Hydaelyn Role-Players
Re-designing Serenity - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Re-designing Serenity (/showthread.php?tid=16301)

Re-designing Serenity - Serenity - 06-02-2016

Hey all! I'm back after a fairly long hiatus and I think I'll be making the splash and transferring to Balmung once I get my computer fixed. In keeping with the fresh start idea, I want to re-imagine my character and was hoping I could run my bare-ones list of ideas past people to see what people thought and to maybe see if anyone has any exciting thoughts as to how to flesh my ideas out. 
Here's what I have so far:

TRAITS :
- adept at magic, low physical aptitude
- Skittish, shy and cautious of others
- prone to the suggestions of her summons, may act out of character

BIRTH :
- Female Seeker of the sun, born S'Reyne Teh to S'Teh Nuhn and T'rehza Surche. 
- Unwanted from birth due to the scandal of her dual tribe birth, was left mostly alone and shunned by her father. 

CHILDHOOD :
- shunned by the tribe for her magical aptitude and evasive nature
- pored over any piece of magic related literature she could find
- practiced mostly with the elements of fire and air
- her loneliness and desire for companionship caught the attention of a pair of voidsent imps
- imps took the form of fire and wind elementals
- called those elements her friends, RED and GREEN (will come up with names later) 

TEENAGE :
- rebelled against her tribe, found out truth about her birth
- father recognized the two voidsent, argued with Serenity about it
- father banished her from tribe
- Took the name "Serenity" and gave up her true name. 
- Serenity wandered, strengthening her ties with the pair as she traveled. 
- arrived in Lisa Lominsa and enrolled in the Arcanist guild
- spent years manipulating her elements in conjunction with the summoning practices of the guild. 

YOUNG ADULT :
- voidsent began causing hallucinations and weaving their dark suggestions to Serenity. 
- Would randomly find herself coming to in precarious situations; stealing, trickery, indecent acts, etc. 

So yeah, this is what I have so far. I know it's bending the rules of summoning but I would like to keep that part of her. At any rate, let me know what you think, please!

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Kilieit - 06-02-2016

I think the main thing I'd ask you to bear in mind is that, as it stands, characters might not react well to the summoned creatures. There are three things which I can think of which the average joe might be aware of as "summon-able":
  • carbuncle;
  • voidsent; and
  • primals, and egi of primals.

Unless the creatures look like carbuncle, people are potentially gonna be a bit edgy around them...

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

As a genuine question that I hope might help you get a better handle on this: how far is your character willing to go to bring her companions into the world, as it were?

If volunteering for deadly expeditions and contacting esoteric scholars was what it took to give form and purpose to the friends she's imagined for herself, would your character undergo it? What about learning to create or maintain complex magitek devices? Pouring over books to try and understand why the geometry she's spent weeks working on still won't bring a functional carbuncle into the world?

Because the answer to that question means a lot when it comes to your character's underlying temperament. And if she's more content to take the "easy way out", or doesn't want to risk herself, well... do you want Voidsent? Because that's how you get Voidsent. ;) (Or, y'know, just straight-up Primals.)
The unfortunate references: Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard); Azys Lla MSQ.

I mean, this also could also be a storyline you could run with other players - i.e. she starts out having these desires, and sets out to bring them into fruition with the help and input of the people you meet. But that depends on whether you feel like roleplaying her "going without" her companions or not.

I don't know what purpose the summoning thing is serving to you as a player. Why is it a concept you're so fond of? What about it makes it so immutable from her character concept? That might help people make meaningful suggestions about fleshing it out, rather than just taking stabs in the dark like I have been here xD

I hope something I wrote was helpful, at the least...

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Serenity - 06-02-2016

Wow Kilieit... That was a lot to digest. I guess what I'm looking for I'd to convey that one of her major character flaws would be that constant yearning for companionship. I suppose after looking at your descriptions, the voidsent or the custom carbuncle could work, but either way, she'd still need the summoner stone in order to have them around. I'm not exactly looking to follow the lore 100%, but the closer I can stick to it the better

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Serenity - 06-03-2016

Ok after some thought I did a little editing and changes. Would love more input from anyone who wishes to share!

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Kodie - 06-03-2016

Sounds pretty good so far, the Voidsent pretending to be elementals is intriguing, now does she know they are voidsents, or have they been tricking her all this time?

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Serenity - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 02:51 PM)Kodie Wrote: Sounds pretty good so far, the Voidsent pretending to be elementals is intriguing, now does she know they are voidsents, or have they been tricking her all this time?

It would be utter trickery, she'd be under the impression that they were her friends and would have only ever seen them as RED and GREEN

RE: Re-designing Serenity - Kodie - 06-03-2016

I think that would make for a good story, hope it works out!