Hydaelyn Role-Players
Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore (/showthread.php?tid=12197)

Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - C'io Behkt - 06-22-2015

FFXIV lore for the the Au Ra Xaela sub-race is a beautiful gift of diversity and flavour that implicitly informs you about the Xaela as a whole by explicitly telling you about the Xaela as a disparate array of tribes complete with different traditions and beliefs. If you haven't seen the short write-ups on the 51 Tribes of the Xaela, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, that got me thinking, if such a list existed for the 26+ Tribes of the Seekers, what would it potentially look like? That's what I want to find out now; this will NOT be an effort to create a list, because I know everyone has different interpretations, but it will be an effort to discover out what you think would fit (outside of the usually discussed traditions) on such a list based on your characters, observations, and role-play.

So here is the format:
  • Keep it short, like the Xaela Tribes' descriptions are. No essays, just snippets. 70 words maximum.
  • Place the focus on the quirk or tradition.
  • Have fun with it!

And if you've forgotten the Miqo'te Seeker tribes, here is the list together with the nice disclaimer SE placed at the end of the Xaela list:

The tribe names are originally based on traditional beastkin, scalekin, or cloudkin totems, which are said to protect the tribe.

A: Antelope (pronunciation: short Ah)
B: Boar (short Bee)
C: Coeurl (short Ka)
D: Dodo (short Deh)
E: Eft (short Eh)
F: Bear (short F)
G: Gryphon (short, hard Goo)
H: Gigantoad (short Hah)
I: Buffalo (short Ee)
J: Jackal (short Jah)
K: Hipparion (short Koo)
L: Viper (short Lee)
M: Marmot (short Meh)
N: Aldgoat (short N)
O: Mole (short Oh)
P: Basilisk (short Peh)
Q: Puk (short Key)
R: Raptor (short Ruh)
S: Zu (short Soo)
T: Condor (short Tuh)
U: Drake (Ooh)
V: Vulture (short Vah)
W: Wolf (whort Wah)
X: Lynx (short She)
Y: Jaguar (short Yah)
Z: Ziz (short Zoh)

Paraphrased from Xaela disclaimer:
The world Eorzea occupies is vast; therefore, every so often, one may come across a Seeker with a totem that is not found on the list of 26. This may mean that they are from a clan that was recently split off or dislocated during the diaspora from Meracydia*. It may mean that they are of a new tribe that was formed by members leaving another. It may mean they are of a tribe that remained hidden from civilisation.

*From Sounssy's random facts: It is believed the Miqo'te first came to Eorzea during the Fifth Umbral Era, fleeing their ravaged homeland on the southern continent of Meracydia.

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - C'io Behkt - 06-22-2015

Here is something to encapsulate my wonder at finding coeurl mobs in very strange places, such as Coil, and how that might affect those who keep the coeurl as a totem:

"The Coeurl Tribe revere the lightning and choose their hunting grounds based on the frequency of storms in an area, which accounts for why tribes with this totem can be found in the Sagolii, on La Noscea, and even in the Sea of Clouds and Allaghan ruins. Those who are struck by lightning and survive are celebrated and chosen to undergo spirit quests for the good of the tribe."

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Sin - 06-22-2015

Cool idea! Here's some fan-made headcanon lore for the Boar tribe that I made up for my own character that might appear on a list like this.

"The Boar Tribe has a peculiar disinterest and dislike for the short bow thinking it the weapon of cowards. Instead, they rely on spears fashioned from boar tusks with which they charge and thrust at game. While not often successful, they believe this to make them stronger and in so bring them closer to their totem. This practice, along with other self imposed handicaps, routinely culls the tribe down to a small, but fiercely strong and stubborn core."

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Rosamund - 06-22-2015

I based my fan lore for Inarah's Jackal tribe on jackals in our world.

"The Jackal Tribe in Outer La Noscea works together to take down prey and prefers to attack with light weapons, relying on speed of movement and cunning over raw strength. Being opportunistic scavengers, they have no qualms with stealing the kills of other tribes or animals, although they're fiercely territorial when it comes to their own turf and possessions. Whilst the Nunhs reproduce with any given female required, they have a close relationship with one female in particular (reminiscent of how jackals mate for life). The older children are expected to help raise the younger ones so the mother can quickly return to hunting."

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Snowscar - 06-22-2015

This is some fan lore I created for myself while working out how to RP my former Miqo'te main.

"The Lynx Tribe is one of the very few tribes who prefers to live in mountainous regions. Often pale furred, they blend in well with rocky terrain as they hunt yak, aldgoat and large birds. Villages consist of one Nuhn and a handful of females. Male offspring are exiled from the village after coming of age to prevent power struggles."

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - C'io Behkt - 06-23-2015

Ah, it is quite nice to see the tribes written out in full like that! Boar Tribe, Lynx Tribe, etc. And in fancy bold as well.

I particularly enjoy the part about spears (might they have their own Lancer philosophies, I wonder), the idea of the Jackals as unimpeded by pride in their scavenging, and the little details on Yak--- uh, Lynx diet!

Definitely looking to see more. Maybe the posters of the Tiger Tribe and the Shark Tribe would like to step in? What about the K's I see so much of?

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - D'aito Kuji - 06-23-2015

Here's my head canon...

The Dodo tribe fractured long ago, leading to substantial divergence between the denizens of temperate La Noscea and those that survive within the hottest and most barren areas of the Sagolii Desert.  Both tribes prefer to keep to themselves but the desert Dodo tribes are far more isolated and little is known about them other than they cover themselves from head to toe in loose, flowing fabrics to help repel the burning heat and light of the sun and are violently protective of their territories.  The Dodo of La Noscea are far more approachable, engaging in trade with merchants and routinely leaving their tribal lives for city life.  Less traditional than some tribes, the Dodo of La Noscea still retain their worship of Azeyma the Warden, but their bonding practices have started to mimic those of the Hyur, with interracial relationships compensating for the lack of breeding males.

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Snowscar - 06-25-2015

Was a slow day at work, so I decided to get productive in other ways and let my creative brainjuices flow.

These tribes are mostly designed to reference the animals as they are in the game.

"The Ziz Tribe is infamous for their foul smelling breath, caused by the consumption of various semi-rotten foods and herbs. Ziz warriors hunt using blowdarts coated in poison taken from the intestines of slain Ziz beasts. The Ziz are highly territorial and treat almost everyone as potentially hostile, even fellow Miqo'te."

"The Raptor Tribe is a highly reclusive tribe living only in warm and humid climes (mostly easter La Noscia and parts of The Black Shroud). They are highly agile warriors with rather incredible speed, whose only weapons are a set of claws fashioned from bones of slain animals. During hunting, they use a complex system of whistels and shrieks to cooperate with fellow hunters.."

"The Basilisk Tribe was considered extinct for more then 3 milennia. Thought to have been wiped out during the Sixth Umbral Calamity, only recently have scholars found partially petrified animals that indicate the Basilisk Tribe still exists. Thought to live in cavern systems near the Ishgardian border, the rituals and community of this tribe remains a mystery to many scholars."

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - K'nahli - 06-25-2015

I highlighted a particular line in red within your first post just in case anyone skims through and quickly tries to follow up with a post, haha. I hope that was okay ^^a   

And thank you for the topic!  *curious to see anything for Hipparion*

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - D'aito Kuji - 06-25-2015

D'oh!  I did mine wrong.  70 word limit.  I guess I'll divide them up into two descriptions. That kinda makes sense anyway.

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - M'isha - 07-02-2015

Redacted: lore mistakes! ><;

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Naunet - 07-02-2015

The Hipparion Tribe: The Hipparion of the Sagolii desert are a reclusive group, content to wander the sands with little regard for the rest of the world. Those who have been lucky enough to encounter them on friendly terms return with tales of Hipparion huntresses besting mighty sandworms with seeming ease, each glorious hunt undertaken only with the blessings of their Elders and Shaman. Their celebrations and ceremonies possess a dramatic flair in their Fire Dancers, Hipparion members who seem to effortlessly call flame to their ritual staffs and engage in complicated, dangerous, and beautiful displays.

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - Rahal - 07-03-2015

The Aldgoat Tribe of Thanalan place great reverence upon their totem animal the Aldgoat. It is thier belief that the Aldgoat posses considerable arcane power and incredible intellect. It is also believed that thier horns are used to balance spellbooks from which they use to cast. For this reason Aldgoat horns are highly prized, and used by tribal Shamans in thier casting Foci, and thier huntresses weapons.

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - C'io Behkt - 07-07-2015

(06-25-2015, 06:52 AM)Knahli Wrote: I highlighted a particular line in red within your first post just in case anyone skims through and quickly tries to follow up with a post, haha. I hope that was okay ^^a   

And thank you for the topic!  *curious to see anything for Hipparion*

No problem, Smile. Actually, I had come back to this thread and stared at that red line wondering if it was something I had done. Until I had come down to your comment, I had just assumed it had been, haha!

And it looks like someone posted a Hipparion, and an Aldgoat (goats! *w*) and Ziz and Raptor and and and!

I love reading these, even if some of you have totally broken the arbitrary word limit, haha. Don't be shy of repeats!

On the unlisted totems, such as Aldgoat and Basilisk, have they been appearing in your roleplaying circles? If so, I'd definitely like to hear more about them and their representatives!

RE: Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-style Lore - M'isha - 07-23-2015

OK now I know the lore better! : D

The Marmot Tribe is famed for their marked lack of battle prowess and their peaceful lifestyle which benefits from the trade and excess goods generated by the cities of Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa. Small in stature, with fluffy, bushy tails, they often choose their nunhs on the basis of their gathering or trading skill rather than success in the hunt.

(Also I have a simple and small RP wiki page for Marmot if anyone wants to use/modify it from back when I made M'isha's page. It's arbitrary and I tried to make it open as possible so please feel free to edit. : )

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Marmot_Tribe)