Hydaelyn Role-Players
Inter-species Procreation. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Inter-species Procreation. (/showthread.php?tid=15485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 05:12 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 05:05 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 04:59 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 02:46 PM)Valence Wrote: Well that's exactly the thing that can make it interesting: not a dual education or anything silly like that, but a character that will have the opportunity or choice (or not) to go explore the other side of his/her legacy and bring some shenanigans in the process. Can be trite as hell, or rather nice if fleshed out properly. Or the character can just say fuck you to his/her upbringing and go to the other side he/she never knew. Or, the character can also be the direct target to mockery, bullying, whatever you fancy.

It's with that in mind that I think cross bred characters can have a justification to be played. If it's just "because rule of cool/edginess", well yeah... Of course.

I agree with everything you've said here. The realest challenge is trying to convince people that you're going to do the story justice, instead of doing what the strawmen and other contemporaries have done with the thing, which is usually "I thought it would be cool, but it has zero narrative impact on my character, I just thought being a half-vampire would be AWESOME."
I mean.

That's ok, isn't it? A player isn't under any obligation to do a concept justice, or prove themselves to anyone. If they want to be a half vampire because it's cool, more power to them. They might have their own group of half unicorn/vampire/demon friends they RP with, and dats fine. 

Obviously there are a lot of special and unique things in the game that we just haven't been shown yet. Vampires or half dragons or whatever are kind of silly, but If it works for you, then go wild.

There's nothing wrong with it all all. Until it turns out that the person playing that half-whatever character is having trouble finding like-minded peers to RP with. Instead, they'll blame the game or the general community for not accepting their character.

Situations like what I just wrote above happen way too often. And then people usually start looking for someone to blame because it's easier  than owning up to a weird concept. It goes back to finding RP vs waiting for RP. To some degree, everyone has their limit of what they'll accept in the game and it doesn't always mesh.
True that!

It goes both ways, like you said. (heh, both ways) I think sometimes this Forum gets a bad rap for being intolerant of anyone who doesn't strictly follow lore. Which is true to an extent.

But coming on and complaining that people won't accept your character is equally annoying. I've seen a lot of both on this site. I think a good rule for people is~

The more unique or lore breaking your character, the more people will have problems with it. Don't make a character outside of the lore unless you're prepared to deal with that fact. If you are, then go hog wild.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Faye - 03-08-2016

And for those bashing the idea of RPing a half-breed character, to the OP and anyone else who may be potentially interested, fuck 'em. There's nothing really "special snowflake" about it beyond them not having actual character models in game; they wouldn't be any stronger or more skilled than pure-blooded characters and I don't think it would be wholly unlikely for them to exist, be it the product of a relationship or a night of passion. Even if it's just for aesthetic purposes (though I wouldn't recommend it, as there'd be a combination of cultures there to explore, and even if they've only known one of their parents there'd still be social issues to face with prejudices against cross-breeding), once again, it doesn't break any lore or make your character OP, so I fail to see how it's problematic. Role-play however you please. Just keep in mind that between societal pressures and biological challenges, crossbreeds are rare, so filling all eight of your character slots on the server with crossbreed characters is ill-advised.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - allgivenover - 03-08-2016

Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?

For a while I had an alt that was 1/4th Elezen 3/4 Hyur, I basically did it to have a french surname.

(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. 
[Image: thNxg3y.jpg]

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Nodem - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?

Well I'm screwed... Since Aoi's child will only be half Au Ra...

As for your question, it'd depend how you'd want it to look but there's lots of way to go about it. Even in real life genetics there are dominate and recessive traits. It could be as simple as choosing a dominate side, as mentioned prior. Maybe a super short au ra for half lala? Might explain the 'boy' Fem Auri that we see walking about.

(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote:  Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?
[Image: zXYYC8v.jpg]

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Paradox - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 05:11 PM)McBeef© Wrote: By the way my new character concept is half dragon, half chocobo, all attitude.

Please look forward to it.

So your character is a new mount? Do we get to ride you, then? >>

Quote:Just keep in mind that between societal pressures and biological challenges, crossbreeds are rare, so filling all eight of your character slots on the server with crossbreed characters is ill-advised.

This. In this instance one is unique, eight is silly, even by my liking. At juncture we also have no idea if crossbreeds are sterile, as there's been no official lore post on it, so it's entirely possible you could even have something in your back line. Or maybe you don't even play a crossbreed. Maybe your character has blood of something else in their ancestry and instead of being born a halfblood, they're born from two of the same race parents but show traits of an ancestor; an atavism. Maybe it's small, like the Miqo'te eyes, or if a Lala, maybe they're a little taller than they should be. Maybe your Midlander has a slightly flatter face form Roe somewhere in the family line. My Lalafell has some Hyuran blood way back in his line, and because of that he's a few inches taller than the max Lalafell height from that particular genetic trait. (He's 3'5"). Little things like that add something unique as well.

For now, we can assume they are or are not sterile because we have no idea. We only have 'real world' examples to go off of, and a lot of people forget. It's not the real world. Normal humans can harness Aether to do all sorts of Shonen anime things, Marauder training has you cutting a boulder in half with an axe, and so on. We can't always apply our real world logic to a fantasy world. Also, it's clear they aren't truly different species in most cases. Miqo'te are just hyur with cat ears who evolved that way, as I recall, so in a sense it's similar to Star Wars 'near human' races who can crossbreed, though rarely in a lot of cases.

So just go with your ideas, and like Faye says. If they don't like it, it's their choice to not acknowledge it. There are people who will, and what makes an RP community great is its diversity.

(03-08-2016, 06:53 PM)A Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 05:11 PM)McBeef© Wrote: By the way my new character concept is half dragon, half chocobo, all attitude.

If you play your cards right Wink

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Roe Dad - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 07:06 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:53 PM)A Wrote:

If you play your cards right Wink
*Plays a wild card draw four!*
[Image: itcantbe-wilddrawfour-obliterate_2b6b40_4840853.jpg]

(03-08-2016, 06:45 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote:  Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?
[Image: zXYYC8v.jpg]

The new face of waifus and ERPers.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - allgivenover - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 06:38 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:18 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Do whatever you want, though I'd be hesitant myself to write like... a Lalafell/Au Ra. Or basically Au Ra/anything. What would it even look like?

As for your question, it'd depend how you'd want it to look but there's lots of way to go about it. Even in real life genetics there are dominate and recessive traits. It could be as simple as choosing a dominate side, as mentioned prior. Maybe a super short au ra for half lala? Might explain the 'boy' Fem Auri that we see walking about.

Yes, but in this case there's enough difference that you basically have to make it up and then inform others of your interpretation, which means inevitably clashing with others while at the same time risking the official lore overwriting you. It's just not a good idea, but by all means do what makes you happy.

What boy Fem Au Ra?

(03-08-2016, 07:26 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 06:38 PM)Nodem Wrote:

Yes, but in this case there's enough difference that you basically have to make it up and then inform others of your interpretation, which means inevitably clashing with others while at the same time risking the official lore overwriting you. It's just not a good idea, but by all means do what makes you happy.

What boy Fem Au Ra?

I've seen a few female Au Ra walking about with the search comment "Is a pretty boy" or the like. That's what I meant by my boy fem au ra comment.

If official lore comes out, I don't think it'll hurt me RP wise or really overide me if people do things differently. Genetics and such. Not everything looks like in a game where we all can, and sometimes do, look alike.

(03-08-2016, 07:52 PM)Nodem Wrote: I've seen a few female Au Ra walking about with the search comment "Is a pretty boy" or the like. That's what I meant by my boy fem au ra comment.

Can confirm. An FC member recently got a commission to draw a male Au Ra who used a female character model.

RE: Inter-species Procreation. - Caspar - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 08:23 PM)Faye Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 07:52 PM)Nodem Wrote: I've seen a few female Au Ra walking about with the search comment "Is a pretty boy" or the like. That's what I meant by my boy fem au ra comment.

Can confirm. An FC member recently got a commission to draw a male Au Ra who used a female character model.
That idea intrigued me, but the dimorphism is so intense i had wondered if it was even feasible for a lizard to be "pretty" in the way I'd wanted.

(03-08-2016, 08:27 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 08:23 PM)Faye Wrote:

That idea intrigued me, but the dimorphism is so intense i had wondered if it was even feasible for a lizard to be "pretty" in the way I'd wanted.

I can say one was flat chested (lowest setting possible for Fem au ra's) and walked around in the Best Man's jacket. I admit they did a decent job to get it to a "boy'ish" setting.