Hydaelyn Role-Players
Interstitial Lands - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Interstitial Lands (/showthread.php?tid=12871)

Pages: 1 2

Interstitial Lands - ɴᴘᴄ - 08-06-2015

Question with regard to the less-traversed paths of Eorzea.

I'm writing this character as a wayfaring and somewhat listless persona, and I am curious about what places he may have seen in his travels. Specifically I'm wondering if the map of Eorzea is meant to be fully contiguous, or if itinerants, caravans, perhaps even small settlements could be found in the 'spaces between' the regional maps.

If he tells a tale of such a place, would it be considered purely whimsy, or perhaps credible to the typical Eorzean listener?

RE: Interstitial Lands - Jerciex - 08-06-2015

I am sure people would be interested to hear stories like that. If you think, most of Eorzeans has never left their home nation, so they would interested to hear stories from other nations. Everyone has a dream visit something exotic places!

Atleast Jerciex, who has been most of his life in Gridania, love to hear stories from other nations. Someone is telling him about doman areas and he finds it interesting (so do I).

RE: Interstitial Lands - Cato - 08-06-2015

So long as you do it tastefully and in a plausible manner than I don't think many people will have much of a problem with it. Eorzea and the lands beyond are much, much bigger than what the game world portrays after all!

I'd be very surprised if there weren't all sorts of different outposts and villages throughout Eorzea that we don't get to see in-game due to mechanical limitations. I'd avoid anything too major - such as the creation of additional city states - but if you keep things simple I can easily see it being credible both IC and OOC.

RE: Interstitial Lands - ɴᴘᴄ - 08-06-2015

Thanks, these insights are appreciated.

I'm thinking of things that are very low-key: a Hyur hamlet that has a local folktale about a nearby river spirit; a rumor that a beloved barkeep is actually be a retired pirate, perhaps hiding a stash of stolen Maelstrom loot somewhere nearby; a spooky encounter along a lonely trail in the moors. Those sorts of things.

RE: Interstitial Lands - Marisa - 08-06-2015

Especially with how the map is laid out, and from what we can see beyond the loading screen lines, I definitely believe there are often lands between the zones. Personally, I really hope some of those get filled in some day. Though I doubt it will happen :I

In fact, the unseen areas are probably pretty substantial. They may hide entire towns. After all, what we can see of each city-state is pretty sparse. One city and ~3 villages does not make a nation.

RE: Interstitial Lands - Hammersmith - 08-06-2015

The maps we have are in no way a 1:1 translation of a map area.  Even if you could walk from Gridania to Ul'Dah, or to Ishgard, on foot, it would take time.  

There's a reason there's carts, merchant caravans, and why the Syndicate in Ul'Dah has merchant routes through areas that it protects.  There HAS to be more space than we see or that SE could map out, and there has to be a lot going on inside those areas that involve the behind the scenes clockwork of a nation and it's people.

However you don't need any of that to play a vidya game.

Assuming there's loads and loads of towns, hamlets, settlements, tribal wandering areas, is completely lore friendly.  Just look where it's near and build from there.

RE: Interstitial Lands - Eddard - 08-06-2015

Things like the examples you gave would be plenty reasonable places to yarn on to any that would listen. It isn't like you're making stories that could somehow interfere with serious canon so I can't forsee people getting irritated over them. 

Expanding on what Marisa said, we can assume the gaps between zones are pretty vast. Another detail to support this is the drastic change in environment we can see when moving from one zone to the next. Going from Twelveswood to Thanalan shows a contrast between the foresty to desert environment though it's pretty safe to say that's gradual instead of the abruptness we see.

RE: Interstitial Lands - ɴᴘᴄ - 08-06-2015

Excellent points, all. It seems these places may as yet be insignificant, not in their size, but in how they pertain to the Warriors of Light at the present time. I will take up my travels in game and see what I can make of these lands for future writing.

Thank you.

RE: Interstitial Lands - Aya - 08-06-2015

Those lands physically represented in the game are at best a loose abstraction of the "reality of Eorzea".  You could write entire novels in areas, villages, and perhaps even towns that we cannot enter Smile

Just use your imagination!

RE: Interstitial Lands - 13uddy - 08-06-2015

People have already answered better than I could, but I figured I'd add my 2 gil.

Really, as long as you aren't going out of your way to break or ignore lore, then go for it.

I might be a bit biased, though, as I've built the bulk of my character's pre-game history around an area that doesn't technically exist within the given locations we can visit in the game.  I've tried crafting it in such a way that it feels like it could really exist somewhere on the overall map somewhere between the cracks of the locations we can actually visit within the game.  It isn't in some far off land nobody has heard of, just a small farming village and the surrounding area that is far enough away from any major hubs that visiting them wouldn't be common (maybe a once or twice a year thing for supplies and possibly trade), yet not so distant that they wouldn't hear news now and then or have an occasional visitor passing through on their way to or from such places.

RE: Interstitial Lands - Blue - 08-06-2015

Given the current era and available technology, the existence of uncharted parts of Eorzea is pretty legit and likely.

RE: Interstitial Lands - LiadansWhisper - 08-07-2015

There's also areas we simply don't see at the moment.  For instance, there are parts of the Eastern Shroud that are no longer on that map, but we know they're there in Lore.  And the Coerthas Eastern Highlands aren't in game yet (if they ever will be added).

RE: Interstitial Lands - ɴᴘᴄ - 08-07-2015

True. Looking now at overlay maps of Vylbrand, it seems that even all the combined playable regions account for far less than half of the landmass. If there aren't serious hang-ups about worldbuilding in these areas, I wouldn't necessarily mind having to retcon later.

RE: Interstitial Lands - LiadansWhisper - 08-08-2015

(08-07-2015, 09:22 PM)Grandelion Wrote: True. Looking now at overlay maps of Vylbrand, it seems that even all the combined playable regions account for far less than half of the landmass. If there aren't serious hang-ups about worldbuilding in these areas, I wouldn't necessarily mind having to retcon later.

Well, I'm pretty sure we know there are no other city-states hiding out in those areas we can't get to at the moment.  It's possible they'll retcon it later, but...

RE: Interstitial Lands - Aduu Avagnar - 08-08-2015

I have Memevachi come from 'A little village down the coast' of Thanalan XD