Hydaelyn Role-Players
Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? (/showthread.php?tid=15579)

Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Nightmare_Work - 03-18-2016

Am I mostly out of luck as far as RP and should just bite the bullet and grind up an Alt on Balmung, or is there a chance I can find some people to play around with out where my main and all my friends hang out?

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - S'imba - 03-18-2016

Well I have an alt there that I rolled when a friend wanted to check the server out. So I'd be willing to rp...though I can't really give advice on finding rp there. 

I can't say whether the transfer would be worth it if you'd be leaving friends behind. Depends on how much you play with them I guess.

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Misharu - 03-18-2016

There is RP on Gilgamesh, actually = D There's a big roleplay linkshell called "Roleplay Gilgamesh", and you can use it to find the RP there. It's very community based and there isn't as much open world RP as there is on Balmung, but it IS there.

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Lydia Lightfoot - 03-18-2016

Supposedly there's RP on Gilgamesh, as well as pockets of RP on other servers, though I can personally neither confirm nor deny these claims. One person will say it's plentiful, alive and well, etc, and another says they can't find any or it's "imploded" or "full of drama" or any of a number of comments which may or may not be A) factual, or B) subject solely to individual perspective. 

I can, however, say with certainty that RP on Balmung is widespread and active.

I can also assure you that it would be far simpler to pay the $18 for a server transfer than to level an alt, considering the rare opportunities to create a new alt on Balmung coupled with the very nice value of the transfer in that you can transfer up to 8 characters at once (in other words, an entire server roster), provided the characters have the same origin server and all of them meet the general transfer requirements noted on the official website's server transfer data page.

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Nightmare_Work - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:31 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Supposedly there's RP on Gilgamesh, as well as pockets of RP on other servers, though I can personally neither confirm nor deny these claims. One person will say it's plentiful, alive and well, etc, and another says they can't find any or it's "imploded" or "full of drama" or any of a number of comments which may or may not be A) factual, or B) subject solely to individual perspective. 

I can also assure you that it would be far simpler to pay the $18 for a server transfer than to level an alt, considering the rare opportunities to create a new alt on Balmung coupled with the very nice value of the transfer in that you can transfer up to 8 characters at once (in other words, an entire server roster), provided the characters have the same origin server and all of them meet the general transfer requirements noted on the official website's server transfer data page.
See, my twofold problem with hopping to Balmung with my character is 1) I'd be ditching a full free company of friends I play with almost weekly and 2) I am to goddamn cheap to shell out 20 bucks extra for a transfer > 3>

But given the other replies in this thread, I may as well dig deep and see who I can't turn up!

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Nightmare_Work - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:29 AM)Misharu Wrote: There is RP on Gilgamesh, actually = D There's a big roleplay linkshell called "Roleplay Gilgamesh", and you can use it to find the RP there. It's very community based and there isn't as much open world RP as there is on Balmung, but it IS there.
Ah! I'll have to go digging for that, thank you!

(03-18-2016, 03:38 AM)Nightmare_Work Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 03:31 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Supposedly there's RP on Gilgamesh, as well as pockets of RP on other servers, though I can personally neither confirm nor deny these claims. One person will say it's plentiful, alive and well, etc, and another says they can't find any or it's "imploded" or "full of drama" or any of a number of comments which may or may not be A) factual, or B) subject solely to individual perspective. 

See, my twofold problem with hopping to Balmung with my character is 1) I'd be ditching a full free company of friends I play with almost weekly and 2) I am to goddamn cheap to shell out 20 bucks extra for a transfer > 3>

But given the other replies in this thread, I may as well dig deep and see who I can't turn up!

These days, it's hard to find much entertainment that doesn't cost $20. :p Movie ticket, popcorn, and a pop, twenty bucks. Eat a meal somewhere that isn't fast food, twenty bucks. Playing a game of laser tag with some friends, twenty bucks. Personally, I looked at it as being $2.50 per character if I did 8 characters, and that seemed pretty okay. 

But, definitely don't jump ship from your friends, though. That's the rub though, really - because part of how a lot of people find RP more easily is to be in an FC that is RP-driven. If your friends aren't into RP, you may eventually feel like you're being pulled in two directions. Hopefully not, though! Smile

RE: Soo... I'm on Gilgamesh? - Juromaro - 03-18-2016

Well as someone from Gilgamesh who transferred to Balmung because I couldn't find any RP here is my assessment from the last month of being on Balmung.

Pros: RP at all hours in Uldah, well any of the main cities. Random RP fate events. Always a PvE group looking to do something. Lots of people, doesn't feel empty.

Cons: Haven't found an LS/FC yet, I have made 3 friends so far but we don't talk much. I did get 2 offers for an FC after posting on these forums but unsure of where I want my character to be. Tried to insert myself into some RP in Quicksand....failed horribly either due to my being a nub RP'er, or the fact that it felt like intruding on established stories/characters idk.

Conclusion: It was worth the 18$ for me since I had no one on Gilga to play with, but on the flip side I don't have anyone to play with on Balmung, I get to observe a ton of World RP, but most of the time I feel left out, either due to my own failings as a RP'er or with Balmung community already being established, idk only time will tell. While there are some folks on these forums that say Balmung is friendly and inviting I don't really get that vibe as a whole. Just my experience, you might experience something entirely different if you are more outgoing than I.

(03-18-2016, 04:57 AM)Juromaro Wrote: Well as someone from Gilgamesh who transferred to Balmung because I couldn't find any RP here is my assessment from the last month of being on Balmung.

Pros: RP at all hours in Uldah, well any of the main cities. Random RP fate events. Always a PvE group looking to do something. Lots of people, doesn't feel empty.

Cons: Haven't found an LS/FC yet, I have made 3 friends so far but we don't talk much. I did get 2 offers for an FC after posting on these forums but unsure of where I want my character to be. Tried to insert myself into some RP in Quicksand....failed horribly either due to my being a nub RP'er, or the fact that it felt like intruding on established stories/characters idk.

Conclusion: It was worth the 18$ for me since I had no one on Gilga to play with, but on the flip side I don't have anyone to play with on Balmung, I get to observe a ton of World RP, but most of the time I feel left out, either due to my own failings as a RP'er or with Balmung community already being established, idk only time will tell. While there are some folks on these forums that say Balmung is friendly and inviting I don't really get that vibe as a whole. Just my experience, you might experience something entirely different if you are more outgoing than I.

Joining an RP FC is basically the cure for outsider feelings, provided that the FC is active and hosts events which are open to the public. Those events give you the opportunity to get exposure to various characters and players who may not often be doing RP in the main cities (a lot of us vary where we RP, and don't really have any one specific frequent hang-out). 

It's important to remember that joining an FC isn't a lifelong commitment. A lot of players will join one and meet some people, and maybe in the process of checking out their events for a few weeks they decide they just don't really fit in, or maybe they don't match up in availability well with the other members, or perhaps during public events they made friends with characters in a different FC - and so they switch FC. The only critical thing there is to make sure you don't drop the 300k to buy a Private Chamber until you're pretty sure you've found the FC you want to call home, because if you leave the FC you don't get that gil back. The game has eaten it!

Generally, the events noted on the calendar here at the RPC are public, though many FCs have public events that aren't on the calendar here. You can also try just sending a message to one of the officers of an FC that seems active and social, and asking what events they might have coming up (or even just asking if there's some RP going on around their FC house at that time, since the active and social FCs usually have some sort of activity going on even if it's just a couple of people).