Hydaelyn Role-Players
What age is adulthood for all the races? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What age is adulthood for all the races? (/showthread.php?tid=12044)

Pages: 1 2

What age is adulthood for all the races? - DuRain - 06-13-2015

I'm having trouble finding much information on this. Is there even a consensus? I've heard Elezen are longer lived, would that push back their age of maturity? What about Lalafell, who always look like children?

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Whittledown - 06-13-2015

There's nothing official. Without that though 18 is always a good bet.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - ChewableMorphine - 06-13-2015

Alright, I'll bite.

Hyur: 18

Miqo'te: 15-16

Roegadyn: 21

Elezen: 24

Lalafell: 19

Padjal: ~35

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Vali - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 05:37 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Alright, I'll bite.

this seems fairly accurate

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Azureus Scipio - 06-13-2015

Bear in mind this is a Japanese made game, we should go of the legal ages in japan as oppose to the west...

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Sounsyy - 06-13-2015

All races, except the Elezen live normal lifespans comparable to real world humans. Elezen live slightly extended lives with prolonged childhood and puberty as a result, according to Fernehalwes at the Las Vegas Fan Fest. He did not, however, give specific numbers.

As for Padjal, they are born Hyur or Elezen and stop maturing physically when they reach puberty. They will look like children the rest of their lives. The length of the Padjal's horns is their only indicator of age. The only reason Kan-E looks older is because she's altered her appearance so the leaders of other nations take her seriously. Kan-E is in her early twenties.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Blue - 06-13-2015

We should probably also consider the age this universe is set on. Ancient civilizations aside, I'd place Eorzea somewhere in the 1400 a.C. I'd consider adulthood to be in the twenties.

We REALLY shouldn't go by the Japanese modern age of consent, because not everyone here is okay with seeing 14yo characters get physical or sexually active.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - ArmachiA - 06-13-2015

14 is legal in Japan but in Tokyo it's 16 (Which is generally more accepted). But that's only consent guys and not what they consider adulthood, in Japanese Tradition they don't beleive you hit adulthood till 20. For girls, there's even a ceremony and you can drink and smoke at 20. As of right now so is the right to vote, but that's getting lowered to 18.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - allgivenover - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 05:49 PM)Valirelia Ferox Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 05:37 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Alright, I'll bite.

this seems fairly accurate

Not sure how it can seem accurate when it's based on nothing.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Leanne - 06-13-2015

I think Miqo'te adulthood vary from tribe to tribe and gender, or in case of city raised, by the standards of that city.

For example, in one tribe, you might be considered an adult the moment you successfully perform your first hunt. In another tribe, a female will be considered an adult the moment they're fertile.

We honestly have nothing to go on really, we are not even actually given any of the character's age at all, except for Nanamo (and that one had to be deduced, it wasn't outright stated).

My own personal way of looking at it:

As a non-modern society I think "adulthood" in Eorzea is likely to be loose at best. Historically, sexually mature people were never considered children, in fact the concept of being a "teenager" is a relatively modern development in our human history.

Having said that, puberty hit much later in the pre-modern world than it did now. It didn't start to slide back to where it is now until the 1850s. Obviously it's hard to place Eorzea in a time that's analogous to Earth history, but considering there's still an absence of an industrial revolution and that most people can't read yet I'd wager it to be somewhat similar.

In my own head cannon adulthood in Eorzea is whenever menarche starts up, which in the old world (pre 1840 Earth) was anywhere from 15-18 depending on where you were.

It's a bit harder to place for boys. Since there's more variation there when they start. I didn't have any facial hair until I was halfway through 20 years of age, some boys I knew in middle school were sporting scruff.

I do wish we had some ages to go off of, but in their absence I just stick to the real world counterparts. It's not that important anyway.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Gone. - 06-13-2015

Eorzea is a modern civilization, though; there's plumbing, some form of centralized power likely via aether manipulation (because let's be honest, I sincerely doubt the likes of Ul'dah has a candle maiden relighting the city in the wee hours of the morning), all forms of various mechanical contraptions from fold-out composite longbows to massive airships and that's without even stepping into magitek territory.

Bottom line: fantasy does not necessarily mean 'dark ages'. If we want to talk a subject like age of consent, it has to be done from a more recent perspective. Sixteen would be the figure I'd go with as it's a fairly reasonable average imo. It's bound to vary from person-to-person, though, simply due to the vast array of cultural backgrounds the player based is formed from.

(06-13-2015, 06:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: As for Padjal, they are born Hyur or Elezen and stop maturing physically when they reach puberty. They will look like children the rest of their lives. The length of the Padjal's horns is their only indicator of age. The only reason Kan-E looks older is because she's altered her appearance so the leaders of other nations take her seriously. Kan-E is in her early twenties.

Where on Earth did this information come from? O_o To my understanding the age at which Padjal cease to physically age varies from child to child, hence why we have the older Kan-E-Senna versus, say, her younger siblings.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Kage - 06-13-2015

If I remember correctly it was at Las Vegas. At the lore panel or associated interview.

(06-13-2015, 08:27 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: Eorzea is a modern civilization, though; there's plumbing, some form of centralized power likely via aether manipulation (because let's be honest, I sincerely doubt the likes of Ul'dah has a candle maiden relighting the city in the wee hours of the morning), all forms of various mechanical contraptions from fold-out composite longbows to massive airships and that's without even stepping into magitek territory.

Bottom line: fantasy does not necessarily mean 'dark ages'. If we want to talk a subject like age of consent, it has to be done from a more recent perspective. Sixteen would be the figure I'd go with as it's a fairly reasonable average imo. It's bound to vary from person-to-person, though, simply due to the vast array of cultural backgrounds the player based is formed from.

(06-13-2015, 06:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: As for Padjal, they are born Hyur or Elezen and stop maturing physically when they reach puberty. They will look like children the rest of their lives. The length of the Padjal's horns is their only indicator of age. The only reason Kan-E looks older is because she's altered her appearance so the leaders of other nations take her seriously. Kan-E is in her early twenties.

Where on Earth did this information come from? O_o To my understanding the age at which Padjal cease to physically age varies from child to child, hence why we have the older Kan-E-Senna versus, say, her younger siblings.

Those few innovations in the city states are not ubiquitous throughout the setting. Additionally I'd like to see some proof about aether manipulation giving citizens electricity.

Lighting lamps for the nighttime is a low level quest in Limsa Lominsa, so yes it's entirely plausible that Ul'dah has people who light the lamps every single night. That's how we did it in the real world before electricity came about.

Eorzea has mechanical marvels, but it is not a modern minded world like ours. Very far from it. If you disagree, fine. We don't have to acknowledge each other's interpretation of the setting.

(06-13-2015, 08:34 PM)Kage Wrote: If I remember correctly it was at Las Vegas. At the lore panel or associated interview.

This is also where I recall it from.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - FreelanceWizard - 06-13-2015

Funny enough, one of the intro quests in Limsa Lominsa has you refueling the street lamps with oil. So, at least there, the lamps are oil powered and have their own oil stores. Presumably, someone goes to light them at night and we simply don't see it in game. I don't recall if they specify the type of oil that's used in the quest item description.

Conversely, we know that at least some lighthouses are powered through aetheric means. That's part of the whole problem with Pharos Sirius, and you actually have turn off the aether valves in the upper floors. It would appear that aetheric power, at least as used by Limsa Lominsa for that purpose, requires considerable machinery. However, IIRC, Pharos Sirius is actually extracting aether from the land, rather than using crystals.

Given that we also know that most of Eorzea is illiterate per Fernehalwes and that the average lifespan is pretty short because of how dangerous things are, I think it's safe to say Eorzea is a fairly medieval society in a lot of ways. Sure, it has some fairly progressive views (for instance, on sexuality) and magical conveniences (particularly with and for adventurers), but I think it's best viewed as a non-modern setting.