Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP a silent character. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP a silent character. (/showthread.php?tid=14001)

Pages: 1 2

RP a silent character. - Kattoki - 10-25-2015

My new character is silent, and as such she cannot communicate by voice. I know this may lead to some confusion later down the line. So does anyone have any tips for RPing a silent character?

RE: RP a silent character. - Roe Dad - 10-25-2015

I also rp a mute character, she uses mostly note pads to communicate but was given a pen from a employer that uses aether to write in the air. I mean and a lot of people (not too many) Speak sign language so that is also an option.

RE: RP a silent character. - Harknezz - 10-25-2015

Facial descriptions and every little hand gesture she makes are both key. You'll want to make up for the lack of her voice with them, and describing them in more detail will be a huge asset. Big Grin

RE: RP a silent character. - Syf - 10-25-2015

A lot of people get around silent characters by using writing. It's a decent method but does have its own limitations that you always have to take into account. It is a slow process, and not everyone can read or see clearly. What I've seen the most is characters that are very expressive with gesticulation and facial expressions, almost to the point where it is comical. Keeping a reference sheet may be handy for facial expressions as well as body language.

RE: RP a silent character. - Kattoki - 10-25-2015

Well to begin with, thanks for all your comments. Currently she has been carrying a notebook she writes to others pretty often. I feel like I could make more use of the mailing system. She is very expressive but I find myself nodding one too many times to agree to questions or something.

RE: RP a silent character. - Harknezz - 10-25-2015

Yeah, nodding too much might get boring for you. A cool thing to see, though it's harder, is to actually emote a full expression without giving away what it is, and letting their character read it how they will.

RE: RP a silent character. - Syf - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 11:03 AM)Kattoki Wrote: Well to begin with, thanks for all your comments. Currently she has been carrying a notebook she writes to others pretty often. I feel like I could make more use of the mailing system. She is very expressive but I find myself nodding one too many times to agree to questions or something.
You can always come up with different degrees of agreement, that includes how long of a delay there is before the agreement, and how enthusiastic the character is in the response.

Edit: You're also going to have to get used to nodding, since questions with yes and no answers are going to be the most numerous in your RP.

RE: RP a silent character. - Coatleque - 10-25-2015

Know your voice set, and your emotes. Know them -very- well. Experiment with stacking them on top of each other. You can achieve some very good results to convey emotion or desires this way. I've seen many characters do this with powerful effect.

One in particular named Thaliak's Axe never speaks. He's a large Roe that communicates with only emotes. It takes practice to do well, but the payoff is worth it.

RE: RP a silent character. - Edgar - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 11:13 AM)Coatleque Wrote: Know your voice set, and your emotes.  Know them -very- well.  Experiment with stacking them on top of each other.  You can achieve some very good results to convey emotion or desires this way.  I've seen many characters do this with powerful effect.

One in particular named Thaliak's Axe never speaks.  He's a large Roe that communicates with only emotes.  It takes practice to do well, but the payoff is worth it.

Having a character who, at best, speaks laconically, using only 1-2, and rarely, 3 words to describe her feelings or the context of the situation, I have to agree with this sentiment. Emotes help a lot.

RE: RP a silent character. - Kattoki - 10-25-2015

Are we talking built in animation emotes or /em emotes? I use a mixture of both currently.

RE: RP a silent character. - Edgar - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 11:35 AM)Kattoki Wrote: Are we talking built in animation emotes or /em emotes? I use a mixture of both currently.

Built-in.

RE: RP a silent character. - Nebbs - 10-25-2015

Same old warning.. play the character not the disability. 

Playing a disability gets old really quick. Make sue the character is viable without it then add it in for flavour. 

That's basically it.. oh and remember, you chose to play the defect not the other players. So if you get frustrated, it is your problem not theirs.

RE: RP a silent character. - Virella - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 11:58 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Same old warning.. play the character not the disability. 

Playing a disability gets old really quick. Make sue the character is viable without it then add it in for flavour. 

That's basically it.. oh and remember, you chose to play the defect not the other players. So if you get frustrated, it is your problem not theirs.
I don't think the char is disabled though, I think it's the tribe's lore not to talk Tongue

RE: RP a silent character. - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 12:16 PM)Virella Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 11:58 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Same old warning.. play the character not the disability. 

I don't think the char is disabled though, I think it's the tribe's lore not to talk Tongue

Taken from the Official FFXIV Forums, Lore board:

Gildrein Wrote:Qestir - This tribe refuses to speak, believing that all words are lies, and that a man's actions are the purest form of communication.

So yes, should OP's character being mentioned in this thread be within that tribe, it's not a situation of "I can't speak" , but  "I do not speak."

RE: RP a silent character. - Nebbs - 10-25-2015

(10-25-2015, 12:16 PM)Virella Wrote:

Ah Op did not say just "My new character is silent, and as such she cannot communicate by voice"

If playing someone who chooses not to talk, I'd still say the same. Use it as flavour and not something that replaces a "human" story.