Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar (/showthread.php?tid=15287)

[Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Enla - 02-17-2016

The post I made on tumblr received enough support that I figure I might as well take the next step into making this event a reality. However I would really like some community input on the matter before I do anything else, as I don't want to start organizing an event that is held at too odd of times for people to join or in too weird of a location. Ergo, if you could reply to this thread with your own thoughts or do so on tumblr I'd be more than appreciative!

Summary:

There are very few, if any, regular events that cater to the merchant roleplayers in this community - and fewer still that allow people to pursue their wears in a convenient location. There are plenty of IC Housing Plots that run shops, and even more that run out of individual rooms, but for most you either need to learn about them by way of mouth or get exceedingly lucky and stumble upon them. I want to design a recurring event where merchants of all stripes, be they peddling legal goods and services or illicit could come together in one location to increase their potential clientele - and also drum up more RP for their characters. During the time of the event, other PC's would be able to come and visit each 'stall' and buy various goods from the merchants and RP out the process or even just mingle around and do their own thing. Hell, I'd even be down for thief characters to come in and practice their craft so long as permission was gotten from whatever 'marks' they singled out.

However, the logistics of this are where I'm having issues and why I decided to make this thread. No one will come to an event that isn't convenient for them, and while I keep fairly decent hours to cater to the majority of the community I can't base something like this simply around when it's convenient for ME. If that makes sense?

Ergo, if you could fill out the following questions - it doesn't need to be a long post at all, just a few words would help immensely - I would be exceedingly grateful!

1. Where would you like these events held?

My thought is to rotate city-states with each incarnation but even that presents it's own issues, particularly given the utter lag that some users encounter while in the actual cities and the chance of griefing being all too prevalent. So, what about a location just outside of them? That also presents it's own issues as I can't simply pick a random patch of land that doesn't fit the theme. I've scoured several places already that would be accessible to people at a lower level, but then the question of just how much of a bother it would be to even get there comes into play. The harder you make things for people, the less likely they are to join.

That then brings on the thought of renting out space at various FC's for each event, and they could set up their yard or the interior to fit the theme. However I worry about what might happen if the FC's I find for this decide to back out of the agreement, leaving the event essentially stranded for that incarnation.

Thus my question is this; where would you like these events to be hosted? What is most convenient for you? Inside the city-states? Directly outside of them? At a nearby settlement that is easily accessible by people who are at least Lv.15 (and that may have aetheryte support)? Take it into the housing wards? Or find a few FC's to help?

Also Ishgard has been considered, but again it's not accessible to everyone so that's another thing to keep in mind.

2. Where do you stand on the issue of merchants creating 'fake' goods for 'fake' gil as opposed to the ones who actually have their crafting up and can make things for actual payments?

This issue was brought up in one of the tumblr threads, and is perhaps the one I'm most stuck upon when it comes to deciding how to handle it. Personally I want all RPers who double as merchants to be able to use this event, and I know several who actually integrate their crafting classes with their RP to sell tangible goods. However when considering the event, allowing this brings up several issues that need to be fairly addressed so that everyone is happy.

Namely, and sorry for the tangent as there are quite a few, how to make sure that everyone is satisfied and knows what they're getting into when they stroll up to these RPers? How to prevent the event from being dragged into OOC drama if the transaction goes south? Should merchants who actual sell tangible in-game goods wear certain colors or something of the like to distinguish themselves? How can we prevent non-RPers from coming in and using the event just to OOC hawk their wears? Is it even worth the hassle? I'm not sure on any account, sadly, but I don't want to exclude anyone who wishes to RP without reason.

3. How often should the event take place, and what time slot would people prefer?

Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? I'm personally down for all of them, though if it's the weekly variation I might have to contract out help to maintain it properly in case life decides to rear it's ugly head again. What about the day and time? I absolutely cannot host the event on Wednesday nights PST, but that's just me and I know the closer to the weekend we get the more and more those time slots become a precious commodity. Do YOU have a preference? I don't want to smash it against a more established event. Not only would that be rude, but it also would ensure this event never gets off the ground.

And lastly...

4. Should I make a linkshell for merchants to help facilitate this?

Pretty cut and dry, really. There are linkshells for thieves, for mercenaries, for races, for city states, and so on and so forth. There aren't many for general professions however.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you could post your thoughts it would really help me a lot in knowing what the next steps should be towards making this a reality. And hell, if you have any other ideas that aren't posted here then by all means! This is in the planning stages so now is the time to hear them!

Also, thank you so much to Franz for helping me figure out where to put this. Blush

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Sounsyy - 02-17-2016

This is an absolutely fantastic idea that I'd be ready to get behind and throw one of my characters, Razia, at as she's a fishmonger and I haven't really found a good venue for merchant RP besides the market areas. Here's some of my thoughts.

1. Where?
Swiftperch or Aleport
Silver Bazaar or Gold Bazaar
Tranquil or Buscarron Druthers

Each of these places are accessible to characters lv15-20 and are at or near aetheryte camps. What's better, these places listed are usually low PC and NPC areas with open space to set up "stalls".

2. Goods?
I think an ooc shout or a search message could be used by vendors who want to sell real goods. I myself would likely "sell" real fish but not actually ask for real gil. i'm wanting my niche to be the authentic, whatever Razia caught that day and I have in my inventory is what will be given out and when I'm out she'll be out of stock.

3. Time/Frequency?
Biweekly? Maybe? It'd give merchants enough time to craft/gather their wares, wouldn't require a weekly timeslot or organizational stress, but is often enough to not get forgotten by previous attendees hopefully.

4. Linkshell?
I don't think it'd hurt? I'd definitely be interested in getting those kinds of connections. I think LS would be best way to remind interested merchant rpers of upcoming markets.

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Enla - 02-17-2016

Thank you so much for your input Sounsey! I really like the areas you suggested as well and think they would work perfectly if that's how this ends up being done.

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Melkire - 02-17-2016

Love this idea! I've heard folks here and there pitch it back and forth over the past couple of years, and if I recall correctly there have been some groups/companies that have held something similar, but as far as I know no one's gone for a bazaar as a large recurring event. Lots of people I know, myself included, would love to attend, even if only as customers!

I do want to take a moment to point out one possible logistical nightmare. You mentioned thieves. Anytime you open up a public roleplay event to IC strife, conflict, and/or discord, you are running the risk of said discord detracting from the actual event. What happens, for example, if you end up with more prospective thieves on a particular night than prospective merchants? Or what happens if a thief gets caught, so to speak, and the resulting row and ruckus drowns out other merchants?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of robbery, burglary, and skullduggery in general when it comes to roleplay. I just foresee a lot of issues with opening a large, regular public event to such things and openly inviting those things to happen.

Otherwise, I'm seconding Sounsyy's suggestions.

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Enla - 02-18-2016

(02-17-2016, 09:00 PM)Melkire Wrote: Love this idea! I've heard folks here and there pitch it back and forth over the past couple of years, and if I recall correctly there have been some groups/companies that have held something similar, but as far as I know no one's gone for a bazaar as a large recurring event. Lots of people I know, myself included, would love to attend, even if only as customers!

I do want to take a moment to point out one possible logistical nightmare. You mentioned thieves. Anytime you open up a public roleplay event to IC strife, conflict, and/or discord, you are running the risk of said discord detracting from the actual event. What happens, for example, if you end up with more prospective thieves on a particular night than prospective merchants? Or what happens if a thief gets caught, so to speak, and the resulting row and ruckus drowns out other merchants?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of robbery, burglary, and skullduggery in general when it comes to roleplay. I just foresee a lot of issues with opening a large, regular public event to such things and openly inviting those things to happen.

Otherwise, I'm seconding Sounsyy's suggestions.
I definitely can see your points and I worried a bit about that as well when I suggested it, saying that permission was needed and all. However you are right in that even then it would be a source of strife regardless and could potentially detract from the enjoyment of anyone joining the bazaar... Hm... I'll put that on the back burner then. I feel like part of me is trying to make it appeal to so many people that I'm ignoring the most obvious issues with some of the ideas, so I really do appreciate you taking the time to point that out in detail!

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - LiadansWhisper - 02-18-2016

I love this idea! And Sounsyy has a good eye for locations. Smile

So far bi-weekly, outside the city states but near aetherytes, potentially having the merchants with actual crafts up yell to announce that fact, and prohibiting thieves without expressed permission...

On the issue of the crafters, I was thinking that perhaps each week I should allow people to apply ahead of time and then separate them on the eventual event thread so people can double check ahead of time what exactly is being sold so there is no confusion?

RE: [Planning Stages][Poll] Merchant's Bazaar - Varinh - 02-18-2016

Hmm. that'd depend upon just how much work you want to put into this. I'm all for the idea of simply roleplaying it as a bazaar and seeing how things turn out, at least for the first one as a test run. That way you can see what kind of turn-out you'll get from merchants and customers, and gauge if such organization will be important. Things can happen in real life or for any reason folks can't get online sometimes, so scheduling crafters sounds like it could potentially lead to disappointment. :O

(02-18-2016, 10:32 PM)Colette Wrote: Hmm. that'd depend upon just how much work you want to put into this. I'm all for the idea of simply roleplaying it as a bazaar and seeing how things turn out, at least for the first one as a test run. That way you can see what kind of turn-out you'll get from merchants and customers, and gauge if such organization will be important. Things can happen in real life or for any reason folks can't get online sometimes, so scheduling crafters sounds like it could potentially lead to disappointment. :O

You make a very good point there. Hmm... I imagine just saying they might 'potentially' be there would still lead to disappointment... Back to the drawing board.
Thank you for your input. ^^