Hydaelyn Role-Players
Which server? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Which server? (/showthread.php?tid=13336)

Which server? - Tistan - 09-09-2015

Which server seems to have the largest and best rp community or is it a toss up?

RE: Which server? - Virella - 09-09-2015

Balmung is the one with the biggest community for certain Smile

RE: Which server? - Tistan - 09-09-2015

Thank you! Thankfully I already have two characters on that server from when I tried to play awhile back. I'm finally done with wow and plan to fully move over to playing ffxiv. I look forward to rp'ing with you all Smile

RE: Which server? - Ignacius - 09-09-2015

Our communities are set up on Balmung and Gilgamesh.  Both have similar problems (they're not-so-coincidentally the two largest servers), but both have good RP communities.  Balmung is larger, but a little more specious.  Gilgamesh is smaller, but a bit tighter.  Either way, you'll be fine.

I'd keep an eye on both if you don't have a preference, hoping you get onto either.  Because they're so heavily populated, it's sometimes hard to start a character.  To dissuade RMTs, the servers have a certain amount of characters they allow to be made on a somewhat random schedule.  So you sometimes have to try to log on during off-hours to make a character.

You can get around this by starting elsewhere and transferring, since character transfers ignore character creation restrictions.

RE: Which server? - Tistan - 09-10-2015

Yeah I already have three characters on Balmung. I realized though I don't remember how to play the game. I have a couple characters near level 20 but I haven't played in 8 months or longer. Trying to figure out the ins and outs to the game still, also trying to figure out where the rp hubs are. Are there any rp addons like in wow or do you just have to figure out who the rp'ers are on your own?

RE: Which server? - Virella - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 02:56 AM)Tistan Wrote: Yeah I already have three characters on Balmung. I realized though I don't remember how to play the game. I have a couple characters near level 20 but I haven't played in 8 months or longer. Trying to figure out the ins and outs to the game still, also trying to figure out where the rp hubs are. Are there any rp addons like in wow or do you just have to figure out who the rp'ers are on your own?
No add ons in at the time around Smile Blame the PS3 for that Tongue

But generally it is not hard to spot rpers, often they got 'roleplayer' of sorts in their search info.

RE: Which server? - Kage - 09-10-2015

Typically, you'll find lots of roleplayers in Ul'dah because... I dunno a lot of us gravitated towards it and people just never established a big foothold. However, I've seen RPers in Limsa Lominsa's The Bismarck or the drowning wench as well as Gridania's Carline Canopy (the respective cities' Adventurers' guilds or eating) when I just pass through. I've also seen some people chat together at Ishgard's Forgotten Knight.

Generally if you stand in some place and see people interact in /em or /say "Dialogue blah blah blah" they're RPing. You can check their search info just in case. Some cases may be hard because PVErs will use /say sometimes but they won't typically use " " for dialogue.

Some RPers do not use " " in /say for dialogue so that's something you will need to parse through and read for context.

RE: Which server? - Ignacius - 09-10-2015

If you end up on Gilgamesh, we're fairly centralized in the game.  Contact Adolar Stone if you don't see me, he'll get you hooked into the infrastructure.

RE: Which server? - Tistan - 09-10-2015

Thank you so much for your advice! Smile

RE: Which server? - Manari - 09-10-2015

Other MMO's have addons for RP? Admittedly I haven't RPed in other MMOs so I had no idea. What kinds of things do they do?

RE: Which server? - Edda - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 04:38 PM)Manari Wrote: Other MMO's have addons for RP?  Admittedly I haven't RPed in other MMOs so I had no idea.  What kinds of things do they do?
You can get addons in WoW that essentially play the game for you. If you did any kind of content at all you were basically required to get Deadly Boss Mods, Recount... mouseover addons for healers as well. Addons that told you when and where to gather stuff, do quests, track the auction house. There were RP addons too but as I never RPed before FFXIV I could not tell you about those. From what I hear they seem pretty nifty, so it makes me wish we had the same options for addons in FF.

Edit: Sorry, I might have misread your post. IIRC RP addons in WoW you could put like a searchable bio up that people that also had the addon could view? Sort of like search info only more substantial.

RE: Which server? - LiadansWhisper - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 04:46 PM)Edda Wrote: You can get addons in WoW that essentially play the game for you.

None of them can actually do this.  Addons that provide automation are completely illegal in WoW and can cost you your account (i.e. you get a permanent ban and lose your game license).

Quote:If you did any kind of content at all you were basically required to get Deadly Boss Mods, Recount... mouseover addons for healers as well.

Most guilds use DBM or BigWiggs for timers, but I've never been required to have Recount, and I know many healers who raid at a high level who use exactly what we use in FFXIV - mouseover macros and the stock frames.  The difference in WoW is that I can actually make my raid frames look like less of a train wreck and tailor what kind of information displays on my screen (I really don't need to see everyone's mana bars or their TP bars, or their stances, and all it does is take up valuable screen real estate).

Quote:Addons that told you when and where to gather stuff, do quests, track the auction house.

These exist, but have never been required by any guild that I know of.

Quote:There were RP addons too but as I never RPed before FFXIV I could not tell you about those. From what I hear they seem pretty nifty, so it makes me wish we had the same options for addons in FF.

Edit: Sorry, I might have misread your post. IIRC RP addons in WoW you could put like a searchable bio up that people that also had the addon could view? Sort of like search info only more substantial.

It's actually pretty in depth.  They allow you to change your name, add titles, put in a description, add details like age, current appearance, etc.  The most common addons used were TotalRP and MyRolePlay.  Most of these addons are completely compatible with each other and fully share information between them.  Additionally, some RPers used an addon (whose name escapes me at the moment - Edit: I believe it is called GHI, but I could be wrong!) that would allow them to make little "items" that existed only within this addon but could be traded between players and do things like hold text or play music, etc.  It was useful for RP purposes.  Here are some links to the RP addons so you can get an idea of what they do:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/my-role-play
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/total-rp-3

RE: Which server? - Tistan - 09-11-2015

Yeah it's GHI. Gryphon Heart Items. Its a really cool little addon. Super useful for rp. The one good thing about wow was the RP addons they had. Unfortunately no other mmo has rp addons like wow. I really wish they did though. It would make rp'ing that much easier and much more immersive.

RE: Which server? - 13uddy - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 01:50 PM)Tistan Wrote: Unfortunately no other mmo has rp addons like wow. I really wish they did though. It would make rp'ing that much easier and much more immersive.

I second that so much.  I wish that more MMOs would either allow add-ons (since some seem to think any add-on or mod equals cheating) or add something to make RP more accessible and immersive to those who wish to do so.