at-the-Quicksand.?p=2998894&viewfull=1#post2998894

What should you be doing, what shouldn't you do? Should you just avoid the Quicksand entirely? 

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-13-2015

Be nice, be patient, and realize that everyone is playing by a different set of rules.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Fox - 06-13-2015

RP there if you want, enough said. But be polite, as Natalie said. I can't stress this enough. That doesn't mean your character can't be a jackass. I've rped a crab-ass kitty before, but oocly just be respectful of others.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Flashhelix - 06-13-2015

Wow.

Uh...

Well, after reading that thread, I realize that the person the player is talking about (in the second post onward, who called her character crazy) is, well, me.

The gist of it is that I was sitting at an empty table in the Quicksand, not much RP going on, when this person approached me and started doing waitress RP at me. Completely fine, nothing wrong with waitress RP, so Oskwell orders a few drinks and it's all fine, but I notice that each time she leaves a table, she goes and emotes talking to various NPCs, but not actually emoting what they say to her (so it just looks like a one-sided conversation.) A kinda-strange way to approach roleplaying with NPCs, but I don't take it OOC, of course. This is where it gets weird, though.

Quote:The other piece of rudeness pertains to a patron who I had taken an order of drinks from and served. Now this guy just wanted to know what was I getting from playing the waitress at the Quicksand, interacting with non-playing characters and just adding to the fantasy of the place. Well, to answer him here, I do not get anything other than feeling like I'm making the piece of fantasy more believable to others. So when this "patron" calls my waitress over to the table to place a food order and adds, in character, "I'm just trying to find out what your angle is here and why you are speaking to the gentleman with the turban over there." (Why are you adding to the fantasy of my game, godsdammit?),

I don't know where this person got the idea I was OOCly or ICly questioning why they played a waitress, Oskwell hadn't said anything to her (before the Echo stuff, I'll explain that further in the post) other than idle small-talk and food/drink orders.

Quote:Well, my character was reporting to the man on the turban (an NPC) about the comings and goings of this patron at the Quicksand to further the fantasy that this waitress was an undercover member of some secret organization somewhat associated with the Scions and/or their enemies. She seems shocked when confronted (shouldn't have happened as she had been WHISPERING to the man in the turban out of earshot), but blames it on the power of The Echo which the annoyed patron seems to possess granting him the ability to learn secrets. At this point, the patron behaves as though my waitress character is crazy and that he doesn't know what 'The Echo' is.

The bolded part here is what I take issue with. Oskwell pretty clearly was watching her serve the tables, and saw her whisper to the man in the turban each time she left his, it was a purely IC thing, and in fact I was trying to give this person some support by maybe acknowledging their constant emoting at various NPCs in the room as well. Though the person at least is being truthful about what happened IC. After Oskwell confronts the waitress for behavior he feels is pretty shady, she claims that he possesses the Echo. Oskwell tries to explain to her that he looked right at her while she was whispering to the NPC, but she insists that he's got the Echo, so Oskwell decides it's a good time to bail and offhandedly mutters something about crazy Quicksand people on his way out.

Quote:Just seems like calling people 'crazy' in roleplay is one of the cheapest, laziest ways to roleplay. Why, I could have called the patron 'crazy' for thinking I spoke with the man with the turban (eventhough I plainly did). We can all call each other 'crazy' for roleplaying in the first place, right? But just because you don't understand that there are selfless people out there who will roleplay a lowly character doing menial things such as wiping tables just to add fantasy to your world doesn't mean you should go there and call them 'crazy' because you simply can't wrap your head around such selflessness...

This is the part of their rant I just can't wrap my head around. Does this person not realize that OOC and IC are different things? Their logic for why Oskwell thought their character was crazy I just don't understand, how's it lazy? How's it cheap? Did this person think I was insulting their roleplay when my character called theirs crazy? Really, this whole rant strikes me as this person not being able to distinguish between IC and OOC, which I can at least partially forgive because they seem new to roleplay, I guess.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Warren Castille - 06-13-2015

I'm sleepy and grouchy. Bear with me.

Emotes at someone, is told (I'm OOC) and then proceeds to treat the person as if they were anyway.

Quote: My character stays IC, and goes over to the Quicksand's counter and blames the patrons' behavior on alcohol.

Coming from someone who has done majority of his non-event roleplay in the Quicksand, I'm fairly confident in saying this is a PEBKAC issue and not an RP one.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Flashhelix - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 01:28 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm sleepy and grouchy. Bear with me.

Emotes at someone, is told (I'm OOC) and then proceeds to treat the person as if they were anyway.

Quote: My character stays IC, and goes over to the Quicksand's counter and blames the patrons' behavior on alcohol.

Coming from someone who has done majority of his non-event roleplay in the Quicksand, I'm fairly confident in saying this is a PEBKAC issue and not an RP one.

This too.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Seye Qhesu - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 01:31 AM)Flashhelix Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 01:28 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm sleepy and grouchy. Bear with me.

This too.
*pats* I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that thread and felt like something was off. I'm glad you were able to tell your side of the story. I also hate when people think saying their toon is crazy icly with your own means that you instantly hate that person and think their RP is stupid. :/

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Ryanti - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 01:41 AM)Flower Wrote: *pats* I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that thread and felt like something was off.

Nope, you certainly aren't. Shows the value of knowing all the sides of the story. What kind of bothers me is that there's a damn good chance some newbie to RP looking at Balmung or whatnot is gonna come across her thread and change their mind about coming here.

But really, though. It took multiple posts to even get a response from someone else. So let them live in their own world I guess. At least that person isn't naming everyone.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Kasumi Gakunin - 06-13-2015

It sounds like the poster in question needs to get better acquainted with rp in ffxiv and how it works. Clearly they aren't aware that most characters don't actually have the Echo when it comes to rp. I mean I'm not saying someone can't have their character have it but I don't see how Oskwell, a lancer from Ishgard, would be aware of what the echo is. It seems pretty reasonable to me for a character to assume another character is crazy when they start discussing the echo ect. Maybe someone could send them a heads up and inform them about the rpc and role playing in ffxiv and what's reasonable knowledge for characters to know?

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Faye - 06-13-2015

You should be polite. You shouldn't be a butt. There's absolutely not reason to avoid the Quicksand aside from personal preference. I'm not sure what else there is to add, other than this: Balmung is full of friendly and helpful people. Unfortunately, it's the few nasty ones you hear about. After all, people usually don't post online to share their positive day-to-day experiences, they post to vent about that really nasty jerk they met in the Quicksand today.

But as this very thread turned out to be an example of, there are two sides to every story. Just because you hear a complaint about something doesn't mean it's entirely true. And chances are, if someone has only negative things to say about the people and places around them, they are likely the problem, not everyone/everything else.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Azureus Scipio - 06-13-2015

I think I can safely ask this but... Is the Quicksand pretty much the 'Goldshire' of Eorzea? in terms of RP?

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Faye - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 02:27 AM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: I think I can safely ask this but... Is the Quicksand pretty much the 'Goldshire' of Eorzea? in terms of RP?

Not at all.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Fox - 06-13-2015

As for the actual thread that was linked, I skimmed it, thought it was odd and didn't heavily read into it to be honest things didn't make sense. Which is why I didn't comment on the thread in my first post. But to see both stories now, it makes a lot more sense of what was going on.

(06-13-2015, 02:27 AM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: I think I can safely ask this but... Is the Quicksand pretty much the 'Goldshire' of Eorzea? in terms of RP?

Nope, as Faye said it isn't.
I've not once ran into "Goldshire" behaviors Quicksand. Outside of it, yes.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - Seye Qhesu - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 02:29 AM)Faye Wrote:

Not at all.
This.

While you will run in to the occasional level 1 alt with ERP/FUTA in their tag line they actually do not seem to bother people who are there rping on a normal basis. People often go to the quicksand to watch rp because there can be some entertaining things to read that were said by characters. Others find it as a way to just sit back and enjoy a good book or get ideas for their own events/characters.

RE: Roleplaying etiquette for open world on Balmung - ArmachiA - 06-13-2015

I honestly don't think there is a Goldshire equivalent in this game, which is nice it hasn't devolved that way.