Hydaelyn Role-Players
For those who can see aether... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: For those who can see aether... (/showthread.php?tid=12244)

For those who can see aether... - Parvacake - 06-23-2015

Interesting tidbit my boyfriend happened across as NPC dialgoue. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler!

Sidurgu: However, there may be a way to find out. The other day, I overheard a curious tale from a House Haillenarte knight recently returned from Camp Cloudtop. He spoke of Vanu healers who could see their patients' aether. So skilled were these healers that they could diagnose ailments with a glance.

My main, Lili, has always been able to see aether. Details are on my character's RP profile (which needs updating), but I found this to be very interesting considering she has learned to heal over time!

But all in all, my greatest source of happiness? I found concrete evidence that such things can be canon.

HA.

RE: For those who can see aether... - E'irawen - 06-23-2015

I actually didn't realize this was a thing. That's really fascinating :O

RE: For those who can see aether... - Gegenji - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 10:10 PM)Lililove Wrote: But all in all, my greatest source of happiness? I found concrete evidence that such things can be canon.

A spoiler character can do this too, but there's some negative connotations to it too. Constantly seeing through the aether drains at one's life energy, it seems. Glances like this should be fine, but trying to do it all the time would be hazardous to one's health.

RE: For those who can see aether... - Sounsyy - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 10:25 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 10:10 PM)Lililove Wrote: But all in all, my greatest source of happiness? I found concrete evidence that such things can be canon.

A spoiler character can do this too, but there's some negative connotations to it too. Constantly seeing through the aether drains at one's life energy, it seems. Glances like this should be fine, but trying to do it all the time would be hazardous to one's health.

Chacha beat me to it. The quote he's referencing is this, from the MSQ:
??? Wrote:I need not tell you that it consumes your very life force to see by sensing the aether around you. Take care of yourself, do you hear me?

So definitely possible via lore, but also has in-lore negative effects for doing so!

RE: For those who can see aether... - Flickering Ember - 06-24-2015

Are these new quests you are talking about?

I know a great wealth of characters who can see via aether and I wonder what it will mean for RP concerning that.

I wonder, too, how does simply being able to see aether drain it? Kinda weird.

RE: For those who can see aether... - Gegenji - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:10 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I wonder, too, how does simply being able to see aether drain it? Kinda weird.

It doesn't drain it, per say. I believe that seeing aether requires quite a tax on one's self... and you're foreshortening your life if you do it constantly. Brief glimpses if one has the ability would likely be fine - it's just that the spoiler character is using it ALL THE TIME.

Most characters I run into who can see aether RP it as something innate. It's something they just can do like seeing a certain color. You don't choose to do that. But this sounds like new lore so all the RP surrounding this that I've known has been from 2.0 

This is a very popular trait in many of my RP circles so I am interested to see how this might affect existing narratives. I hope it doesn't throw people's storylines too far off!

RE: For those who can see aether... - Seye Qhesu - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:35 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 01:10 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I wonder, too, how does simply being able to see aether drain it? Kinda weird.

It doesn't drain it, per say. I believe that seeing aether requires quite a tax on one's self... and you're foreshortening your life if you do it constantly. Brief glimpses if one has the ability would likely be fine - it's just that the spoiler character is using it ALL THE TIME.
Whelp, good thing Bri is dead

/rolls out.

(06-24-2015, 01:49 AM)Kaguya Nightsong Wrote:

/rolls out.

Aw, that is so sad. I saw Brianna around a lot so she feels so much a part of the server lore. I also recognize her as a fellow blind character. How did she die?

RE: For those who can see aether... - Seye Qhesu - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:59 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 01:49 AM)Kaguya Nightsong Wrote:

/rolls out.

Aw, that is so sad. I saw Brianna around a lot so she feels so much a part of the server lore. I also recognize her as a fellow blind character. How did she die?
IC story. She died like a Highlander in battle and with a grin on her face. Her death helped push another character forward with his own story line and allowed me to go Au Ra as I had hoped to several months ago. Alot of people liked Bri but she was meant to be a filler character.

RE: For those who can see aether... - Parvacake - 06-24-2015

Lili's ability to see aether has always been innate, but it has its downsides which those close to her (like her husband) get to see. Big Grin Love how the game drops us tidbits here and there!