Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs (/showthread.php?tid=12593)

The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Seriphyn - 07-14-2015

Shower thoughts. I was once again weighing up the differences between the Inner Beast of Warriors and the Darkness of Dark Knights, comparing and contrasting the two, and so on. I mean, both have you glow with demonic red eyes and also deal with the themes of losing control of oneself. I'm not here to discuss WAR vs DRK lorewise, but I am here to discuss the realization that all of Eorzea's Jobs seem to weighed down by a great burden that serves as fantastic brooding material. A good number of them deal with unchecked power, too, and keeping it in balance.

Both WAR and DRK have this. But PLD has it, too, in the form of a moral obligation to serve the realm. DRG talks about that inner dragon, and again losing control to it. BLM regards the destructive power of black magic, and WHM has the heavy moral implications of Succor. I am not so acquainted with the other jobs, so I was hoping others would be able to confirm that my personal theory is correct.

If this is true, then it provides an interesting running theme to FFXIV's world. The Jobs are not some shining beacon of hope that will provide the power to overcome the darkness. Each has their own darkness, and being one of these Jobs have great implications and an equally great burden placed upon the character. If you are any of these Jobs, you are not some Hero who deserves unconditional respect. Quite the contrary; you have a metric ton of responsibility placed upon you. Walk the line carefully, lest you be crushed under the weight of the massive burden.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-14-2015

There's a reason all of the jobs were nearly lost to time (or were until rediscovered).

But as the main-character, WoL, it -is- our burden to weird that power and be the hero.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Mae - 07-14-2015

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

Anyways. Bard (at least pre-HW) wasn't nearly as... weighty, I guess... than other jobs to me. It's been a long time since I've reviewed those CS's (RP-wise, I play as a plain archer so the Bard lore wasn't that important to me), but if I remember correctly it was more about passing down/spreading/keeping a legacy alive than being a burden. I could be wrong, though.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Asmodean - 07-14-2015

Summoners more or less have to deal with their own hunger for power. Only reason the summoning art was lost was more or less those who could not summon over powering summoners who wore becoming power crazy. While I have only got to the 54 quest, my guess is our burden would be learning to control the Dreadwyrn trance and not becoming like the summoners of old.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - LiadansWhisper - 07-14-2015

The only "canon" thing that you have to deal with in terms of White Mage is that at some point in the past, your bros nearly blew up the world and that was a Very Bad Thing ™.

I am actually slightly bummed about that, so I have my own headcanon for what the "darkness" is to using Succor.  Smile

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Kellach Woods - 07-15-2015

Honestly the 50-60 line for WAR essentially did away with the whole threat of the Inner Beast stuff :/

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - AquiziTC - 07-15-2015

DRG itself doesn't have that darkness. 30-50 is all about "huh you're special even without the Eye." And then 50-60 is about "You're awesome, so here's this apprentice" which goes off the rails REAL f'ing fast and then becomes more about

Show Content

So yes, there's darkness sorta, but really the WoL is just fine.

Final Duty though at 60 is BAD. ASS. It was super fun and I was SO into it.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - -no longer matters- - 07-15-2015

(07-14-2015, 11:26 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: There's a reason all of the jobs were nearly lost to time (or were until rediscovered).

But as the main-character, WoL, it -is- our burden to weird that power and be the hero.

Not sure if Dark Knight was lost...
Show Content

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-15-2015

(07-15-2015, 05:09 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 11:26 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: There's a reason all of the jobs were nearly lost to time (or were until rediscovered).

Show Content

"Lost" was more geared towards the 2.X jobs. Dark Knight, Mechanist and Astroligian are all called classes by SE, like a Conjurer, Thaumatuges, Gladiator, etc.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - Aaron - 07-15-2015

There's no such thing as a true hero. 

The WoL has killed countless people, hes a murderer just like everyone else. 

It'd be hypocritical of him to have a job that was 100% goody two shoes. You don't take a weapon and not expect to use it.

RE: The Great Burden of Adventurers and their Jobs - -no longer matters- - 07-15-2015

(07-15-2015, 05:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 05:09 PM)War Siren Wrote:

Show Content

"Lost" was more geared towards the 2.X jobs. Dark Knight, Mechanist and Astroligian are all called classes by SE, like a Conjurer, Thaumatuges, Gladiator, etc.
Oh I completely missed that, you're totally right!