Hydaelyn Role-Players
What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? (/showthread.php?tid=13579)

What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - PkThunda - 09-25-2015

Hi, it's 4am and once again I have painsomnia.

What small cultural rp events would you like to see?

I'd LOVE for an annual fall Keeper and Wildwood mushroom hunt in the forest, where the locals teach them city folk how to find edible mushrooms and then have a big cook out at the end of the day.

Au Ra and Doman horse competitions; races, polo, and horse-back archery to show off their weirdo four legged mounts (No Chocobos? INSANE!) and the cultural skills built around them.

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Blue - 09-25-2015

Given their mongolian-inspired roots, I'd see the Xaela more into horseball than polo (polo is a very western-European thing, mostly british).

Horseball on the other hand is still popular in Asia and in particular in the mongolian/arabian countries. The more traditional still refuse to use a ball and instead play with a dead goat, as it originally used to be when the game was created (don't be so creeped on, the primordial football also used goat stomachs filled with sand before the moden ball was invented!).

[Image: DSCN4204horsemurderballkyrgyz_zps1c3317e2.jpg]

[Image: horse-ball_04.jpg]

As an all-around fan and scholar of anything horse-related (I've been a horse trainer for most of my employed years), I'd be totally up for something of the sort. If not horseball, a race would be ideal. I have already a few favorite tracks scattered around Eorzea that provide nice jumping spots and difficult turns.

And let's not forget rodeos!

Yes, in short, I'd definitely love to see any horse-related event. Them chocobos have way too much glory on themselves!

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - SicketySix - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 05:31 AM)Blue Wrote: And let's not forget rodeos!
As someone who has some bull riding experience, I approve!

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Smagon - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 05:31 AM)Blue Wrote: Given their mongolian-inspired roots, I'd see the Xaela more into horseball than polo (polo is a very western-European thing, mostly british).

Horseball on the other hand is still popular in Asia and in particular in the mongolian/arabian countries. The more traditional still refuse to use a ball and instead play with a dead goat, as it originally used to be when the game was created (don't be so creeped on, the primordial football also used goat stomachs filled with sand before the moden ball was invented!).

As an all-around fan and scholar of anything horse-related (I've been a horse trainer for most of my employed years), I'd be totally up for something of the sort. If not horseball, a race would be ideal. I have already a few favorite tracks scattered around Eorzea that provide nice jumping spots and difficult turns.

Yes, in short, I'd definitely love to see any horse-related event. Them chocobos have way too much glory on themselves!

It's a shame there aren't any readily available horse mounts for people to use. Sure we get a plethora of magical horses that come in every color imaginable but no normal looking ones that you do not have to pvp forever to get.

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Blue - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 02:36 PM)Smagon Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 05:31 AM)Blue Wrote: Given their mongolian-inspired roots, I'd see the Xaela more into horseball than polo (polo is a very western-European thing, mostly british).

It's a shame there aren't any readily available horse mounts for people to use. Sure we get a plethora of magical horses that come in every color imaginable but no normal looking ones that you do not have to pvp forever to get.

Honestly, from my own experience and tastes, the one that looks the most "normal" is Sleipnir. The other model of horses (even the PvP ones, which are supposed to be normal horses from the Far East) all have joints in the wrong place and an overall abnormal bone structure. When they made Heavensturn two years ago, the kabutos gave me the idea that Far Eastern horses were actually identical to the ones we have in real life, so I was totally disappointed to learn that the PvP ones are considered Far Eastern horses. It's a damn shame...

Anywho, I'll stick to Sleipnir. At least it has a normal, non-strutting walk (and at a more realistic speed) and a saddle.

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Mia Moui - 09-26-2015

I think it would be nice to see some kind of sporting event between Seekers and Keepers, held in the early morning or late evening of course so both sides would be awake.

I'm thinking of something like lacrosse but volleyball would also work, especially if the event was held in Costa del Sol.

Less cat centric, chocobo races.  Not like in the Golden Saucer but cross country races where decoration and theme is just as important as actually winning.  Like the old (very old) Wacky Races cartoons. [edit] No, I wasn't around when this debuted, I'm not that old. I saw it in syndication.

Something from another video game (Champions Online) a concert by some well-known singer or group.  Not every few hours like in that game, but an event that happens a couple of times a year.  It could maybe require exclusive tickets, a door prize, and a drawing so that completionists would go insane.

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - LiadansWhisper - 09-26-2015

Um.

>.>

Polo was originally played in Persia and Central Asia somewhere between the 6th century BCE to the 1st century CE.  It later spread throughout the Middle East and into India and China.  It wasn't even known to Europeans (outside of a brief stint in the Byzantine Empire somewhere during the 4th century CE) until the 1800s, when the British picked it up in India.

Edited to add clarity.

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - LiadansWhisper - 09-26-2015

(09-25-2015, 09:23 PM)Blue Wrote: Honestly, from my own experience and tastes, the one that looks the most "normal" is Sleipnir. The other model of horses (even the PvP ones, which are supposed to be normal horses from the Far East) all have joints in the wrong place and an overall abnormal bone structure. When they made Heavensturn two years ago, the kabutos gave me the idea that Far Eastern horses were actually identical to the ones we have in real life, so I was totally disappointed to learn that the PvP ones are considered Far Eastern horses. It's a damn shame...

Anywho, I'll stick to Sleipnir. At least it has a normal, non-strutting walk (and at a more realistic speed) and a saddle.

The joints thing is really weird when you consider it's patently obvious they modeled the head after a real animal.  Some of the conformation is just...amazing on the horse mounts.

And then you look at the legs.  Cry

RE: What small, cultural based events would you want to see? - Seriphyn - 09-29-2015

There's a big tribal RP fetish among the RP community (I do not know why tribes are appealing in MMO RP, honestly), and I feel cultural delving into the three city-states could be just as rewarding. Ul'dah has Persian and/or Ottoman flavours, what sort of things might it have? Would Limsa Lominsa have some maritime-based competitions, shanty singalongs (I really have no clue what I'm talking about here)?

I always found it disappointing why RPers are so fixated on developing Miqo'te and Au Ra social lore without a thought for the city-states.