Hydaelyn Role-Players
Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! (/showthread.php?tid=1524)

Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - E'irawen - 12-04-2012

Soo. I was curious about characters who aren't a typical adventurer or forest hermit, etc. What about backgrounds that give a higher status for a character?

What's the general feel about those? Is it okay, so long as it's not like..ridiculous and mary-sue?

[I'm sorry I keep posting so much shiet. I swears.]

Re: Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - Vareal - 12-04-2012

If you're talking about a higher social status, like being a member of a prestigious house, that generally seems to be ok, as there are one, or two, people here who make that up for their characters. As long as the setting is in Eorzea, revolves around one of the city states and you aren't like... kin to the ruler, or king or queen of some distant land, it should be alright. My character, Isaac, is the son of a high ranking advisor from Ala Mihgo from the house Vadoma; a completely made up house that I don't need to go into too great of detail with seeing as Ala Mihgo was razed and Isaac's family was killed. So he has no high ranking standard as far as social status's go, at least not anymore.

I can give you an example of what not to do, what's not acceptable, as I was on the receiving end of this. The original version of my character Eternal Darkness was from an entirely different dimension and was transported here via a magic portal. That's a big no no. There was some controversy over that aspect of my character, a few didn't care about it, other's said it was... kind of god-moding. I've had a few issues in the past with creating characters. But Isaac is a plausible character with a common background that doesn't cross any of the borders I've tread upon in the past.

Other than that, pretty much anything goes as long as it stays within the boundaries of the realm: you can't be immortal, no magic super power that can kill anyone, or anything.

Re: Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - Ellie - 12-04-2012

Honestly, it may depend on what group you're going to be joining up to roleplay with, but from what I've seen a good rule of thumb is to make sure that your character's background doesn't have a specific influence on the plot and characters of the main scenario. An easier way to remember is that if the role or position you want to make your character for has more than one or two nameless and faceless people in the canon lore, you should be fine putting your character in that position.

For example, people might frown upon you declaring that your character is Cid's daughter, because you're attempting to put yourself in a position of explicit influence in the life of that established character.

However, you'd probably be fine creating your own noble family in Ul'dah because in the story, the vast majority of nobles are basically nameless and faceless. The more nameless and faceless positions in the group, the safer you'll be in joining it.

Now, that doesn't mean your character can't have any influence in the world, it just can't be explicit. For example, most of my characters come from the Adarest, a group of pirates that hate Limsa Lominsa and are always trying to attack the city. I'm pretty much okay in doing this because Limsa is always under attack from pirates of one form or another, but they are a bunch of nameless, faceless pirate groups.

Having an immortal 10,000 year old character who is a vampiric werewolf is frowned upon for possibly different reasons.

Re: Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - Yssen - 12-04-2012

Higher social standing is not usually the problem, as most have said the problems start when higher station leads to a from of god-moding or direct influence on the main plot.

There are also lore things to consider. Higher station usually means political involvement, and the politics of various city states is really whacky in some places. I do not know much about Limsa or Grid other than the basics, but in Ul'dah the political struggle is between the Monetarists and the supporters of the Sultana. Sultans (or in 1.0 the Sultana) and their supporters were the traditional rulers of Ul'dah in the past, they have since lost most of their political authority. Monetarists (merchant princes and the incredibly wealthy) as of 1.0 were the majority in the Syndicate, a political body the Monetarists created to have ruling authority over the Sultana. The Syndicate is in charge of Ul'dah, with the Sultana herself being little more than a figure head. Organizations exist opposing the Monetarists, as well as individuals. The Grand Company leader for Ul'dah, an Ala Mihgan refugee and gladiatorial champion, is a supporter of the Sultana's rule. Likewise, the Sultansworn (the primary body of Paladins) are also opposed to the Monatarists. The Monetarists themselves are largely represented by most every guild in Ul'dah (from the Weavers to the Pugilists). So you see how the conflict bleeds down to the common adventurer on the street.

Please keep in mind that his is really just being used and an example of the somewhat larger concerns and conflicts those of higher station are involved in. Add to this the prospects of duty to one's family, and the concept of arranged marriage for political power and you have a big fun wealth of dramatic material to draw off of. Just keep in mind that if one's status and standing become the end all be all resolution for every conflict or problem that comes up, that really is just a form of god-moding. Winning all the time make for boring characters, unless you are Achilles. If you are Achilles you just die when someone gets lucky and nicks you in the heel and that is the end of you. ;p

Re: Backgrounds 'n stuff. Question! - TWF - 12-04-2012

I like to keep a low risk of breaking lore, so my character is simply someone who grew up in Ul'Dah, and made the decision to become an adventurer.