Hydaelyn Role-Players
Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer (/showthread.php?tid=12553)

Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Miyako - 07-12-2015

I’m in need of some RP advice, and I was wondering if any of you lovely people could be of help.  I would like to RP a Raen conjurer, but since we have so little lore on Othard/Doma and Au Ra in general I’m having trouble knowing how to go about it. I’ve created a few questions and if anyone has any insight or lore on these matters it would be much appreciated!

How would one go about roleplaying an Au Ra conjurer if she’s never had contact with the Twelveswood/Stillglade Fane? Is that even possible or must conjury be learned within Stillglade Fane? 

If it is possible, would it work if I were to say someone taught my character conjury or something akin to conjury (nature magicks) during her time living in Othard?  I had this idea of her grandmother being her teacher, but I’m not sure how lore-abiding that would be.

Also, would it be likely elementals live in Othard or possibly something similar to elementals? Perhaps some sort of nature spirits?

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Sarnai Kha - 07-12-2015

Hi.

About Conjury: Conjury is the art of borrowing power from nature to aid people who need the help.

Gridania has the conjurer's guild where you go to learn more about conjury. There is nothing in the lore that says you need formal training from the Conjurers guild to be able to use conjury, but you will no doubt be lacking in the terms of the skills most Gridanian conjurers have.

With that said, its not impossible to play a non-gridanian conjurer.

Also, due to the lack of lore on Orthard, aside from the 50 Xaela tribes and the Doman's/Raen across the mountains of Orthard, nothing is practically known about Orthard so I wouldn't jump the gun when it comes to elemental's being in Orthard.

EDIT: Orthard also has horses and are a garlean held territory.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - LiadansWhisper - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: I’m in need of some RP advice, and I was wondering if any of you lovely people could be of help.  I would like to RP a Raen conjurer, but since we have so little lore on Othard/Doma and Au Ra in general I’m having trouble knowing how to go about it. I’ve created a few questions and if anyone has any insight or lore on these matters it would be much appreciated!

How would one go about roleplaying an Au Ra conjurer if she’s never had contact with the Twelveswood/Stillglade Fane? Is that even possible or must conjury be learned within Stillglade Fane?

As far as I know, not exactly, though it might be harder to attain mastery without training at the Stillglade Fane.

Quote:If it is possible, would it work if I were to say someone taught my character conjury or something akin to conjury (nature magicks) during her time living in Othard?  I had this idea of her grandmother being her teacher, but I’m not sure how lore-abiding that would be.

I don't see why not.

Quote:Also, would it be likely elementals live in Othard or possibly something similar to elementals? Perhaps some sort of nature spirits?

The elementals are in everything.  It's just, the only place where they are "loud and proud," as it were, is the Twelveswood.

That we know of anyway.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - V'aleera - 07-12-2015

I don't think training at Stillglade Fane is necessary for developing a mastery of conjury, in much the same way Ishgardian lancers seem to be doing great without having to study at the Lancer guild in Gridania. The art has been around pretty much forever, it's just a matter of whether or not a given society discovers how to use it.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Sin - 07-12-2015

Hello my friend!

I'm going to tackle these questions in reverse order, and give you some advice on your concept.

Elementals are present throughout the entire world of Hydaelyn. They are the -elements- of the world. Within the Twelveswood, because of very specific circumstances they are comfortable enough to show themselves at times and have established a relationship with the Gridanians. Basically there are elementals in every bit of the world, but they don't all possess the same strength and most are very shy.

As presented in game, Conjury is a very specific form of magick taught in a place known as the Stillglade Fen, long since learned from Moogles. I disagree fully that you do not need specific training for the specific art of Conjury as without spoiling much the entire questline revolves around helping someone who's doing it wrong. It can be inferred that that is not the only way to bungle it up and therefore to perform Conjury as the Gridanians do you would need to know the spells and rituals of the Gridanians.

So how do we make a nature magick-oriented Raen then?

You're on the right track with your ideas. Being taught by a shaman or spiritual leader of some sort could easily have them learning nature magicks. The idea of her grandmother teaching her something akin to Conjury is perfect. It could perhaps have a bigger tinge of Animist beliefs and therefore incorporate the spirits of the world in a very Asian style.

Another idea if your desire is to be as close to a Gridanian conjurer as possible is being a hearer.

A hearer is a Gridanian term for a person who has been born with the amazing ability to hear the elementals. This seems to be an ability you're born with, though others can reach similar levels of communion with extensive training.

Your Raen could be born a Hearer in a faraway land.  Taught in the nature magicky ways of her Granny.

I hope that's clear, ask me more if it's not, I like helping.

Smile Take it easy.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Blue - 07-12-2015

Pretty sure all those beastmen conjurers did not go in Stillglade Fane >_>;;

Worst to worst, just RP having been taught by a conjurer who was originary of Gridania and came to Othard for whatever reason.

(07-12-2015, 05:15 PM)Intaki Wrote: I don't think training at Stillglade Fane is necessary for developing a mastery of conjury, in much the same way Ishgardian lancers seem to be doing great without having to study at the Lancer guild in Gridania. The art has been around pretty much forever, it's just a matter of whether or not a given society discovers how to use it.

The Gridanians were the people who developed conjury in the first place, afaik.  That's why I said it might be harder to attain mastery without their instruction.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Gone. - 07-12-2015

Your resident Doman healer here. :3

For Vetiver, I basically roleplay her as a shrine maiden of sorts; various tasks included medicine, funerary rights and the quelling of unruly ancestral spirits. She comes from a matriarchal line of healers with a family shrine and in her words: "What you call 'conjury' runs in my very blood."

This is how I worked in her master-level conjury. I found it quite easy to piece together knowing that Doma is basically a fantasy version of feudal Japan with a religion akin to Shinto. The most lore stringent of folks might not go for it since it's grey area and all, but through the interactions I've had on Vetiver (of which amounts to a good few dozen differing characters), I've yet to run into anyone that hasn't found her background plausible.

Hope that helps you come up with something for your Raen!

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - V'aleera - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 05:32 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: The Gridanians were the people who developed conjury in the first place, afaik.  That's why I said it might be harder to attain mastery without their instruction.
Actually they didn't. The Moogles knew conjury first and then taught the Gridanians so that they would be more well-equipped to not piss off the elementals.

Now that's not to say that study at Stillglade is not a path to mastery of conjury. But there's nothing to suggest it is the only one.

(07-12-2015, 08:27 PM)Intaki Wrote: Actually they didn't. The Moogles knew conjury first and then taught the Gridanians so that they would be more well-equipped to not piss off the elementals.

And supposedly that is when mankind as a whole learned Conjury (which could, of course, be bullshit, but that's supposedly how it got started).  Perhaps moogles taught other people in other lands the same discipline.  >.>

Quote:Now that's not to say that study at Stillglade is not a path to mastery of conjury. But there's nothing to suggest it is the only one.

I never said it was the only one.  Please re-read my posts.  ._.

I said it might be harder to mastery Conjury without their tutorship.

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Sounsyy - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: Also, would it be likely elementals live in Othard or possibly something similar to elementals? Perhaps some sort of nature spirits?

Most certainly. Elementals live everywhere in Hydaelyn. Though most do not appear to mortals outside of the Twelveswood's Hedge for fear of Mankind.

Which leads into...

(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: If it is possible, would it work if I were to say someone taught my character something akin to conjury (nature magicks) during her time living in Othard?

Domans, and possibly other Othardian natives, do actually have something strangely akin to "nature magicks." In fact, worship of Elementals might actually be... a thing. Listen to this:

Oboro Wrote:My people do not worship your deities twelve. Our gods are all around us - in the trees, in the soil, in the crashing waters before you. Close your eyes and open your heart to the sound of the rushing falls, that you might purge your mind of all worldly thoughts and distractions.

Oboro Wrote:We draw power from the world around us - the heaven, the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of ay-ther, was it?

This sounds suspiciously similar to Conjurers' descriptions of the Elementals:

Waldew Wrote:Listen, adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.

Ingram Wrote:Put your ear to the Twelveswood, sister, and listen with all your being. Know - not fear - know that the Elementals are there. And when you feel that it is they that comprise the life that flows through us all, you will begin to hear their whispers.

So Far Easterners may actually be Elemental worshipers themselves!

(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: How would one go about roleplaying an Au Ra conjurer if she’s never had contact with the Twelveswood/Stillglade Fane? Is that even possible or must conjury be learned within Stillglade Fane?

So while your character's version of Conjury will not be the same as the Stillglade Fane's... (remember that Moogles taught the Gridanians Conjury only 500 years ago so that they might communicate with the Elementals) ...Far Easterners may have a form of magic very similar to conjury. Doma's shinobi actually use a version of this Far Eastern Conjury and incorporate it into their Ninjutsu as a martial magick. Likely a non-martial version exists in some capacity somewhere as well. A grey area, sure, but within the realms of lore.

I would just caution against your character saying they use "Conjury." Rather saying something like, "I use something akin to your conjury" would be more accurate, as if you aren't trained by the Conjurers at Stillglade Fane you're not technically the Eorzean "Conjurer."

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Please help-Au Ra (Raen) Conjurer - Miyako - 07-13-2015

Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all the advice and interesting lore regarding this. This has really helped me a lot with deciding on the direction in which to go with my character. Big Grin