Hydaelyn Role-Players
Some Spell Casting Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Some Spell Casting Questions (/showthread.php?tid=13565)

Some Spell Casting Questions - Glacirus - 09-23-2015

So for the past few days I've been mulling over ways to flesh out my characters' wiki pages, and as I thought about Glacir's story, I found myself thinking about the different schools and methods of spell casting, and what factors contribute to a spell's power and/or a person's affinity for certain methods. I understand the basic differences between the schools, but want to toss a few personal thoughts and see if you guys agree/disagree, and/or have lore to prove/disprove my thoughts.

First I'd like to discuss Glacir's situation specifically. He's studied the main four schools of magic (Conjury, Thaumaturgy, Arcanism, and Astrology) but has an easier time grasping Arcanism and Astrology compared to the other two. My reasoning is that those two schools are more formulaic; rooted in numbers, math, and logic. Arcanism is all about the formulas and patterns written in the books, and Astrology is tracking the stars and constellations to draw upon the powers from the six gates which is all angles, spheres, geometry, etc. Where as I see Thaumaturgy and Conjury being more free-form, just imagine the spell and it will be done. I'm not sure if that's exactly the best way to compare them, but that's my reasoning for Glacir's greater understanding of certain forms of spells.

This part is more in general, to make sure I understand spells properly (and for a secret event idea I've been mulling over that hinges on part of this being confirmed). The way I see it spells, and their strength, is dependent on a number of factors:
  • Knowledge - If you don't understand how a spell works, you're not going to be able to cast it, but if you master it you can bring out its full potential.
  • School of Magic - I'm sure a Conjurer could make ice and fire if they had elementals aiding them, but they focus on the less destructive elements, so it's harder/impossible for them to do it.
  • Aether Source and Quantity - Obviously each school draws from a different source, but if you either don't have access to it or don't have enough to draw from, your spells will fail, and reverse the more you have the stronger they become.
  • Focus/Weapon - This is the one I'm most interested in for now. I know different materials channel different spells better (Bone/metal makes good thaumaturgy tool, wood for conjury, etc.). What I'm wondering is: how does a lower-grade focus influence spells. Does it limit the aether that can be used, or is it just if you try to use more than it can handle, the tool will break and your spell most likely explode in your face?

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Tonberry Prince - 09-23-2015

I want to preface this that most of my ramblings are inferences and theories based on events occurring in-game.

I think it'd be helpful to define what magic is.  Which I don't think there is an official definition of what magic is, I'll just say that magic is the manipulation of aether.

I'd like to address some of your bullet points:

Aether Source and Quantity:  
I'd have to disagree with your statement that each school of magic has different sources of aether.  Aether is aether.  Aether can be found in the world around you, from yourself, or from crystals.  Each has unique advantages and drawbacks. Ambient aether.  Most magic is used from ambient aether.  However, it's not as concentrated or potent. So without special implements (Moenbryda's scepter, Tupsimati, etc.) your spells won't be your average run-of-the-mill adventurer-class spell.

Aether used from yourself is more potent.  However, using aether drawn from yourself is very risky as it's your lifesource.  Use all of your aether and you're dead.  (reference the Conjurer class quests)

Aether from crystals are potent, but limited by how much a crystal can store and the ability to cart around crystals.

School of Magic

Actually, during the initial release of FFXIV, Conjurers could cast damage-dealing spells from the six elements:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Conjurer_(Final_Fantasy_XIV)/Legacy

I see the different schools as more philosophies versus rigid training.  Conjury is a more spiritual practice, where Arcanima is more scientific.  Each philosophy trains your mind in a different way on how to practice it's form of magic.  The magic spell (or manipulation of aether) would be taught as a "prayer" in conjury, a geometric pattern/formula in arcanima, etc. etc.

Focus/Weapon

I don't think there's a lot of information about how foci hold up regarding using magic.  There's only two instances I can think of:  1) Tupsimati exploding when defending against Bahamut's assault during the Battle of Carteneau, and 2)  E-Sumi-Yan mentioning how he would find it difficult to wield Y'shtola's new staff after certain events in Heavensward.

So, I think it's safe to infer that when too much aether is channeled into a focus, it will explode.  Our only example though is Tupsimati, and it exploded after defending against an elder primal.  So, you'd need a -significant- amount of aether to cause a focus to explode.  Granted, we can probably infer that Tupsimati was a top-of-the-line level of focus.

I hope you find these musings useful.  I'm very interested in the theory and application of magic in-game, and wish there would be more lore about how magic actually works.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Glacirus - 09-24-2015

(09-23-2015, 11:56 PM)Wolfeheart Wrote: Aether Source and Quantity:  
I'd have to disagree with your statement that each school of magic has different sources of aether.  Aether is aether.  Aether can be found in the world around you, from yourself, or from crystals.  Each has unique advantages and drawbacks. Ambient aether.  Most magic is used from ambient aether.  However, it's not as concentrated or potent. So without special implements (Moenbryda's scepter, Tupsimati, etc.) your spells won't be your average run-of-the-mill adventurer-class spell.

Aether used from yourself is more potent.  However, using aether drawn from yourself is very risky as it's your lifesource.  Use all of your aether and you're dead.  (reference the Conjurer class quests)

Aether from crystals are potent, but limited by how much a crystal can store and the ability to cart around crystals.

School of Magic

Actually, during the initial release of FFXIV, Conjurers could cast damage-dealing spells from the six elements:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Conju...IV)/Legacy

I see the different schools as more philosophies versus rigid training.  Conjury is a more spiritual practice, where Arcanima is more scientific.  Each philosophy trains your mind in a different way on how to practice it's form of magic.  The magic spell (or manipulation of aether) would be taught as a "prayer" in conjury, a geometric pattern/formula in arcanima, etc. etc.

The reason I think they take different sources is from the class quests: Conjury makes a big deal about "We take the blessing of the elementals and aether from nature to cast spells, and ignoring the elementals and they get angry and deny you their aether. Thaumaturgy makes a big deal about drawing on internal aether reserves, and not having enough means casting big spells can/will kill you. Arcanism is vague in their quests, but I gather it's releasing the aether within other objects (i.e. gemstones for Carbuncles and bacteria(?) for Bio/Virus). Really, I'm fine being wrong about this point, but the quests seemed to make a big deal about it

As for the schools just being different thought processes, that works well too. Again, I felt the quests for each class made points that there are deeper differences behind the schools than just that, but it could just be me over thinking it. I do think as they're presented in 2.0 onward, they have specializations more or less.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Gegenji - 09-24-2015

As I recall, THM and ACN both use one's internal aetheric reservoir to power their spells, which is why you have that whole arc in the THM questline about the one Coco brother whose natural aether reserves are so small as to be unusable. This is different from using one's actual life energy (the aether that's keeping you alive) like the girl from the Conjurer questline is doing. Continuing along that line, Conjurer pulls its aether from the Elementals - the only non-job class with external aether sources.

When you get into the jobs, things get mixed up some. White Magic and Black Magic are so dangerous because they draw their power from an extraneous source - specifically the planet. The War of the Magi was such a dangerous thing no just because they were throwing huge, powerful spells and killing people... but they were effectively killing the planet to do it. Which is why the Elementals flooded Hydaelyn, restricted White Magic to just the Padjals, and Black Magic is generally considered to be A Very Bad Thing. Astrologists apparently draw their aether from specific constellations, so they also pull from an external aetheric source, leaving SCH/SMN as the only ones that still do big things using just their own aether (even if SMN take in some primal aether to be able to summon egis).

Moving away from the aetheric source for magic a bit, focii are actually relatively important for spellcasting. The gem in a THM's rod, the wood in a CNJ's staff, and the metals used in the ink of a ACN's formulae are all exactly that - a focus. By using them to cast spells, you focus and amplify the power of your spell to make it that much stronger. The better the material at conducting and amplifying magic, the greater resulting power of a spell. A THM's Fire I spell will do more damage with a high-end rod than Mage's First Stick. Whether or not one can cast a spell at all without such a focus is uncertain, but a few folks have RPed as being able to cast more wild, unfocused and lower-powered spells without the required weapon handy.

So, I'd agree that the power of one's spells would be dependent on most of the factors the OP mentioned. Knowledge isn't just knowledge of the spell - but also knowledge of pulling aether from external sources in the case of White and Black Magic to further boost your spells. Which leads into Aether Source, which can be how much is in one's natural aetheric reserves if they are not pulling from an external source. And finally, the quality of one's weapon and the materials in its construction aid in the focus and amplification of the spell to maximize its potential.

I would put little stock in School of Magic, since as we have seen, all of them seem to (mechanically at least) be able to do Big, Dangerous Spells. The only difference is with Black Magic, which is technically not a school of magic at all, but a technique. There is available lore attesting to the great things Black Mages have done with the power they've taken from the planet - moving mountains and calling down stars. Even the other offensive casting class - the Summoner - mostly relies on their own aether and remnants of fallen primals. Comparatively, THM is the "most powerful" school since Black Magic can be used to bolster its power to awe-inspiring heights.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Sylentmana - 09-24-2015

It's also important to note that, while some magic can be cast through pure force of will, the majority of spells require actual vocal incantations to be fully realized.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Vyce - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 08:57 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: It's also important to note that, while some magic can be cast through pure force of will, the majority of spells require actual vocal incantations to be fully realized.

With a few exceptions, such as the Arcanist writing or drawing in the tomes for summons and a few other spells.

It's likely there is a collection of sigils and geometric spells already set up in the books, and they just open to the right page, channel magic through them, and RUIINNNNN

(Honestly, when I got Ruin II is when I decided "okay...I can stay a scholar. this is very pleasant"

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - FreelanceWizard - 09-24-2015

Well, we know from mechanics that you need both focus and the ability to speak and move to cast -- since quick movement, injury, Silence, and Paralyze all stop spellcasting. Ruin II is just as disabled when you're Silenced as Fire IV is. Smile Some spells (the Instant ones) just require less focus than others.

Gegenji's given a good summary of things. Smile I will note that arcanists can employ the aether in crystals as well, which factors into the summoning of the Carbuncle, and they can draw aether from the environment (Aetherflow) and opponents (Energy Drain). They're sort of a middle ground, it seems, between the fully internal practice of the thaumaturge and the fully external practice of the conjurer. Aether is aether, though, even if it's coming from different places.

I do need to go back through the AST quest text, though, as I'm pretty sure Leveva at some point says that Gates and constellations are metaphors, much as the Royal Road is, and ultimately you're using your own potential to cast the spells -- but I'm not confident in saying that 100% without rereading the dialogue.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Vyce - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 10:14 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Well, we know from mechanics that you need both focus and the ability to speak and move to cast -- since quick movement, injury, Silence, and Paralyze all stop spellcasting. Ruin II is just as disabled when you're Silenced as Fire IV is. Smile Some spells (the Instant ones) just require less focus than others.

Gegenji's given a good summary of things. Smile I will note that arcanists can employ the aether in crystals as well, which factors into the summoning of the Carbuncle, and they can draw aether from the environment (Aetherflow) and opponents (Energy Drain). They're sort of a middle ground, it seems, between the fully internal practice of the thaumaturge and the fully external practice of the conjurer. Aether is aether, though, even if it's coming from different places.

I do need to go back through the AST quest text, though, as I'm pretty sure Leveva at some point says that Gates and constellations are metaphors, much as the Royal Road is, and ultimately you're using your own potential to cast the spells -- but I'm not confident in saying that 100% without rereading the dialogue.
Silence is called silence is every game. I think it's the universal concept of halting magic basedo n the traditional idea that spells must be spoken.

But Silence is more than that. It has more to do with the target's ability to channel magic...like pressing mute during a dramatic part of a movie...the moment loses all its magic. It seems it can halt the flow of aether. Otherwise a dark knight's rage could still manifest and a dragon's fire breath could still spark. Silence even stops the channeling of magics that are based on will alone. Aetherflow is one of those instant, sheer will abilities. Ruin 2 is the point where the Arcanist has mastered the ruin spell to a point where he can summon it at the flick of a finger. No words, just the focus in hand.

Its possible that silence breaks the connection between caster and focus. Imagine how it would feel to suddenly go deaf- suddenly you are cut off from truly experiencing the world and can only watch it unfold around you.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Sounsyy - 09-24-2015

I'll be backing up a lot of what Chacha said, but figured I'd drop some lore quotes for extra reference.

(09-23-2015, 11:04 PM)Glacirus Wrote: Arcanism is all about the formulas and patterns written in the books, and Astrology is tracking the stars and constellations to draw upon the powers from the six gates which is all angles, spheres, geometry, etc. Where as I see Thaumaturgy and Conjury being more free-form, just imagine the spell and it will be done.

Sort of!

Aether Sources:
ACN - personal aether reserves (anima) and sometimes external sources (aetherflow/energy drain/carbuncle)
THM - personal aether reserves (anima)
CNJ - drawn from nature
AST - unlocked from the Six Celestial Gates
WHM - drawn from Hydaelyn
BLM - drawn from Hydaelyn

Methodology:
ACN - Arcanists shape spells using the arcane geometries, but cast by channeling their own aether through the enchanted ink of their grimoire. The conductivity of the ink allows for more effective/stronger casting of the spell.

THM - Thaumaturges speak ancient incantations to formulate a spell and draw their own aether into a stave made from metal or bone and focused into an aetherially enhanced gemstone to cast.

CNJ - Conjurers draw aether from their immediate environment into their stave, made from unworked wood, and through meditation, shape that aether into a desired spell.

AST - Astrologians draw residual aether from the constellations into their planisphere. I've yet to do a lot of the AST questline, so the specifics on how they cast, channel, and focus their magic yet eludes me. Someone will have to help me here.

WHM and BLM - Both follow essentially the mechanical progression of CNJ seen above. Aether is drawn from the immediate environment into the stave via the focus (flower/gemstone) and then shaped either via meditation or incantation.

So I guess you could describe Conjury as more freeform? But Thaumaturgy requires rigid adherence to pre-written incantations, similar to how an Arcanist requires specific geometries for spells. Altering or botching one of these incantations can have disastrous effects:

Ququruka Wrote:I do not know what came over me. I... Blinded by my own lust for power, I altered one of the incantations. It was... arrogant. And foolish. I watched as chaotic aether washed over my three friends, ripping their bodies asunder.

(09-23-2015, 11:04 PM)Glacirus Wrote: School of Magic - I'm sure a Conjurer could make ice and fire if they had elementals aiding them, but they focus on the less destructive elements, so it's harder/impossible for them to do it.

Conjurers (per lore) still can command all six elements, despite the battle team's mechanics retcon back in 1.18. The lore team has insisted on sneaking Essences and Permutations into 2.0 and 3.0, which was a tome found in 1.0 Stillglade Fane detailing the conjurers' control of the elements.

However, the Stillglade Fane now focuses on just three of those elements, wind, water, earth. Though, if any character has been a conjurer for more than five years, they would also be familiar with the other three elements as well.

(09-23-2015, 11:04 PM)Glacirus Wrote: Focus/Weapon - This is the one I'm most interested in for now. I know different materials channel different spells better (Bone/metal makes good thaumaturgy tool, wood for conjury, etc.). What I'm wondering is: how does a lower-grade focus influence spells. Does it limit the aether that can be used, or is it just if you try to use more than it can handle, the tool will break and your spell most likely explode in your face?

Certain materials do channel aether more effectively, yes.

Serendipity Wrote:Silver was historically prized for its beauty. Ancient peoples even believed it to possess magical properties. Although they did not completely understand the natural process involved, they were in fact correct. It's difficult to explain to someone without an extensive background in the relevant fields, but let's just say that silver is really, really good at channeling aether.

For Thaumaturgy, staves made from bone are preferable, but artificial aether conductive metals such as electrum, silver, gold, etc will also work. Thaumaturges are also not specifically limited to staves, as there's evidence of ritual/ceremonial daggers also being used. Then an aetherially enhanced gemstone acts as the focus. The type of precious stone influences the potency of certain types of spells.

Serendipity Wrote:Despite being relatively commonplace, malachite is quite sought after, owing to its supposed power to ward off evil. Superstitions notwithstanding, it does indeed have some mild thaumaturgical properties.
Serendipity Wrote:This gemstone is the focal point of the design, both aesthetically and practically speaking. It is what allows a thaumaturge to channel the aetherial energies within.
Serendipity Wrote:Perhaps you're wondering who would prefer a staff with a headpiece of bone over one studded with jewels. Well, the Thaumaturges favor such equipment. Fangs and horns are the weapons of beasts, used to kill and defend. Few materials are better suited than these for channeling the dark arts.
Lodestone Wrote:In the hands of a skilled practitioner, thaumaturgy can be a force of terrifying destruction. At the heart of this school of magic lies the ability to call forth and command the latent aether within oneself through deep introspection.
To then mold that aether into sorcery, the thaumaturge makes use of a scepter or staff, within which is housed a medium—a natural stone imbued with magical properties. Thus armed, the thaumaturge is capable of wreaking considerable havoc via ruinous spells and curses.

For Conjury, staves made from un-worked wood are preferable, though branches made to seem lifelike are also acceptable. Staves or wands home to sprouting flora seem to channel aether more effectively.

Beatin Wrote:The gentle curve of the crook appears natural, as if it was destined to take such a shape. Indeed, your skillful application of growth formula has imbued this cane with new life, giving it the appearance of unworked wood.
Ponette Wrote:To conjurers, our canes are the physical representation of our connection with the living world. They provide a focus for us to channel the forces of nature and weave spells. To possess a cane made of walnut is a dream most conjurers share.
Lodestone Wrote:Conjury calls upon the elements of earth, wind, and water and concentrates them to a potency at which spells can be weaved. Through practiced meditation on the essences of creation, conjurers draw forth and absorb aether from their immediate surroundings. A wand or cane made from unworked wood is then utilized to focus the aether until it manifests as the desired spell. Versed also in magicks that restore and strengthen, conjurers are regarded as accomplished healers.

As was covered slightly earlier, while it's the geometries and formulaes that evoke the arcane magicks, it's the quality of the ink they were drawn in that give the caster greater power.

Anonymous Arcanist Wrote:For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries. These geometries are inscribed upon the pages of a grimoire, such as the one you constructed at my request. The most important aspect of any grimoire is the quality of the ink used to illustrate its pages. Geometries drawn with ink that is especially conductive to the flow of aether allow the arcanist to more effectively channel his magical strength.
Lodestone Wrote:Adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within occult grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells. Using the selfsame symbols to unlock the latent power contained within gemstones, arcanists are also able to summon forth the familiar known as Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.

More lore on the schools of magic and discussion of their foci/mechanics can be found here:
-Aether and Magic Lore Compilation Index

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Devyn Piper - 09-24-2015

Okay, this is my kind of discussion.  Love seeing all the answers here!  My main, Devyn Piper, is a conjurer and some of this discussion is fairly important to how he became one and how he continues to practice as one.

Please bear with me, as I tend to write in a scatterbrained fashion.

Aetheric Source - In addition to what others have said (mostly Gegenji) I'd like to mention that I believe all jobs/classes draw from some internal reserve as well when they cast.  What exactly does MP represent?  Is it the body's capacity to channel aether without burning out?  The actual pool of aether in one's body?  I can't see it as the total amount available to you (other than those who draw solely from themselves such as summoner / scholar) because why wouldn't black/white mage have an infinite supply, or near as much as makes no difference?

I've always thought of it like so: Every casting class draws on their own personal aetheric reserves to cast spells.  No matter where the bulk of your power comes from you can't just hope really hard and have some external source do all of the work for you.  You start the casting using your own aetheric reserves to open the proper link between yourself and your magic's source, which provides the rest of the oomph for your spell.  I think of it like a car's battery.  Does the battery provide the power that makes the car drive around?  No.  Can you start the car driving around without the power from the battery?  No.  Does this fit within actual game lore?  I have no idea, but it makes things make sense to me.

Focus/Weapon - Agree wholeheartedly with Gegenji on this.  As far as casting with/without, I also RP the ability to cast minor spells without a specific focus, but require the higher end stuff or the more intricate/delicate stuff to need SOME kind of focus.

For example: One of Devyn's friends was about to get into a stupid fight the other day and he used his innate casting ability - no focus - to conjure a fist-sized rock hovering over his hand so he could threaten to bean the first moron to try turning the argument into a physical fight.

For higher end casting, however, he does need a focus.  Being a conjurer these are fairly easy to find in one form or another, and I've RPed being able to use just about any natural wood in a pinch.  Obviously it would be ineffective compared to a specially prepared staff or wand but in an emergency it could mean the difference between life and death.  Is this actually plausible?  I'm curious to know what the game says, but it does mention "unworked wood" somewhere so I thought it made sense that a conjurer, caught without his normal focus, could get a makeshift one out of nearby material.

Just my two gil worth!

[Edit: Sounsyy's post was not up yet when I hit reply to type mine. Always bringin' it with the lore! Feel free to tear my comments apart - I like being accurate.]

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - FreelanceWizard - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 10:28 AM)Vyce Wrote: Silence is called silence is every game. I think it's the universal concept of halting magic basedo n the traditional idea that spells must be spoken.

But Silence is more than that. It has more to do with the target's ability to channel magic...like pressing mute during a dramatic part of a movie...the moment loses all its magic. It seems it can halt the flow of aether. Otherwise a dark knight's rage could still manifest and a dragon's fire breath could still spark. Silence even stops the channeling of magics that are based on will alone. Aetherflow is one of those instant, sheer will abilities. Ruin 2 is the point where the Arcanist has mastered the ruin spell to a point where he can summon it at the flick of a finger. No words, just the focus in hand.

Its possible that silence breaks the connection between caster and focus. Imagine how it would feel to suddenly go deaf- suddenly you are cut off from truly experiencing the world and can only watch it unfold around you.

Can dragon breaths be Silenced? My recollection is that they can be Pacified (blocks physical actions), not Silenced. The Dragon's Voice and the Ram's Voice can be Silenced, but consider their name. I don't recall which DRK actions are subject to Silence, but on the PLD side, it's your spells -- cross-classes from CNJ and Flash. I personally feel, having played the DRK quest line through 50, that they're just employing a different means of channeling aether, particularly as Fray says it's more or less the same thing in the level 30 quest. Anything a DRK has that can be silenced is a spell by that logic, though perhaps it's not a spell as a pure caster would easily recognize it.

The "breaking connection" is an interesting take on it, though I tend to class Ruin II as a "verbal component" spell, to use the D&D terminology. It's less "I flick my finger" and more "I say a word of power and channel it through my pre-made diagram," but that's a matter of personal taste, I'll admit.

Of course, this is one of those huge grey areas, particularly given that we know lore and mechanics sometimes don't match up (how's it feel to not have all those elemental damage spells on CNJ now? Tongue ), so it's interesting to see the different takes on it. Personally, I don't think we need to go outside of Silence being "mute the caster" for it to work, but different opinions make the IC discussion of magic go 'round. Smile

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - Kinono - 02-04-2016

Reviving a deadish thread for a related question!

So, magic and foci. Most magic needs foci. If not all. Okay.

So what exactly is happening when a dark knight just flat-out fires aether out of their hand? Because I'm pretty sure that's magic and I'm pretty sure they're not channeling it through their sword. Look at Power Slash and Salted Earth's animations; both skills involve the dark knight pretty much setting aside their weapon to shoot aether straight from their hand. 

So... Is the dark knight simply using the sword as a focus but not using it as a "launch point?"

Or is the small distance shown for skills like Power Slash short enough that you don't "need" focus? Could a fully trained dark knight who has dropped their sword in the heat of battle still shoot aether out of their hands?

Inquiring minds need to know.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - C'kayah Polaali - 02-04-2016

(09-24-2015, 11:29 AM)Devyn Piper Wrote: Focus/Weapon - Agree wholeheartedly with Gegenji on this.  As far as casting with/without, I also RP the ability to cast minor spells without a specific focus, but require the higher end stuff or the more intricate/delicate stuff to need SOME kind of focus.

For example: One of Devyn's friends was about to get into a stupid fight the other day and he used his innate casting ability - no focus - to conjure a fist-sized rock hovering over his hand so he could threaten to bean the first moron to try turning the argument into a physical fight.

For higher end casting, however, he does need a focus.  Being a conjurer these are fairly easy to find in one form or another, and I've RPed being able to use just about any natural wood in a pinch.  Obviously it would be ineffective compared to a specially prepared staff or wand but in an emergency it could mean the difference between life and death.  Is this actually plausible?  I'm curious to know what the game says, but it does mention "unworked wood" somewhere so I thought it made sense that a conjurer, caught without his normal focus, could get a makeshift one out of nearby material.

I've seen a decent amount of RP where spellcasters can cast at least minor spells without a real focus, and I do this, myself. Setoh is a conjurer, so I'll RP him as able to use things like fluid aura and repose without more of a focus than a wooden ring. Anything more significant than that, though, and he needs a focus.

Ultimately, for me, I tend to be pretty flexible with lore and am willing to accept a lot of lore bending if it makes the story interesting. I may run into someone at some point who's unwilling to accept the use of spellcasting at all without a full focus, and I'll roll with that for that RP.

RE: Some Spell Casting Questions - FreelanceWizard - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 01:29 AM)Kinono Wrote: Reviving a deadish thread for a related question!

So, magic and foci. Most magic needs foci. If not all. Okay.

So what exactly is happening when a dark knight just flat-out fires aether out of their hand? Because I'm pretty sure that's magic and I'm pretty sure they're not channeling it through their sword. Look at Power Slash and Salted Earth's animations; both skills involve the dark knight pretty much setting aside their weapon to shoot aether straight from their hand. 

So... Is the dark knight simply using the sword as a focus but not using it as a "launch point?"

Or is the small distance shown for skills like Power Slash short enough that you don't "need" focus? Could a fully trained dark knight who has dropped their sword in the heat of battle still shoot aether out of their hands?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Dark Knight is a little tricky, since it straddles the line between Magic Arts and War Arts -- or, if you like Exalted terminology, Sorceries and Charms. The lore, at least as I've gone in the quest line, tends to focus on how emotions provide the driving force for the effects; it doesn't go into the mechanics of how those effects are created in terms of magic. This is largely true of the DoWs, excepting Monk (chakra) and Machinist (aetheromodulator pack).

So, IMO, you have a lot of freedom to work here. Maybe it's a raw burst of aether from your raw emotions -- no focus required, being that it's wild energy. Perhaps the sword is the focus. Maybe the soulstone is the focus; we know soulstones are a requirement for some types of magic.