Hydaelyn Role-Players
Will Save Crit Fail - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Will Save Crit Fail (/showthread.php?tid=1492)

Pages: 1 2

Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-19-2012

Why I'm Here
No, really. I watched the "End of an Era Video" and rolled a 1 on my Will Save.

I was a fan of Final Fantasy for quite a long time. I played and beat 4-10 (Though 4 and 6 were 2 and 3 when I played them on Super Nintendo). I stopped playing after 10, mainly because my ex got the PS2 in the divorce. Since then, unable to justify buying a console just to play Final Fantasy (especially since most of my gaming is on PC these days), I haven't really touched it, but I've always held on to those fond memories.

So imagine my surprise when I found out that not only was there a second FF MMO, but it *failed*. But it ended with a bang. A huge bang. A bang so big that it grabbed my attention, and yelled at me for not paying attention to it. And now my interest in the game (and the fact that it's being rebooted) is slowly growing into a minor obsession. What guilt I feel! As if the world died because I ignored it. And come to think of it, that would make for an interesting character concept.

That last bit, by the way, is why I'm here. The only thing I enjoy more than playing MMOs is roleplaying in them. So I've come searching for kindred spirits.

Anyways...

A Little About Me:
I'm in my late twenties, former military, and a computer repair tech. I'm a long-time (but not very active) RPer. I've RPed in D&D, Free-style Forums, WoW, SWTOR, STO, and GW2. I even RPed a little in Urban Dead, for those of you who've heard of it.

In character, I tend to play characters with quirky personalities. Out of character, I tend to switch between "wise sage" and "jerk troll" randomly and with high frequency. I try and keep the latter in check, because it tends to get me forum vacations if I don't.

I Seek The Holy Grill!
No, not really. I do have questions, though. Yes, that's right. Me joining this community wasn't without purpose. During this transition between Version 1 and Version 2 of FFXIV, I've terribly lost and confused. Even basic information seems to escape my grasp. So, if you lot can help me out, I'd appreciate it:

Regarding the Game:
1.) I heard the old servers are still up. Is this true? Is it possible for a new person to get access?
2.) When is the new version expected to be up?
3.) Is this game subscription based, or free to play?
4.) Is Version 2 picking up right after the End of an Era video, or is it later? Or is it a complete reboot of the story line?

Regarding this Community:
1.) What are the community's plans for the downtime?
2.) Who are you people, and what have you done with my beloved cheese?

I'll bug you lot with more questions as I come up with them. In the meantime, thanks in advance for your answers, and for putting up with this post that is getting even more longer than it should be with every word I type. Including that one. And that one. And those ones after that. And the ones in th-

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Rhostel - 11-19-2012

*waves* Hey you.

Answers!

1) Not since the moment the end video went up. And no new players for over a month now.
2) Soooometime? Next year, almost certainly. Alpha's underway, and beta's a couple moths off. So not forever away, but don't hold your breath.
3) Sub. But with a cheap option if you don't like alts. (And an even cheaper option for Legacy players, just to make you jealous.)
4) Five years later, as far as we've been told. The idea is that many of the heroes of that battle were sent forward to then. Many of us are RPing/coming up with stories for the intermediate period with characters who weren't there.

1) Kinda covered that with the previous question.
2) WE ARE THE MOON PEOPLE AND WE HAVE SENT IT BACK TO THE MOON WHERE IT BELONGS!

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-19-2012

Hey there, Nonsensicles. I saw you browsing last night, and thought, "Oh you better reply to my intro thread." Anyone else from the GW2RP forum hanging around?

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Rhostel - 11-19-2012

If they are, it's under a different name, I think.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-19-2012

Seems this forum is a bit deader than I originally thought.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Aysun - 11-19-2012

Nah, it's not really. Many of us chat off the forum, so it's not spammed with useless posts a lot!

She answered your questions very well. A lot of the information you will find on the Lodestone.

Welcome!

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Uriah_Nool - 11-19-2012

I think you'll like XIV. I could never get into an MMO until this one, and I've been playing it since shortly after launch. I didn't know a thing about it existing until I saw it on the shelf at Gamestop in September 2010. I was all like WTF?! MINE!!

I really like how there is enough lore and quests available for a solo player to thoroughly enjoy the game on a personal level, but a very great and friendly community who are mostly all Final Fantasy fans. The game plays smoothly and looks beautiful and allows for a lot of freedom to play as whatever character you want. Welcome aboard!

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-20-2012

Thanks for the welcomes!

Aysun Wrote:A lot of the information you will find on the Lodestone.

I find that a lot of the information on the Lodestone is out of date, sadly. :/

Uriah_Nool Wrote:The game plays smoothly and looks beautiful and allows for a lot of freedom to play as whatever character you want.

But aren't they rebuilding it from the ground up?

EDIT: Added reply to Aysun.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Uriah_Nool - 11-20-2012

They are rebuilding it, but a lot of elements are carrying over into the new version, not to mention the community. The world's lore, the crafting, the items, the character designs - those will all be there. The only changes I really anticipate are a reworking of the UI (for the better) more in-game activities to do (for the better) and more places to explore (for the better).

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Rhostel - 11-20-2012

They're also doing a big overhaul on the classes/jobs. Not to the extent of what's been done before, but enough that they will feel different. Partly because the combat system as a whole is being made more fluid, since their server tech will accommodate it, I assume.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-20-2012

So, effectively, same story, different game.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Rhostel - 11-20-2012

It's a bit fuzzy, because there's been a lot of changes since launch. While there's plenty more changes for ARR, it doesn't seem it'll be an entirely different game from when it shut down. But from when it launched? Yeah, there's next to nothing that will not be changing.

And, actually, the story has been changed too. Not that there's retcons, just that they've gone in a rather different direction with what was established initially than the original team's plans.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Aysun - 11-20-2012

But, on that note, the story will be revisiting the original storyline finally, that is.. The Echo, Ascians, The Twelve, etc. Smile We'll get mooore on that finally. They had to put it on the sidelines while they recreated the game. Thus the Grand Companies and the Dalamud/Bahamut storyline came about as a means to restart it.

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Samidon - 11-21-2012

Got any to build on with the crit fail? Some of those shoot yer self in the foot stories are the funniest I've heard from D&D. Other than a DM cursing a guy with something called "Saber Tooth Crotch Crickets!" (Friend of mine has loads of stories that are quirky like that!)

Welcome to the community! It's okay to be quirky, because I love weirdos! They make me smile in a goofy way! Not sure about how the others feel about weirdos. I want to play a villain and I don't think it will work out so well, so instead I intend to lurk in the shadows and creep people out with my menacing character when opportunity arises here and there. Don't think I can go beyond that though, ICly, hopefully it can still be fun!

Re: Will Save Crit Fail - Sigil.9054 - 11-21-2012

Hmm. No D&D stories, sadly. However...

There was this one time that I tried a diplomacy check on a guy who, unbeknownst to me, had recently lost his dad.

I crit failed the roll, and he attacked with an unarmed strike. As I was caught flat-footed while wearing unenchanted cloth armor, and with a poor Dexterity stat to boot, he easilly succeeded his attack roll, and dealt 1d3 non-leathal damage. He rolled a 3, and as I was a low level scholar with only 3 HP, and I became staggared. Realizing I was screwed if he decided to attack again, I used an intimidate check. I succeeded, and he backed down.