Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pros and Cons of Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Pros and Cons of Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=15178)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Pros and Cons of Balmung - Minevato - 02-07-2016

Hello everyone! I know that obviously this is a very Balmung and Gilgamesh-focused website since those are the main RP servers, however I was wondering what your Pros and Cons for Balmung would be? I am considering making an alt to transfer there but I just want to basically know a little of what to expect before I spend the money. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Nebbs - 02-07-2016

Pros: 
  • Diverse and active RP community, you should find something to suit a veriaty of styles
  • Active forum (here) and LS
  • Many events
  • Beginner to veteran friendly
  • Not really much trolling (I can' recall the last anti-RP troll)
  • Active community in general, so LFG and the Market Board quite active
Cons:
  • Housing is all taken
  • Hard to create character
  • Sometimes a queue to get in (but low numbers like 12)
  • Given the diversity you will find like sorts but you will also find those that disagree

As/when you get here, join LSs and FC to get connected.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Kilid/Torhe - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 07:54 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
  • Sometimes a queue to get in (but low numbers like 12)

Cancel of out of the queue and select the character again.  Instant queue bypass~

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Aya - 02-07-2016

I've never had to wait more than thirty seconds for queue anyway Smile Not in a very, very, very long time.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Alderique - 02-07-2016

Nebbs pretty much nailed it. You may have some longer queues when new patch content is released, or a new expansion, but it returns to normal after a bit. You'd be transfering an alt, so you don't have to worry about trying to make a new one while the server's locked.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Aaron - 02-07-2016

Pro - Plenty of erp

Con - 90% of them are futa

Also don't take this post serious

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Edda - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 08:36 PM)Aaron Wrote: Pro - Plenty of erp

A statistic I am sure is quite accurate, as cited by your, what... personal experience?

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Marcy - 02-07-2016

Pros: I'm here.
Cons: I'm here.

It's a huge server, Nebbs' post covers the rest. Hope to see you around!

(02-07-2016, 08:45 PM)Edda Wrote:

A statistic I am sure is quite accurate, as cited by your, what... personal experience?
You're free to speculate.

<3

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Edda - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 08:59 PM)Aaron Wrote:

<3
I don't have to, considering you already know Edda's secret... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - WhiteLycanXII - 02-07-2016

Pro: Lots of RP. Tons of it. It's easy to find your thing without much effort looking. Whether you like light, heavy, grimdark, happy stuff, sexy stuff, whatever it is, there's a market for it.

Cons: A lot of it bends or outright breaks lore in ways that makes one vomit up blood.
If you're not in the 'cool kids club', your character has no cred and essentially doesn't exist.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Askier - 02-07-2016

Pro's: Pretty much rp everywhere you look. It's cool.  And, overall, people are open to rp if you poke them OOC first.

Cons: People assume there is a "cool kids" club or a secret rp Illuminati.  Just clicks that, honestly, have zero power over all and wont keep you from finding rp.

(02-07-2016, 09:23 PM)Edda Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 08:59 PM)Aaron Wrote:

<3
I don't have to, considering you already know Edda's secret... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
O-Oh my. . .

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Lydia Lightfoot - 02-07-2016

Additional pros: 

The gold farmers can't get in either, so unlike other servers you get zero gold farmer spamming.

RP is everywhere, you will struggle not to encounter somebody IC in the main cities at basically any hour of the day. Pretty much the only valid reason a person could say they can't become involved in RP on Balmung is because they have a personal reason that has nothing to do with the community or server (see below).

Due to the high population, it's generally pretty easy to find groups to do group content - and it's also very easy to get high level players to crush you unsynced through low-level group content if you just want to fly through your main story quests and don't really care about experiencing the dungeons and trials as-intended.

Cons:

It costs $18 to transfer onto the server, but this is somewhat mitigated by the fee being flat-rate for up to 8 characters, provided those characters came from the same origin server. If you think you might ever possibly want to play an alt, it therefore behooves you to pre-make 8 characters and transfer them as a batch. That way if you want to play a new alt, you have seven of them already waiting for you to come up with a personality and story to give to the name and appearance.

If you have a social anxiety disorder which makes it difficult for you to interact with new people and you have had difficulties breaking into RP groups in the past as a result of this, Balmung's high population and extensive community is not a magical cure for your disorder. Plenty of people who have such conditions have come to Balmung looking for RP and still have felt unable to become involved. That said, if that's a condition which is applicable to you, the higher population does at least increase the likelihood of encountering players with similar struggles or who will be willing to work with yours.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Virella - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 09:35 PM)Askier Wrote: Pro's: Pretty much rp everywhere you look. It's cool.  And, overall, people are open to rp if you poke them OOC first.

Cons: People assume there is a "cool kids" club or a secret rp Illuminati.  Just clicks that, honestly, have zero power over all and wont keep you from finding rp.
Sssssst don't tell them about the secret Illuminati roleplay group.

Joking aside. Yeah. There's some downsides the people pointed out, but. I think as a roleplayer you're simply best off on Balmung for the reason stated above. Surely there will be people you disagree with, but that is the lovely thing about Balmung, you can always find people who fit with your type of roleplay Smile