Hydaelyn Role-Players
SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. (/showthread.php?tid=12295)

Pages: 1 2

SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Hammersmith - 06-26-2015

I'm pulling this from another site, but I figgured it's point of order wasn't so much as political as it was revolutionary and a balm for a lot of people.

WOOOOOOOOOO long time coming, thanks to all the ones who dug their heels in so hard and who elevated this in importance to the point where Scotus had to lean in

Decision below:
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

Scotus
Quote:Originally Posted by SCOTUS
Held: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage
between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage
between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully
licensed and performed out-of-State.

Scotus
Quote:No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies
the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice,
and family. In forming a marital union, two people become
something greater than once they were. As some of
the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage
embodies a love that may endure even past death. It
would misunderstand these men and women to say they
disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do
respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its
fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned
to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s
oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the
eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth
Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

And there's some absolutely delightful old man crying tears in the dissents.

Quote:'Scalia's dissent has an awesome footnote on page 7 (note 22): he says, "If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: ‘The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,’ I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - AquiziTC - 06-26-2015

Scalia's masterful use of hyperbole NEVER fails to entertain.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Hammersmith - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 11:41 AM)AquiziTC Wrote: Scalia's masterful use of hyperbole NEVER fails to entertain.

Scalia is a precious, precious baby.

Quote: Scalia
Of course the opinion’s showy profundities are often profoundly incoherent. “The nature of marriage is that, through its enduring bond, two persons together can find other freedoms, such as expression, intimacy, and spirituality.” (Really? Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie. Expression, sure enough, is a freedom, but anyone in a long-lasting marriage will attest that that happy state constricts, rather than expands, what one can prudently say.)

In the year of our lord 2015 a member of the high court uses hippies as an example of contemporary morales and martial intimacy.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Gegenji - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 11:42 AM)Hammersmith Wrote: Scalia is a precious, precious baby.

Quote: Scalia
spirituality [whatever that means]

D-Does Scalia not understand what spirituality means?

So.  Uh.  While Scalia is a laughable clown...Thomas is...legitimately unhinged and scary in a dark and frightening way:

JUSTICE THOMAS WHO SITS ON THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 
Quote:Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Martiallais - 06-26-2015

So first and most importantly, that's great news to hear! Big Grin I know some very happy folks due to this news!

In response to the other quotes/commentary (ESPECIALLY the last one) all I can say is...what.the actual. fuck.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Gone. - 06-26-2015

About time. Now maybe we can start working on trans rights so hopefully I'm actually considered a human being within some period of my limited life span.

p.s. who wants to marry me?

(06-26-2015, 12:44 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: About time. Now maybe we can start working on trans rights so hopefully I'm actually considered a human being within some period of my limited life span.

This is a good point about this not being a peak/final solution all things are fixed forever and needs to be kept in mind.

Good step here, but a long way to go.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Melodia - 06-26-2015

While I am genuinely not enjoying my week thus far, this news did make me happy. I am happy for my friends and relatives and everyone out there this ruling will help.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Addison - 06-26-2015

While I'm happy for the overall ruling, the fact that it won by such a narrow margin just proves we will have a long way to go. And I can't imagine what kind of crap the people against this ruling are going to pull, especially those in power in Congress.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Thorgar - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:44 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: About time. Now maybe we can start working on trans rights so hopefully I'm actually considered a human being within some period of my limited life span.

you are human, unless your have horns and a tail then your a cooler human lol.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Thorgar - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:54 PM)Addison Wrote: While I'm happy for the overall ruling, the fact that it won by such a narrow margin just proves we will have a long way to go. And I can't imagine what kind of crap the people against this ruling are going to pull, especially those in power in Congress.
sadly its one of many leftover laws based on the puritan belief system. Im glad they finally kicked that one.  Never made sense to me why it was even an issue.  Its not like its going to force everyone to have same sex marriages, but shyte life can be a pain in the arse so once you find that person who makes it worth while why would'nt you marry them?

oh did anyone else read Scrotum in the title or am i just that tired?

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Kage - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:54 PM)Addison Wrote: While I'm happy for the overall ruling, the fact that it won by such a narrow margin just proves we will have a long way to go. And I can't imagine what kind of crap the people against this ruling are going to pull, especially those in power in Congress.
It was not unexpected. For the most part there is party and social conservative lines in place in SCOTUS.

I want to start a deadpool of bets on which state will try to use the Theory of Nullification on the 14'th amendment first.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Edgar - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:29 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: So.  Uh.  While Scalia is a laughable clown...Thomas is...legitimately unhinged and scary in a dark and frightening way:

JUSTICE THOMAS WHO SITS ON THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 
Quote:Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.

[Image: readImage?iid=18174314]