Hydaelyn Role-Players
Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=15495)

Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - isaacmerquise - 03-08-2016

I'm thinking this falls under the category of inquiries but if it doesn't feel free to delete / move my post, I won't feel insulted!

I'm basically looking for a large sized and active free company that puts emphasis on rp, it doesn't bother me what type and style they roleplay with but it would be nice to see it happen every now and again, the last couple free companies I've joined have been really quiet, not much going on but the occasional "who wants to do X dungeon?"

If anyone could throw out a few names of solid RP free companies on Balmung I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Sorry again if this is posted in the wrong place!

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Nebbs - 03-09-2016

Mine is not for you but I wanted to suggest you say a bit more about what you yourself would offer. Mainly to clarify if you are after a spoon feeding RP experience or do you want to run/drive plot for others so ae after a more RP partners style FC?

Many groups become stale without those that lead and act as plot catalyst, while most simply want RP to come and find them. To everything, turn turn.

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Jonexe - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 03:49 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Mine is not for you but I wanted to suggest you say a bit more about what you yourself would offer. Mainly to clarify if you are after a spoon feeding RP experience or do you want to run/drive plot for others so ae after a more RP partners style FC?

Many groups become stale without those that lead and act as plot catalyst, while most simply want RP to come and find them. To everything, turn turn.

Solid advice.

I would also add that many FCs may be quiet in FC chat, but are still actively out there doing things. Being IC all the time is not something all players do. You have to look into events being hosted and find ways to insert yourself into group.

Additionally, many large RP FCs sort of rely on the members getting out their and making their own RP. They are more of a gathering place for like minded individuals. As Nebbs mentioned, you need to figure out exactly what you're looking to get out of a FC before just joining one.

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - C'kayah Polaali - 03-09-2016

I'll throw in that, with the release of 3.2, a lot of people are concentrating on pve right now.

One thing I have noticed through various RP FCs is that most, as Nebbs mentions, do seem to simply want RP to come find them, and this seldom happens. Being proactive about RP is the best way to find it. Paying attention to the people who you want as your RP partners, and trying to make sure they're enjoying the RP, is the best way to retain it.

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Oyuu - 03-10-2016

I agree with pretty much everything said here. Really research the FCs you're joining and make sure they're the type of FC you want. How active do they say they are? Do they host any public RP events or their own private ones, and how frequent are they? Try to attend these events and see for yourself how often they roleplay and in what style, etc. You can also browse their websites and see how active their forums are and that sort of thing. 

Also try to make friends OOC within the company, either by joining the company's voice chat or running those dungeons when asked. By being friendly people will simply want to interact with you more, I've find jumping on discord has led to ramblings about roleplay and my characters and people join in and what do you know, we end up with plans for a new plot.

As for recommendations, I know a few. I've always enjoyed RPing with Jackal and Hide's lot, and my crew also have friends in Ebonbrand. Then there's also mine if you like Skypirates!

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Sarina Alyne - 03-10-2016

I'm having the same issue at the moment, and I suppose rather than posting a new thread, I'll just boop a reply on this one.

Essentially, I'm looking for a somewhat casual roleplay company. While I don't mind a definitive story being present, I'd still like there to be time for casual, slice-of-life moments. Perhaps a communal living/tavern atmosphere?

If anybody has/knows of any free companies that might fit this description, I'd really appreciate the mention.~

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Cassandra - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 12:05 PM)Sarina Alyne Wrote: I'm having the same issue at the moment, and I suppose rather than posting a new thread, I'll just boop a reply on this one.

Essentially, I'm looking for a somewhat casual roleplay company. While I don't mind a definitive story being present, I'd still like there to be time for casual, slice-of-life moments. Perhaps a communal living/tavern atmosphere?

If anybody has/knows of any free companies that might fit this description, I'd really appreciate the mention.~

You may want to look into Wayfarers. They certainly fit into the casual, slice of life atmosphere. Haven't had a chance to meet everyone yet, but those I have met/RPed with have been awesome. ^^

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Sarina Alyne - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 06:01 PM)Cassandra Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 12:05 PM)Sarina Alyne Wrote: I'm having the same issue at the moment, and I suppose rather than posting a new thread, I'll just boop a reply on this one.

You may want to look into Wayfarers. They certainly fit into the casual, slice of life atmosphere. Haven't had a chance to meet everyone yet, but those I have met/RPed with have been awesome. ^^

Thank you very much for the suggestion! They seem like exactly the type of community I'm searching for!

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Cato - 03-10-2016

I generally find that it's effective to single out one or more FC's that appeal to you, be it through one's own research or simply word of mouth. Once you've lined up a few potential targets message a few of the members out of the blue and see if you can arrange to set up some RP with them in advance. 

For extra success don't mention that you want to join straight away - simply state that you're interested in getting involved with their characters. How a FC chooses to treat outsiders is a pretty great way of seeing if they're a good fit in my opinion.

RE: Having a hard time picking a solid RP free company on Balmung - Aurou - 03-11-2016

I think it would be easier to help you out if you were able to give a better idea of what you want. There are a number of FC's that fit those generic requirements, you can probably just shout and get three or four offers. What type of character do you like to play and what type of RP interests you the most? Like the other person in this thread, if you enjoy tavern RP there is a good handful of them out there. If you would rather have a mercenary theme there's another dozen. Slice of life? Some sort of central story?

A good portion of the RPC does open world RP or has IC linkshells and might not utilize FC chat at all. I would suggest attending open invite events and meeting people! Try making a few connections, either through posts here or just random RP out and about. You don't need to be bound by a FC in order to RP.