Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Server Problem - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Server Problem (/showthread.php?tid=12223)

The Server Problem - Hastur83 - 06-23-2015

Welp. I somehow missed my window for entering Balmung after the maintenance. Somehow. Despite standing by and checking constantly for the servers to come up. I've sniffed around a little, and it truly seems like Balmung and Gilgamesh are at their limits. Yet all I see is "Oh, come to Balmung, we have the best and most active RP Community!", which may well be true, but it doesn't matter if no one new can join. Simply put; we need a third unofficial RP server. There's no getting around it. When no one but the ones who pay can enter the RP community, it might as well not exist. What are people new to the RP community supposed to do? The RP servers are literally locked 24/7.

I think we need to have a discussion on where the third unofficial RP server is going to be. I don't like it, but Square won't improve the servers. They'll just continue to lock more people out. Are us newbies doomed to simply eat cake? "Too bad, so sad. Pay to transfer."? We need to find a solution to this problem that's equitable to everyone before it gets worse, and it WILL get worse as people continue to squeeze into the only two RP servers.

RE: The Server Problem - Fox - 06-23-2015

There have been discussions about this since 2.0. There are other servers that are listed like Siren, etc. I do not think there will be a listed "third server". The community is pretty split as it is. Topics like these always tend to get heated.

See: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15&filtertf_srvr=Other For linkshells and other servers that may currently house RP.

Also, servers are not locked 24/7. Usually it opens from 2am-6am PST. Right now we're dealing with expansion which is going to be difficult.

Edit: Just to add really quick; even if we said "Let's establish a 3rd server community!" the RPC is a very tiny sliver of what RP is out there. It's highly unlikely a 3rd server community will be anything beyond the RPC itself unless you're able to do some very heavy promotion for it, beyond the RPC. The RPC does not say "This is going to happen" for the server.

RE: The Server Problem - Qhora Bajihri - 06-23-2015

It's going to be extra extra rough for a few weeks, maybe even longer, as people on the server are going to be jumping at any off-peak open hours to create new characters and other new players are server transferring, making whatever open times there are that much tinier. I definitely sympathize.

I'm not sure how productive a third possible server conversation would be, but it's not a terrible idea on a small scale. I'd say if this post reaches anyone else in your situation, you should try and see if you can gather together somewhere particular for at least the near future. Something like "If you see this and are having a lot of trouble getting on Balmung, join our party here on <Wherever>!"

But as Foxberry says, most Balmung roleplayers are not actually on the RPC, so the concept isn't likely to benefit from a community-wide designation, even if anyone tried to "make it so".

RE: The Server Problem - Hastur83 - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 06:01 AM)Foxberry Wrote: There have been discussions about this since 2.0. There are other servers that are listed like Siren, etc. I do not think there will be a listed "third server". The community is pretty split as it is. Topics like these always tend to get heated.

See: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15&filtertf_srvr=Other For linkshells and other servers that may currently house RP.

Also, servers are not locked 24/7. Usually it opens from 2am-6am PST. Right now we're dealing with expansion which is going to be difficult.

Edit: Just to add really quick; even if we said "Let's establish a 3rd server community!" the RPC is a very tiny sliver of what RP is out there. It's highly unlikely a 3rd server community will be anything beyond the RPC itself unless you're able to do some very heavy promotion for it, beyond the RPC. The RPC does not say "This is going to happen" for the server.

Well, I don't want to cause any problems here, especially since I'm so new. But I really think it's in our best interest to designate a third server. Obviously, we can only hope for the best and promote as best as we can. Server communities are organic things and unless you're in charge of them it's hard to change things. As of now there is Balmung, Gilgamesh, and a bunch of us scattered across different servers in ragtag bands. The Liberation Army cannot fight the Scarlet Moon Empire without a base to unite in, but Toran Castle is full to bursting, and so is North Window Castle. 

How can you expect Jowy and Riou to seal the Beast Run if they can't even move an elbow without bumping into another person? Flik and Viktor are already sharing their rooms with seven other Stars.

No!

We must find Thomas and live in Budehuc Castle! It's super spacious! We'll never have to see Krin in his smallclothes again!

Sorry for that non-sequitur. It's extremely early, and I'm a bit demoralized missing my chance to create a character on Balmung. Also, I've been watching too much Gintama.

I understand that it's frustrating. It's incredibly frustrating for me as well because I have IRL friends who are trying to get on this server to join the FC I run. It's -terrible-. But as I've said RPC isn't a spokes person for the server really. And I do believe it's been said time after time that there will not be a third server named as the third unofficial by the admin here in the past.

Your best bet is this;

1. Wait out this rush if you really want in on Balmung
2. Transfer, yes it sucks and is expensive
3. Possibly go on Famfrit and try to get things going there. It seems to be a larger server.

As Qhora says it's not a bad idea on a smaller scale, but we've been through this a lot. And people do have presence on other servers you may wish to check them out.

RE: The Server Problem - Hastur83 - 06-23-2015

Yeah, I imagine you guys get this a lot. Sorry. I was thinking about trying out Siren, since I've seen here and a few other places that there's a small RP trying to stay alive there.

(06-23-2015, 06:22 AM)Hastur83 Wrote: Yeah, I imagine you guys get this a lot. Sorry. I was thinking about trying out Siren, since I've seen here and a few other places that there's a small RP trying to stay alive there.

It's okay, I understand the frustration. I still remember a lot of it from 2.0.
Siren seems to be a good choice as well, I've heard people talk good things of it.