Hydaelyn Role-Players
Inter-species Procreation. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Inter-species Procreation. (/showthread.php?tid=15485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Warren Castille - 03-08-2016

Cross-breeds are confirmed canonically possible. However, consider that there's no way to represent this in your actual representative avatar. You'd be relying on people examining you, noting your search comment and then acting accordingly.

Generally speaking, you can expect a large number of people you might interact with to just ignore it and treat you like your base species. If that's worth the hassle of having to constantly remind people, and the potential stigma of people just avoiding you (since Au Ra are supposed to be "new" to Eorzea, meaning your parents are also a super rare meeting and romance) then go for it.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Edgar - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 08:33 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Cross-breeds are confirmed canonically possible. However, consider that there's no way to represent this in your actual representative avatar. You'd be relying on people examining you, noting your search comment and then acting accordingly.

Generally speaking, you can expect a large number of people you might interact with to just ignore it and treat you like your base species. If that's worth the hassle of having to constantly remind people, and the potential stigma of people just avoiding you (since Au Ra are supposed to be "new" to Eorzea, meaning your parents are also a super rare meeting and romance) then go for it.

I work around this with Edgar by intentionally making his Keeper attributes dominant and the differences brought on by his Seeker blood very subtle, so when the inevitable explanation time comes, I can play it off as them simply not noticing because they were hard to spot to begin with.

(03-08-2016, 08:40 AM)Edgar Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 08:33 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Cross-breeds are confirmed canonically possible. However, consider that there's no way to represent this in your actual representative avatar. You'd be relying on people examining you, noting your search comment and then acting accordingly.

I work around this with Edgar by intentionally making his Keeper attributes dominant and the differences brought on by his Seeker blood very subtle, so when the inevitable explanation time comes, I can play it off as them simply not noticing because they were hard to spot to begin with.

This is an acceptable way to skip around it, but it does lend itself to two other potential hang-ups: The first is that you're telling someone their character isn't attentive enough to catch this in the first place, and the second is that if it never comes up, it's a worthless trait in 95% of your RP. That ties back to what someone else said about examining why you'd want to do it in the first place.

Universal "you" in this paragraph, not calling anyone out specifically. I just want to highlight that even the solutions offer potential problems.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Kage - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 05:37 AM)Nailah Wrote: The official answer from Fernehalwes can be found here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835 
It's not super fleshed out but it does give a gist of it. If it were to happen within RP I'd expect it to be highlighted as rare/unusual, and focus on pondering over how that may affect them long-term, such as how to fit into society.  

Quote:"2. Can different races crossbreed? 

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage."
Another comment from Koji Fox was at Fanfest. There was a question about it at the lore panel or the live stream afterwards.

Here, he also spoke with Gamerescape.

Koji Fox with Gamerescape Wrote:A: Some of the lore makes it sounds like the conflict between the Hyur and Elezen got pretty heated while others make it sound like a long standing tension. What was the extent of those hostilities?

MCKF: I touched on this a little bit today in the live stream and there was a question about relationships between the races and crossbreeding. A lot of it doesn’t happen because while we have all these races living together in Eorzea, there’s this tension between them. That’s there because they have these histories of fighting for a long time and then not really making up, but agreeing to disagree and living together because it’s better than living by our self and being more susceptible to Garlean attacks or whatever. We work together because we have a common enemy type of thing. Most of the races don’t really like each other and it”s gone on through multiple Eras. There are times when Eorzea has been more populated by one race over another and there will be conflict there. With the Hyur and Elezen, that’s very recent. In the sixth astral era, Elezen migrated in and in that era they were like “we’re the first ones here!” even though they weren’t, but they were the first at the beginning of the sixth astral era and they settled and of course the pesky Hyur who are everywhere come in and the Elezen are like “oh my god we left you that whole continent up there why are you here!” and the Lalafell come in and you have these cycles of clashing and moving part and that gets ingrained in their society and their racial cultures. There’s always these power struggles, you’ll have times when the Lalafell rise for whatever reason and they’l side with one group and then turn on another group and that’s one of the reasons there’s not a lot of interracial relationships because even though they’re living in the same towns it’s like well yeah… but you’re an Elezen.

F: I can just imagine some young Elezen bringing home a Hyur woman and the Grandma going “Why couldn’t you have found a nice Elezen girl!”

MCKF: There’s a lot of that going on. Like i mentioned in the stream, in the future we’ll have some characters that are half one race and half another and we’ll see how they’re treated in society and quests with that.

Here are Sounsyy's notes on the additional stream that is not available unless you pay to subscribe to their Twitch iirc now:
(10-18-2014, 08:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Cross-racial?
-adventurers come from different land. From places slightly more “progressive.” Live together but separate. Hyur and elezen had wars. A lot of bad blood between races. Recently races to come together in single nations. Cross Racial is possible, but it doesn’t happen a lot. It’s a cultural thing. 3.0 there will be a cross-racial union.

(03-08-2016, 08:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

This is an acceptable way to skip around it, but it does lend itself to two other potential hang-ups: The first is that you're telling someone their character isn't attentive enough to catch this in the first place, and the second is that if it never comes up, it's a worthless trait in 95% of your RP. That ties back to what someone else said about examining why you'd want to do it in the first place.

Universal "you" in this paragraph, not calling anyone out specifically. I just want to highlight that even the solutions offer potential problems.

I don't think anyone has ever had their character or even OOCly become offended by a potential implication that they may not be attentive in interactions with Edgar. If anything, they seem to roll with it.

(03-08-2016, 09:19 AM)Kage Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 05:37 AM)Nailah Wrote: The official answer from Fernehalwes can be found here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835 
It's not super fleshed out but it does give a gist of it. If it were to happen within RP I'd expect it to be highlighted as rare/unusual, and focus on pondering over how that may affect them long-term, such as how to fit into society.  

Quote:"2. Can different races crossbreed? 

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage."
Another comment from Koji Fox was at Fanfest. There was a question about it at the lore panel or the live stream afterwards.

Here, he also spoke with Gamerescape.

Koji Fox with Gamerescape Wrote:A: Some of the lore makes it sounds like the conflict between the Hyur and Elezen got pretty heated while others make it sound like a long standing tension. What was the extent of those hostilities?

MCKF: I touched on this a little bit today in the live stream and there was a question about relationships between the races and crossbreeding. A lot of it doesn’t happen because while we have all these races living together in Eorzea, there’s this tension between them. That’s there because they have these histories of fighting for a long time and then not really making up, but agreeing to disagree and living together because it’s better than living by our self and being more susceptible to Garlean attacks or whatever. We work together because we have a common enemy type of thing. Most of the races don’t really like each other and it”s gone on through multiple Eras. There are times when Eorzea has been more populated by one race over another and there will be conflict there. With the Hyur and Elezen, that’s very recent. In the sixth astral era, Elezen migrated in and in that era they were like “we’re the first ones here!” even though they weren’t, but they were the first at the beginning of the sixth astral era and they settled and of course the pesky Hyur who are everywhere come in and the Elezen are like “oh my god we left you that whole continent up there why are you here!” and the Lalafell come in and you have these cycles of clashing and moving part and that gets ingrained in their society and their racial cultures. There’s always these power struggles, you’ll have times when the Lalafell rise for whatever reason and they’l side with one group and then turn on another group and that’s one of the reasons there’s not a lot of interracial relationships because even though they’re living in the same towns it’s like well yeah… but you’re an Elezen.

F: I can just imagine some young Elezen bringing home a Hyur woman and the Grandma going “Why couldn’t you have found a nice Elezen girl!”

MCKF: There’s a lot of that going on. Like i mentioned in the stream, in the future we’ll have some characters that are half one race and half another and we’ll see how they’re treated in society and quests with that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It gets even better, though, because the first point in that conversation went like this:

Quote:In general, how open-minded is the average Eorzean? (ex. Accept same-sex couples? Those who do not believe in the Twelve?)

Answer: Though many of the races experienced rocky pasts, currently, tolerance is, for the most part, the norm in Eorzea. The main reason behind this being that the region is a veritable melting pot of races who have worked together throughout recent history to survive the hardships thrust upon them. This does not mean that there are do not exist groups which are significantly more closed-minded. For example, while Gridania and Limsa Lominsa are fairly open about having dealings with the some of the more amicable beast tribes (such as the sylphs, goblins, and Qiqirn), the sultanate of Ul'dah are wary of the tribes, in part due to their prolonged conflict with the Amalj'aa.

The same can be said regarding religion. Each city-state has a patron (matron) deity, and most people in that city-state will follow the teachings of that god or goddess. There are, for the most part, however, no strict religious codes that must be followed. Some Eorzeans will choose to worship a deity connected to their profession (for example, weavers often follow Nymeia the Spinner). Some follow the deity associated with their nameday. There are even some Eorzeans who choose not to follow the teachings of the Twelve, but they are few and far between...and often will not admit it. The exception to this rule can be seen in Ishgard, where they take the teachings of Halone very seriously...to the point that the church and state have become inseparable. They go as far as calling those who do not follow the Fury 'unbelievers,' and those who are found to have communicated with the dragons of Dravania (the mortal enemies of Ishgard), are branded as heretics and in some cases executed.

It's yet one more circumstance of the game showing one thing and the official commentary being contradictory to both what we're shown and in this case, directly what we're told.

So, cross-breeds can happen, but it is exceedingly rare. Tolerance is the norm, but everyone's racist. Same-sex is okay, but cross-race is not. And then there's the static NPC cross-race relationships we're shown (specifically the miqo'te arguing with her hyur lover over eating oysters so they can bang) not to mention Alphinaud being hot for teacher.

Shit's ambiguous, and can be argued both ways forever.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Nodem - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 09:24 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: (specifically the miqo'te urging her lala lover to continue eating oysters so they can bang)

Show Content

I rp'd a half-breed before, and it was as Edgar mentioned, one trait more prominent then the other. It wasn't hiding the fact they were a half-breed, as they'd often show this trait due to a bad habit, it's that sometimes people won't pick up subtle notes/things in RP. Which is 100% fine.

(03-08-2016, 03:56 AM)Tzaia Tesli Wrote: Through all these forums posts ive read on google and such, i am curious.. Can other races procreate with one another? Like say.. Au Ra and Miqo'te? if so, would they have minor traits like eye color or hair color? or something a bit more?

Inter-racial breeding can happen.

If you're wishing to play as a cross-breed, I suggest taking traits from each side as our only real example of a half-breed is Hilda. She takes traits from both her hyur mother and elezen father.
Show Content

Even though it can happen as all the races are humanoid (Hyuroid?) in nature, it rarely does because of each races views, etc. Doesn't mean it can't, just that it's rare as has been stated before...

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Teadrinker - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 03:56 AM)T Wrote: Hey all, long time no see. Zaia coming back with a genuine curiosity about this subject. 

Through all these forums posts ive read on google and such, i am curious.. Can other races procreate with one another? Like say.. Au Ra and Miqo'te? if so, would they have minor traits like eye color or hair color? or something a bit more?

I've been heavily searching but it seem's all i am running across is debates and such, could some one clarify this? if so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Zaia Tesli.

No one can give you anything concrete because there isn't anything. The product of this particular union has not been depicted.

I've wondered if Au Ra/Miqo crossbreeds would come out with a boney-furry tail and one horn and a fuzzy ear. I'm afraid to say I can't really think of a way to make it attractive. Then again, I'm not SE's art department.

I wouldn't be surprised if any upcoming crossbreeds we see are of a more....subdued nature I.E. more Elezen/Hyur or Seeker/Keeper mixes. I don't think you'll see anything outlandish - mainly because they aren't going to want to create the character model for it if they don't have to. The majority of the playerbase doesn't worry about this sort of thing.

My 2 cents.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - PhantasticPanda - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 10:41 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: I've wondered if Au Ra/Miqo crossbreeds would come out with a boney-furry tail and one horn and a fuzzy ear. I'm afraid to say I can't really think of a way to make it attractive. Then again, I'm not SE's art department.

This is a constant struggle I have seeing that my Lalafell is with a Xaela. Its just like... Will it come out a scaly-horned Lalafell? An exceptionally youthful looking Auri with less scales and biggo lalafell ears? Or Lalafell ear-shaped horns? WHAT'S GOING TO COME OUT. DEAR GODS.

This is why cross-breed with different races doesn't work in fantasy, in my opinion. At some point, someone's half-roe, half-lala offspring is going to mate with an au ra and then what the fuck do you even call that abomination?

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Nodem - 03-08-2016

Auladyn seems like a fitting name to me.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Valence - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 08:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

I wouldn't call it 95% worthless most of the time... Especially in that example between Seeker and Keeper, which would imply a really, really interesting twist to explore between both societies, that are complete opposites. Be it a seeker mother with a keeper father, or the other way around. It brings up a lot of considerations on what was the childhood of the character, how they were seen by both sides, etc...

(03-08-2016, 10:54 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: This is why cross-breed with different races doesn't work in fantasy, in my opinion. At some point, someone's half-roe, half-lala offspring is going to mate with an au ra and then what the fuck do you even call that abomination?

That's also why I asked in some other thread I don't remember if cross breed offspring are fertile or not.

If not, that tends to solve half the issue at least, can't go past the first generation...

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - FreelanceWizard - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 09:24 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: It's yet one more circumstance of the game showing one thing and the official commentary being contradictory to both what we're shown and in this case, directly what we're told.

So, cross-breeds can happen, but it is exceedingly rare. Tolerance is the norm, but everyone's racist. Same-sex is okay, but cross-race is not. And then there's the static NPC cross-race relationships we're shown (specifically the miqo'te arguing with her hyur lover over eating oysters so they can bang) not to mention Alphinaud being hot for teacher.

There's also, when you finish the 3.2 MSQ, the hyur woman in the Rising Stones who appears to rather enjoy the company of roegadyn men, possibly two at the same time. Her sister, conversely, seems rather disturbed by the idea -- though given earlier dialogue between those two, there seems to be more going on there than just simple racism.

The read I have on it is that cross-race is looked down upon for a variety of reasons, and it varies based on where, exactly, you are. Limsa, Gridania, and Ul'dah are relatively liberal, with the social consequences of a cross-race relationship being akin to the dev comment ("An elezen? Why, I never! Why couldn't you have found a nice hyuran girl?"). Out in the outlying villages, though, the racism is likely more severe, producing situations like the one in the WP HM prelude quest (and yes, you could argue that's about homosexuality, but we've never once heard NPCs complain about that, whereas racist NPC chatter does appear now and then). Adventurers are likely to be extremely open-minded sorts by virtue of what they do, so they're more likely to be accepting than the average individual. Those who interact with adventurers regularly may have a similar perspective.

One point I'd make is that MCKF has pointed out in interviews that the lore team intentionally makes things ambiguous. This is just a fact of life in the XIV lore. Smile

(03-08-2016, 11:15 AM)Valence Wrote: I wouldn't call it 95% worthless most of the time... Especially in that example between Seeker and Keeper, which would imply a really, really interesting twist to explore between both societies, that are complete opposites. Be it a seeker mother with a keeper father, or the other way around. It brings up a lot of considerations on what was the childhood of the character, how they were seen by both sides, etc...

That's also why I asked in some other thread I don't remember if cross breed offspring are fertile or not.

If not, that tends to solve half the issue at least, can't go past the first generation...

It becomes harder and harder to justify these sorts of things as you go backwards in the timeline, though. Adventurers showed up in huge quantities around the events of 1.0. If your hypothetical character is in their twenties now, that means they were conceived around the time Ala Mhigo fell, which is before that influx.

A miqo'te mixbreed would more-than-likely be raised as one or the other, not a mix. In Keeper society, being the child of a Nunh or a Tia wouldn't mean anything at best or lessen you in the eyes of the tribe at worst. Your father figure, in a matriarchal society that emphasizes the female component, would more than likely not be teaching you culture from another society. You could argue that all of these things somehow happened, certainly, but it stretches the suspension of disbelief.

It's not any better in the reverse, either. A Keeper mother in a Seeker culture would similarly not be spreading the culture of their tribe when surrounded by alpha-males and breeding stock. If we've going to the "Eorzea is racist as hell" angle, it'd also be either ignored or at worst, suppressed since it would sully the tribal lineage. Admittedly, that conclusion is based off of the stereotypes we're shown, but both Keeper and Seeker lore seems to denote that Ethnic Heritage means more than anything to them, which is why Nunhs exist in the first place.

You absolutely could decide to play one of these mixes. There are undoubtedly real-world equivalents people could draw on for inspiration or support to show it could happen. The more likely part is how Edgar mentioned: You downplay it most of the time and only bring it up if things go in the direction where it would become relevant.

Concession time: I'm not drawn in by the various half/kin/other templates people add to characters, so my obvious biases are fairly obvious. That being said, I wouldn't tell anyone not to do these things, I'm just wanting to let people know the trail ahead might be rougher than it could be otherwise. Grognards gonna grognard, but it's with good intentions.

(03-08-2016, 10:54 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: This is why cross-breed with different races doesn't work in fantasy, in my opinion. At some point, someone's half-roe, half-lala offspring is going to mate with an au ra and then what the fuck do you even call that abomination?

Answer: Not happening.

Because the Laladyn is probably sterile.