Hydaelyn Role-Players
BLM/THM Inquiry - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: BLM/THM Inquiry (/showthread.php?tid=13404)

Pages: 1 2 3

BLM/THM Inquiry - Mikoto - 09-14-2015

Anyone have information about BLM/THM losing body parts or getting rid of them to give them a boost of power/aethereal manipulation? I can't seem to find anything in 2.0 but I heard 1.0 touched upon this very subject in greater detail.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Sounsyy - 09-14-2015

Unfortunately, no. Someone else asked me the same question, citing this reddit post on the topic. However, after going back and looking through my own notes and searching for several hours across the lore sites, I wasn't able to find a single reference to Thaumaturges or Black Mages replacing their eye(s) with materia.

That's not to say this information isn't correct, but whatever source text originally hinted at this mutilation has been lost with 1.0. Unless, someone has the transcriptions to the 1.0 versions of the "International Relations," "Gearing Up," "The Voidgate Breathes Gloomy," and "Always Bet on Black" laying around so I can keep digging?

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Vallerin Hortimont - 09-14-2015

I'd replace my eye with a level V materia.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Mikoto - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 10:11 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Unfortunately, no. Someone else asked me the same question, citing this reddit post on the topic. However, after going back and looking through my own notes and searching for several hours across the lore sites, I wasn't able to find a single reference to Thaumaturges or Black Mages replacing their eye(s) with materia.

That's not to say this information isn't correct, but whatever source text originally hinted at this mutilation has been lost with 1.0. Unless, someone has the transcriptions to the 1.0 versions of the "International Relations," "Gearing Up," "The Voidgate Breathes Gloomy," and "Always Bet on Black" laying around so I can keep digging?

I'm going to see if I can find these missions on youtube and watch through them. Hopefully someone has them up!

EDIT:
Will be posting up the videos as I run into them for future reference.

International Relations
[youtube]cd3dAIANMGQ[/youtube]

The Voidgate Breathes Gloomy
[youtube]zjNuvoMaRY4[/youtube]

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Sounsyy - 09-15-2015

(09-14-2015, 11:24 PM)Mikoto Wrote: I'm going to see if I can find these missions on youtube and watch through them. Hopefully someone has them up!

Ashiee!! Aww I forgot about her. =( Went through those and didn't see any mention of it. I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't part of the "Small Talk" option with Lalai at or prior to Voidgate Breathes Gloomy. I know after you defeat Ququruka her small talk changes to this:

Lalai Wrote:I...I was foolish. I craved guidance. A mentor. I see that now. I never should have believed Ququruka's words. Even now, I cannot say what of Ququruka's words is truth, and what is falsehood. But you are indeed the one destined to guide this power. Of that alone am I certain.

But there's no record of what her small talk option says prior to Always Bet on Black. That would explain why I have no recollection of the materia thing cuz I just went through and did the quests. Blehh.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Ashe - 09-17-2015

I would take all 1.0 class lore (not regular lore like the history of Hydaelyn) with a grain of salt and here is why: 

1)  Most players don't play by this lore because most people are not 1.0 players. Yes, some know the 1.0 class lore but majority do not and majority will have no idea what you're talking about.

2)  The lore team working on FFXIV now retconned most of the classes. Black Magic currently isn't really life or death magic as it was in 1.0, but it's more of a technique of using thaumaturgy that takes aether from the earth, destroying the land, and making your own magic stupidly powerful. If used incorrectly, you risk spontaneous combustion (as seen in 3.0).

3)  The 1.0 THMs were much much much darker than the ones now. I feel like it would be difficult to RP with that explanation of the magic. If you go around RPing that kind of special snowflake who harms themselves for the sake of their magic, people may be turned away.

I RP a black mage who does not cast correctly and, therefore, doesn't cast often at all. 
My advice would be don't go further than replacing your eye with materia or something minor that isn't like, "My character has an ironworks magiteck arm after cutting it off and sacrificing it to the void to make his magic the most powerful ever." or something....either way, I wold take the 1.0 class lore with a grain of salt 'cause it is 90% defunct.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - LiadansWhisper - 09-17-2015

(09-17-2015, 01:26 PM)Ashe Wrote: I would take all 1.0 class lore (not regular lore like the history of Hydaelyn) with a grain of salt and here is why: 

1)  Most players don't play by this lore because most people are not 1.0 players. Yes, some know the 1.0 class lore but majority do not and majority will have no idea what you're talking about.

2)  The lore team working on FFXIV now retconned most of the classes. Black Magic currently isn't really life or death magic as it was in 1.0, but it's more of a technique of using thaumaturgy that takes aether from the earth, destroying the land, and making your own magic stupidly powerful. If used incorrectly, you risk spontaneous combustion (as seen in 3.0).

3)  The 1.0 THMs were much much much darker than the ones now. I feel like it would be difficult to RP with that explanation of the magic. If you go around RPing that kind of special snowflake who harms themselves for the sake of their magic, people may be turned away.

I RP a black mage who does not cast correctly and, therefore, doesn't cast often at all. 
My advice would be don't go further than replacing your eye with materia or something minor that isn't like, "My character has an ironworks magiteck arm after cutting it off and sacrificing it to the void to make his magic the most powerful ever." or something....either way, I wold take the 1.0 class lore with a grain of salt 'cause it is 90% defunct.

As far as I know, the devs haven't retconned any of the base class lore (i.e. Thaumaturges, Conjurers, etc).

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Oli! - 09-17-2015

They mean the Job lore.

(09-17-2015, 01:44 PM)Oli! Wrote: They mean the Job lore.

He was talking about Thaumaturges in his post.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Warren Castille - 09-17-2015

Mechanics =/= Lore.

Black Magic isn't Thaumaturgy, it's a technique and it's entirely fucking illegal. People openly talking about being black mages are worse than anyone RPing with lost limbs for power, because one of these is defined in-lore as being cause for arrest/death/horrible things and the other exists as a plausible grey area.

Also: Convert. Sacrifice HP for magical power.

And Another Thing Edit:

Posted below Oli, ignore

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Oli! - 09-17-2015

(09-17-2015, 01:48 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 01:44 PM)Oli! Wrote: They mean the Job lore.

He was talking about Thaumaturges in his post.

It was mentioned, but their main point about the retconning of 1.0 Jobs is still widely correct.

RE: BLM/THM Inquiry - Ashe - 09-17-2015

Hehehehehe "his post" (I'm a girl)...maybe I should change my forum name/image to my female character >>
Anywhoooo
I said in my post that Black Magic is a technique that is like THM. 

I don't mind people RPing a black mage. I RP one who doesn't show himself as a mage at all because....duh >> That and Black Magic is dangerous to use in general...wouldn't recommend doing it without 1) keeping it a secret and 2) ICly having a soul stone for it 'cause if you don't and you use it too much/wrong you will just blow yourself up (literally).

Welllllll if you're gonna be a thm and do that, the guild will probably oust you to say the least.
I think that a lot of did change from what I remember from 1.0 
The type of magic that they use in this game is different.

Oli finally agrees with what I say! >> But yes, BLMs were retconned. Anyone who doesn't see that is living on another planet~~

1.0 class lore stands just fine for the Ul'dah classes. 1.0 Pugilists were not trained by Holyfist, they were finger-and-knee-breakers working for the gambling den on the strip. 1.0 Gladiators were not a mercenary band of disciplined swords, they were legitimately-fighting-in-the-Coliseum-like-Raubahn gladiators. It's entirely reasonable that the Ossuary, inundated with adventurers as they would have been since 1.x, have changed their schooling and tutelage to be more widespread.

Think about it: A gaggle of powerful mages with power over LIFE AND DEATH would not share those secrets with the masses. The Ossuary used to be where the rich and powerful were interred. Adventurers don't give a damn about that (and it means less people take a cut of the sweet, sweet payday). The 1.0 lore works just fine if you're someone who played back then, because those legacy characters would have literally learned differently than these damn kids people starting now.

Edit:

Quote:2) The lore team working on FFXIV now retconned most of the classes. Black Magic currently isn't really life or death magic as it was in 1.0, but it's more of a technique of using thaumaturgy that takes aether from the earth, destroying the land, and making your own magic stupidly powerful. If used incorrectly, you risk spontaneous combustion (as seen in 3.0).

Full stop. Black Magic didn't exist until after the Thaumaturge redesign. It's not a retcon if the thing you're talking about never existed in the first place.

(09-17-2015, 02:49 PM)Oli! Wrote: It was mentioned, but their main point about the retconning of 1.0 Jobs is still widely correct.

I never said that it wasn't.  I was very, very, very specific that I was referring only to Classes, and not to Jobs.

(09-17-2015, 02:51 PM)Ashe Wrote: I don't mind people RPing a black mage. I RP one who doesn't show himself as a mage at all because....duh >> That and Black Magic is dangerous to use in general...wouldn't recommend doing it without 1) keeping it a secret and 2) ICly having a soul stone for it 'cause if you don't and you use it too much/wrong you will just blow yourself up (literally).

Sorry, your wiki lead me to believe otherwise.

Quote:Black Mage Asheloux is, through and through, a Black Mage. He is very open about his interests in the void and darker magics. While it’s technically shunned upon, Asheloux embraces it, and he is very good at it.

Ain't shunned upon. Illegal, with immediate consequences upon discovery.