Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! (/showthread.php?tid=14359)

Pages: 1 2

Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - ShedoSurashu - 11-22-2015

Hi! I'm new to the RP scene and to FFXIV as well. I'm planning to transfer to Balmung along with some friends. How's the state of early game content on the server? I fear that since there's no more new registrations allowed unless you pay to transfer, there won't be much people (or any at all) to do early game content with or that areas would feel deserted.

As for housing, I'm interested to know the state of things on that front too.

We're currently on Faerie but although the community is friendly and awesome all over, there's little to no RP in the server which kinda sucks.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post!

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Ciel - 11-22-2015

Early content doesn't seem to be too bad, and there are enough lowbies transferring in on a regular basis that it shouldn't be a problem. Housing is a massive problem, though.  Everything is chock full unless you get lucky and either catch a surrendered plot, or if you're willing to cough up an exorbitant amount of gil for someone to relinquish their plot. Keeping in mind, that's just for relinquishing the space, you'd have to pay again to buy the plot.  Wait until around Christmas and watch for openings due to plot decay.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-22-2015

Hi there!

While Balmung is typically closed (unless you somehow get struck by lightning and survive while simultaneously winning the lottery and can make a character the exact moment maintenance ends), it does have a fairly lively early game experience. Most of the maps are typically still packed with people, whether as new characters or as alts or subclasses. (Don't forget, you can be anything and everything in this game! And dungeons/trials are level synced, which helps bring older players back into the lower level dungeons).

Housing-wise, everything's bought up at the moment. This will likely change now that unused plots will finally expire, but I wouldn't be expecting a great selection. As a legacy server, the prices on Balmung are much higher than nonlegacy servers for housing. Our markets are fairly stable though, as there are a lot of people trying to get rich!

One recommendation is that if you think you'll possibly be using alts, to make as many characters as you want and transfer them all over to Balmung with the same server transfer fee. (It's a flat $18 for up to 8 characters, depending on your account). ...that way, you can always use the free fantasia for adjustments, without having to pay so much. (Although names then become a possible issue).

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - ShedoSurashu - 11-22-2015

Thanks for the reply guys! I don't really have an alt or plan on making one but I guess having an extra character wouldn't hurt.

As for the housing bit, I feared that would be the case.

With the introduction of estate sharing, do you think it'd be "norm" to sort of rent out one's house like an apartment? I'd settle for that. Although, I know that joining well enough FCs can grant me my own room, I'd still prefer not to be tied to an FC and instead have some sort of my "own" dwelling even if it's in the form of a rented house/room from someone else.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Swygynwyzn - 11-22-2015

Welcome and if you need help with content holler Smile

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Ciel - 11-22-2015

(11-22-2015, 08:52 PM)ShedoSurashu Wrote: Thanks for the reply guys! I don't really have an alt or plan on making one but I guess having an extra character wouldn't hurt.

As for the housing bit, I feared that would be the case.

With the introduction of estate sharing, do you think it'd be "norm" to sort of rent out one's house like an apartment? I'd settle for that. Although, I know that joining well enough FCs can grant me my own room, I'd still prefer not to be tied to an FC and instead have some sort of my "own" dwelling even if it's in the form of a rented house/room from someone else.

Renting and being assigned to a personal house seems like something which might be doable if you can find a home owner willing.  Keeping in mind, each personal house can only assign three additional tenants aside from the owner, so depending on how many friends you're bringing, doing it that way might split you up a bit.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Olofantur - 11-22-2015

(11-22-2015, 08:52 PM)ShedoSurashu Wrote: rent out one's house like an apartment?
Yup, there are a few of us doing that, working out the rental plan has been interesting.
The moving furniture can be a bit of a sticking point since the move/add/remove permissions are all in one option.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - ShedoSurashu - 11-22-2015

New update, I just transferred to Balmung just now. xD So I guess the title isn't correct anymore.

(11-22-2015, 10:14 PM)Ciel Wrote: Renting and being assigned to a personal house seems like something which might be doable if you can find a home owner willing.  Keeping in mind, each personal house can only assign three additional tenants aside from the owner, so depending on how many friends you're bringing, doing it that way might split you up a bit.
Yeah, pretty much like apartments, you can only have finite number of tenants.

(11-22-2015, 10:15 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Yup, there are a few of us doing that, working out the rental plan has been interesting.
The moving furniture can be a bit of a sticking point since the move/add/remove permissions are all in one option.
Is there an avenue where I can find listings for such offers? I haven't owned a house even on my prior server so I'm not that familiar with how housing works but regarding furniture. Can't you just rent out an empty room and let the tenant provide their own furniture?

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Thunderbolt300 - 11-23-2015

Welcome aboard! Big Grin

Just helped a couple friends transfer in and have been giving them a hand with the whole process. Early content looks pretty well populated still- we haven't had any problems finding groups so far. Copperbell has been something of a pain recently, but I think it's bad luck on the draw. Queue times have been around 10 minutes. The player economy is really good too!

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - ShedoSurashu - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 01:08 AM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: Welcome aboard! Big Grin

Just helped a couple friends transfer in and have been giving them a hand with the whole process. Early content looks pretty well populated still- we haven't had any problems finding groups so far. Copperbell has been something of a pain recently, but I think it's bad luck on the draw. Queue times have been around 10 minutes. The player economy is really good too!
Thanks! It's got the same friendly vibe that Faerie has, plus RP! Big Grin This is awesome.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Zetchryn - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 01:08 AM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: The player economy is really good too!

*Does a double look at the Market Board*

While I might... Debate that, at times, for the MOST PART it's alright.

Just be careful on some items.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Nebbs - 11-23-2015

Welcome, if it is RP you seek then it is on Balmung.

Early game is good, in my FC many are still on the MSQ and many are alting.

Housing is all gone, I would suggest an FC for this. Personally I like a house that has people in and an FC that let's the members shape the house.

Balmung us full, but that means an active community. So it is a genuinely nice place.

A good reference for RP is [The Role-Play Handbook] a great resource.

Also check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you. A Linkshell is like an in game chat channel and you can have 8, and a Free Company is like a Guild.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Olofantur - 11-23-2015

(11-22-2015, 11:42 PM)ShedoSurashu Wrote: Is there an avenue where I can find listings for such offers? I haven't owned a house even on my prior server so I'm not that familiar with how housing works but regarding furniture. Can't you just rent out an empty room and let the tenant provide their own furniture?

Unfortunately there's not centered database of "landlords" (yet)

So far as the mechanics go, having a tenant doesn't give them an option for a room (like company housing) instead you're able to give them permissions to garden, use the stables, and add/color/remove furniture. (grouped like that so you can't separate moves from color/ arrange, or even certain sections of the house, when you give permissions, they get all the permissions sadly.)

With a free company they can purchase a private room and have all the permissions to it but a similar feature hasn't bee implemented yet.

If you'd like a demo i'll be on around 9pm EST (although any other house owner should be able to do the same in the mean time. Mines at the Lavender beds, ward8, plot 28)

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - ShedoSurashu - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 12:55 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Unfortunately there's not centered database of "landlords" (yet)

So far as the mechanics go, having a tenant doesn't give them an option for a room (like company housing) instead you're able to give them permissions to garden, use the stables, and add/color/remove furniture. (grouped like that so you can't separate moves from color/ arrange, or even certain sections of the house, when you give permissions, they get all the permissions sadly.)

With a free company they can purchase a private room and have all the permissions to it but a similar feature hasn't bee implemented yet.

If you'd like a demo i'll be on around 9pm EST (although any other house owner should be able to do the same in the mean time. Mines at the Lavender beds, ward8, plot 28)
Ohh I understand now, I thought it worked similar to FC houses. I guess with that limitation it is indeed going to be a shared living quarters between trusted peers. If a tenant removes a furniture, does it get sent to their inventory? Or does it go back to the house's owner? I would imagine owners don't want their tenants to steal their stuff.

RE: Hi! I'm not on Balmung yet. :< Some questions too! - Olofantur - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 01:15 PM)ShedoSurashu Wrote: Ohh I understand now, I thought it worked similar to FC houses. I guess with that limitation it is indeed going to be a shared living quarters between trusted peers. If a tenant removes a furniture, does it get sent to their inventory? Or does it go back to the house's owner? I would imagine owners don't want their tenants to steal their stuff.
Into the removers inventory.

Its tolerable though, I have 2 people with shared permissions, one who i've known for quite some time has carte blanche and can shift things around as he pleases. The other has gardening permissions, Stable permissions, but not furniture permissions.

(As a note, tenants can enter locked houses without any issue.)